Computer Related > Update KB 979909 won't install Miscellaneous
Thread Author: L'escargot Replies: 11

Update KB 979909 won't install - L'escargot
Update KB 979909 was downloaded as part of a package of automatic updates but it won't install. Any suggestions?
 Update KB 979909 won't install - Zero
Well first off I did a search on google for "update kb 979909"

and the fourth hit down was this.

forums.techarena.in/windows-update/1344698.htm
Thanks Zero. I take back all I've said about you. Well, some of it anyway!
Until such time as I manage to get the update installed, is there any way of getting rid of the constant icon reminder on the system tray which says that there are are updates ready to be installed? Hiding inactive icons doesn't seem to do it.
Last edited by: L'escargot on Tue 15 Jun 10 at 08:36
 Update KB 979909 won't install - Crankcase
I've not seen this specific problem on workstations, but certainly have on servers. The answer has always been (so far) to simply download the offending patch on its own and install it separately.

You can get it by going to the MS download centre and searching for it by number, or here is a short url to it, if that helps.

tinyurl.com/27adrsd

As always, no guarantees or come back if it fails or screws your machine up, so take all sensible precautions vis a vis backups etc first!
>> I've not seen this specific problem on workstations, but certainly have on servers. The answer
>> has always been (so far) to simply download the offending patch on its own and
>> install it separately.

What happens to the patch which has already been downloaded and which refuses to install? Can you delete it first? If so, how?
>> What happens to the patch which has already been downloaded and which refuses to install?
>> Can you delete it first? If so, how?
>>

If I can't delete the patch which has already been downloaded, I will be left with a permanent icon that tells me I have updates ready to be installed. That's one of the things which is bugging me.
 Update KB 979909 won't install - Zero
You can unmark patches, and tell the installer never to remind you about that one again. I have several I havent accepted and never get nagged about them

Last edited by: Zero on Thu 17 Jun 10 at 17:46
 Update KB 979909 won't install - John H
>> >> What happens to the patch which has already been downloaded and which refuses to
>> install?
>> >> Can you delete it first? If so, how?
>> >>
>>
>> If I can't delete the patch which has already been downloaded, I will be left
>> with a permanent icon that tells me I have updates ready to be installed. That's
>> one of the things which is bugging me.
>>

L'escargot, You worry too much.

If you are really paranoid, first make a full back up of your PC.

Then clear all your temp files which may clear your downloaded patch.
www.ehow.com/how_5082295_delete-temp-files-xp.html

Then go back to restore point on your PC to a time earlier than the patch was downloaded.
Then try the manual install method or the method given the link in Zero's reply to your OP.

However, after making a full back up, why not contact Microsoft free of charge, they will take you through all the steps one by one. Here is how
Start a free Windows Update support incident email request:
support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?gprid=6527

Update KB 979909 won't install - Crankcase
No, you install it standalone, and then it sorts itself out ok in my experience and decides the patch is installed, so it doesn't nag.

As I say, the only qualification I should add is that this on servers, but I can't see it will be any different on a workstation.
 Update KB 979909 won't install ~ update - L'escargot
Without me taking any further action, Windows Update KB 979909 installed itself on 14th July. Nevertheless, thanks to everyone for your suggestions.
Last edited by: L'escargot on Sat 17 Jul 10 at 07:32
 Update KB 979909 won't install ~ update - Stuartli
I recently got a new system with Windows7 and found that, occasionally, I need to download and install MS updates by choosing "Run as Administrator" (right click on Windows Update in Programs or the Updates panel file details).

That's despite me having full Administration rights as the User as well.
Latest Forum Posts