Computer Related > Stupid, stupid, stupid! Computing Issues
Thread Author: neiltoo Replies: 8

Stupid, stupid, stupid! - neiltoo
I've just mistakenly deleted all the photos off the camera memory card (Sandisk Ultra 11)

Is there a quick way to get the important ones back?

8o(
 Stupid, stupid, stupid! - No FM2R
First, do nothing with the card. And get it out of the camera now to avoid anything happening.

If you can put it into your computer then all well and good, if not you can by a USB holder/adaptor for it, they're pretty cheap.

e.g. www.amazon.co.uk/Usb-Adapter-For-Micro-Card/dp/B001U7R1CM

Then install some undelete software. There's loads about but I used Recuva when No. 2 did a similar thing about a week ago. This will search and find all the files it can and give the the option to restore them.

It doesn't necessarily preserve the filenames though.

As long as you don't use the card beforehand you may well get all/most of them back.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Tue 22 Oct 13 at 15:30
Thanks for that.
I knew there was something, but couldn't remember.

8o)
 Stupid, stupid, stupid! - FocalPoint
Good advice above.

Don't beat yourself up about it - we've all done it. Well, maybe not all, but I certainly got into a mess when I suddenly couldn't read a camera memory card via my card reader, after which the camera wouldn't read it either.

I came to the conclusion it was one or both of two things: a duff card, or a duff card reader (which was from one of those pound shops). I now use a Sandisk card and a better-quality card reader and have had no problems whatsoever.

I seem to remember none of the free recovery programs worked very well on a card that the computer didn't even recognise and I paid for one, which did the job. (PC Tools File Recover, described by PC Advisor as a bargain.) Obviously you try the free stuff first.
 Stupid, stupid, stupid! - SteelSpark
Good advice above. I would just add one thing.

Make sure that you don't try to recover the files to card itself, but to a separate drive. This is because Recuva might start to restore the files to space that contains other deleted files.

To be extra sure, if the card has a write-protect tab, I would enable it.
Last edited by: SteelSpark on Tue 22 Oct 13 at 16:36
 Stupid, stupid, stupid! - smokie
Few years back I had a good experience with Image Recall. It has a demo which back then limited the number of pics you could recover, but I'd only deleted one - of the Mrs with a well known motor racing driver (Stefan Ortelli)

www.imagerecall.com/

Here's one which says it's totally free, not used it so can't comment on it - a review implies 2Gb data limit. Also might be for microSD only.

www.easeus.com/data-recovery/card-recovery-software/micro-sd-recovery.htm
 Stupid, stupid, stupid! - Stuartli
Recuva is the most recommended solution - I have it on my Desktop just in case...:-)

www.piriform.com/recuva
Well....

Installed Recuva, Inserted card, found almost everything I ever had on the card, in about four minutes.

Most impressive - and reminded me to use the CCleaner drive wiper more often....

Sincere thanks to all

8o)
 Stupid, stupid, stupid! - No FM2R
Well done.

Now [in best, PlaySchool, patronising voice] what did we all learn about only having one copy of our photographs?
Latest Forum Posts