Computer Related > Advice sought looking for a new desktop Computing Issues
Thread Author: gramar Replies: 16

Advice sought looking for a new desktop - gramar
My desktop computer is over 8 years old but has proved reliable. It runs Windows XP support for which ends in April hence my decison to consider a new one.

I use my computer for web browsing, photography and word processing. I do not use it for gaming, tweeting and I'm not on Facebook nor do I download music or films. What I need is a fast processor and plenty of RAM for post processing/storage of photographs. I'm reluctant to try Windows 8 because it has not been well received. I'm so used to XP and do not wish to buy a MAC. Updating will allow me to use more sophisticated software for my photographic work if I choose well.

Not being knowledgeable what can anyone recommend.
 Advice sought looking for a new desktop - steveincornwall
Recently upgraded my desktop from XP mainly for photo work, got one of these,

h20386.www2.hp.com/UKStore/Merch/Product.aspx?id=E3H36EA&opt=ABU&sel=PCDT

At the time it was £40 pounds cheaper direct from HP but they are now charging same as PC World et al.
Found it very good for photoshop elements and Zoner Photo studio. Only do stills so can't comment on video abilities. Upgraded (free) to 8.1 straight away and I would really recommend it, Windows 7 feels way too slow in comparison. Don't be put off by the W8 knockers, try it for yourself.

Steve.

www.flickr.com/photos/96617110@N06/sets/72157636459236233/

Advice sought looking for a new desktop - Zero
Windows 8 is different is all, its a very stable and quick OS and knocks spots off Win XP. Because a new PC come loaded with windows 8 is no reason not to consider it.

For photo work you'll need one with 8gb of memory min so that means Windows 64 bit. Your photo editing suite of choice will work on 8 (I have PS CS4 running on it for example)
 Advice sought looking for a new desktop - No FM2R
>>Windows 8 is different is all,

I detest it and find it a right royal pain in the a***. No doubt one day I will have no choice, but until then its W7 for me.
 Advice sought looking for a new desktop - VxFan
>> It runs Windows XP support for which ends in April

Next year now.

www.car4play.com/forum/post/index.htm?t=16202
 Advice sought looking for a new desktop - spamcan61
No idea id the company are any good or not but a reasonable price core i5 win7 desktop here:-

tinyurl.com/corei5-at-amazon
 Advice sought looking for a new desktop - spamcan61
..or a 'certified refurb' from Dell outlet for around the same price:-

tinyurl.com/dell-outlet-refurb
 Advice sought looking for a new desktop - rtj70
It's only the anti-malware support that's been extended. There won't be fixes for XP security holes and the problem is if something is identified and fixed in later versions of Windows then this tells hackers what vulnerability to attach in XP.
 Advice sought looking for a new desktop - Aretas
I think most stores will now only offer W8.

I have in the last week bought a Chillblast desktop with W7 and a solid state hard disk. My old pc was also 8 years old and I was fed-up with its speed of operation - due to bloating of software, not lack of pc maintenance. Start-up is 20 seconds and switch-off 10 seconds, and anything I click appears more or less instantly.

However if you don't know too much about computers you may find their website a bit daunting and need someone to help. Maybe the Chillblast help desk, but I didn't use them so don't know how good they are. Or just email them a spec of what you are trying to do and ask for their recommendation.
 Advice sought looking for a new desktop - RattleandSmoke
If you buy a machine with Windows 8 Pro it comes with downgrade rights to Windows 7.
 Advice sought looking for a new desktop - Zero
but not always the media source to do it.
 Advice sought looking for a new desktop - RattleandSmoke
Only done it with an HP Probook and that came with both media for Win8 and Win7. When it comes to desktops I also build them for my clients as they get proper parts (WD Blacks) and a choice of OS etc and a nice Asus or Gigabyte board for not much more than it would cost in the shops.

Found little choice in the big stores for desktops these days as most people buy crappy cheaply made consumer grade laptops.
Last edited by: RattleandSmoke on Fri 24 Jan 14 at 19:57
 Advice sought looking for a new desktop - sherlock47
I have used euro pc who supply Dell amongst other makes. Overstocks, refurbs many with a Dell 3 yr onsite nbd warranty. I must have sourced about 10 machines all very good value and only 1 minor problem that was immediately resolved with a telephone call - and subsequent free supply of an additional DVD drive.
Stock varies. The prices are not as competiive as they used to be 5 years ago, but possibly worth looking.

www.europc.co.uk
 Advice sought looking for a new desktop - No FM2R
Just Pro?
 Advice sought looking for a new desktop - Crankcase
Bunch of colleagues have gone w8 or w8.1.

Of those, about 75% are ok with it, and the other 25% are reduced virtually to tears with it. One poor chap was red in the face and screaming the words "I'll b***** give them b***** charms where the sun don't shine" from under the table.

If you like it and get on with it, it's fine, but if you don't you'll really really hate it, in my view.

Advice sought looking for a new desktop - rtj70
Apparently HP has brought back Windows 7 - not sure if it applies to the UK:

www.tomshardware.com/news/hp-hewlett-packard-windows-7-windows-8-explanation,25860.html
 Advice sought looking for a new desktop - gramar
Thanks everyone for your advice. I've just successfully migrated to Windows 7 without replacing my computer set up. All it needed was increase of RAM from 1GB TO 3GB.
Last edited by: gramar on Wed 19 Feb 14 at 14:03
Latest Forum Posts