Computer Related > Sound of silence Computing Issues
Thread Author: maltrap Replies: 11

Sound of silence - maltrap
The speakers on my computer have stopped working, the power light is on, the volume is turned up and everything plugged in. Can anyone suggest to this computer novice likely causes and cures. Thanks in anticipation.
 Sound of silence - Zero
Botton right hand corner of the tool bar, small speaker icon, does it have a line or cross through it? click it and slide the slider up
 Sound of silence - spamcan61
Are you sure the sound hasn't been muted in Windows?

In Win7 click:-

Start > control panel > hardware and sound > adjust system volume

and check there isn't a red circle through the speaker icon at teh bottom of each slider, if there is click it so the sound is enabled.

Similar options for Vista and XP
Thanks both, my system is Windows Vista, i've clicked on the speaker icon, which doesn't have a bar through it, and moved the slider up to max, also gone into control panel, the volume control is on max and no bar through it. Neither have had any effect.
 Sound of silence - Zero
Are the speakers plugged into the PC? do they go "click" when its turned on.
 Sound of silence - No FM2R
Just some thoughts.....

Right click on the Volume/Speaker icon and open "Volume Mixer" or type volume into the start search bar. This will bring up the volume controls.

Start some music playing. I realise that you cannot hear any noise, but is the volume level indicator on the volume mixer jumping up and down indicating that it is at least playing nose, even if you can't hear it?

It may be set to the wrong device. On W7 is would be ...

Control Panel / Hardware and Sound / Manage Audio Devices

Vista will be similar.

If some music is playing and you have more than one device, then the volume level will be dancing up and down next to the selected one. Is it the one you expect?

Click on it, then select properties. Under "Advanced" is a test button. click it and see what you get.
The speakers are plugged in, and they" click "if i remove and re-insert jackplug. The volume mixer does bounce up & down when music is played but no sound. When i go into control panel etc i can't locate the "advanced" setting.
Thanks for your efforts.
Go to control panel.

When in control panel, you are now looking for something along the lines of Hardware and/or Sound.

If you go into that, then you should see something like "Audio Devices" or "Manage Audio Devices".

Clicking on that should take you to a window showing all the audio devices. Then go back to my last note.
 Sound of silence - smokie
You could try uninstalling the driver and re-installing.

Right click on Computer in an Explorer window, click Properties.

Click on Device Manager

Click on Sound, Video and Game Controllers

(Check first that none have a No Entry sign over them, if one does then that's the problem).

Right click on your sound device, click Uninstall, and check the box to delete the driver then click OK

Then on the Action tab at the top, click Scan for Hardware Changes to re-add your device

(Just noticed you are on Vista - the principle will be similar, words may differ)
Last edited by: smokie on Sun 15 Dec 13 at 18:32
Thank you all for your advice, after a lot of clicking, poking,prodding,plugging & unplugging, huffing & puffing, the sound is back, i'm currently listening to an ad' for funeral plans ! I was nearly a customer!
Thanks again
Last edited by: VxFan on Fri 27 Dec 13 at 00:54
In amongst it all, did you manage to work out what it was? (in case it happens again).
I came across a page marked Realtek speakers.

I think it was something on there.

Got that excited when the sound came on, should have made a note.
Latest Forum Posts