Computer Related > iPhone updates Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Meldrew Replies: 12

iPhone updates - Meldrew
My iPod offers to update my installed Apps, from time to time. My iPhone never does, can I take it that it updates itself automatically, please
 iPhone updates - Zero
No you can't take it, it does not update itself (well it will offer when you put the appropriate update on it)

You need to connect it to your PC and fire up iTunes (if it doesn't fire it up itself)

What version of iPhone iOS are you on?
Last edited by: Zero on Fri 31 Jan 14 at 16:40
 iPhone updates - VxFan
>> No you can't take it, it does not update itself

In the settings menu there is an option for auto updates. Guy at work thought he hadn't had any updates for his Apps for a while. Turns out that in the "automatic downloads" menu it was switched on. This was only after he had updated to iOS7.
 iPhone updates - Zero
As I said, it does not auto update until you update.......
 iPhone updates - VxFan
Lets see what iOS version he's running before jumping to conclusions.
 iPhone updates - Meldrew
I am running the current version of IOS7. When I back up and synch via my laptop I am told if there is an IOS7 update but nothing else is offered SFAIK. IOS 7.0.4
Last edited by: Meldrew on Fri 31 Jan 14 at 17:09
 iPhone updates - VxFan
Well I don't know about earlier iOS versions, but in the current one (iOS7) in the setting menu --> "iTunes & Ap Store" there is an option to allow automatic downloads for music, Apps, and Updates. Either switch on or off - I have all mine set to off so that I can see what needs updating, and whether I want to permit it or not.

There is also a setting that you want to make sure is switched off - that is "Use Mobile Data" otherwise you'll eat into your monthly data allowance from your mob phone provider.
 iPhone updates - Meldrew
Thank you for that info. Having gone into that bit of settings I find that Updates are included in my automatic downloads. Result!
 iPhone updates - Zero
G>> Thank you for that info. Having gone into that bit of settings I find that
>> Updates are included in my automatic downloads. Result

BUZZZZZZ no wrong answer! The last thing you want is automatic updates therein lies the road to agro. Always wait till some other poor sucker has suffered a crap update and the problems resolved before you update
 iPhone updates - VxFan
>> BUZZZZZZ no wrong answer! The last thing you want is automatic updates therein lies the road to agro. Always wait till some other poor sucker has suffered a crap update and the problems resolved before you update

I think we've all been there at some point and found out the hard way.

However, if you get the Delorean out the garage, you can go back in time and re-install the old App (provided of course you haven't updated it in iTunes, or deleted the old one from the recycle bin if you have).

The following info isn't entirely correct - it refers to an earlier version of iTunes I think.

www.iphonefaq.org/archives/971543

I've managed to get it to work when I've updated an App before checking for any negative reviews.
Last edited by: VxFan on Mon 3 Feb 14 at 01:42
 iPhone updates - Zero
>> I am running the current version of IOS7. When I back up and synch via
>> my laptop I am told if there is an IOS7 update but nothing else is
>> offered SFAIK. IOS 7.0.4

Well you are not being offered one, because 7.0.4 is the latest level
 iPhone updates - VxFan
>> Well you are not being offered one, because 7.0.4 is the latest level

He's asking about App updates though, not iOS updates.

"My iPod offers to update my installed Apps, from time to time. My iPhone never does"
 iPhone updates - Zero
Ah right - slaps head.
Latest Forum Posts