Computer Related > broadband - microfilter for phone socket Computing Issues
Thread Author: Focusless Replies: 15

broadband - microfilter for phone socket - Focusless
Just wanted to check I'm doing the right thing - this is our master socket:
i969.photobucket.com/albums/ae173/focushj/socket_zps0d5016de.jpg

The broadband router is connected to the cable that comes out of the top - the socket's in the hall (next to the leccy meter), and the router is in a room off the hall.

But as far as I know the cable signal is the same as what comes out the socket on the front (used for the phone), and I need a filter on both. Is that correct?
 broadband - microfilter for phone socket - Bromptonaut
IIRc the filter takes out data signal which would otherwise be audible on the phone. If lead only serves the router then it does not need a filter. OTOH, of there's an extension phone on there as well as router then it does.
Hmmm... there's only the router on the lead coming out of the top of the box. But is the phone which is connected via the socket on the front of the box electrically on the same lead, if you see what I mean?
 broadband - microfilter for phone socket - Zero
>> Hmmm... there's only the router on the lead coming out of the top of the
>> box. But is the phone which is connected via the socket on the front of
>> the box electrically on the same lead, if you see what I mean?

All the sockets should be in parallel. There will be a couple of components across the pair in the master socket.

If you don't have a noise problem on the phone, or a problem with the broadband rate then its all ok.
 broadband - microfilter for phone socket - Fursty Ferret
You'd be better off fitting one of these:

tinyurl.com/k8kk5t6

You simply remove the existing faceplate and plug this in, then replace the original on top. It's what Openreach fit if they have to visit your home for any broadband-related issue.

Comes with extra long screws and takes about 2 minutes to fit, and the advantage is that you don't need to use filters on any other sockets in your home. Disadvantage, of course, is that you'll need to have the router next to the master socket which in itself is not a bad thing, as internal wiring tends to degrade the speed by 10-20%.

Edit: If you have a push-down tool you can actually route the wiring for your hall socket directly from the filtered section. It's a very neat setup. But I stand by my original suggestion of just plugging it into the master socket.
Last edited by: Fursty Ferret on Sun 2 Feb 14 at 15:57
 broadband - microfilter for phone socket - Stuartli
An Openreach engineer checking out a noisy BT telephone line for me about four years ago fitted a Master Socket filtered plate for me at the time and it proved a Godsend...:-) Microfilters generally seem to pack up after a year or so and this ended the problem of suddenly reduced download speeds.
 broadband - microfilter for phone socket - Dog
Wozzit one of these effendi: tinyurl.com/o4sumxw (the bay)
The ADSL signal is audible as 'white noise' on the phone. The filter connects to the socket via a short fly lead and has a filtered output (phone) and unfiltered one (ADSL). You need a filter on the phone side but, unless there's a phone on the same extension lead as the router it does not need a filter though there woul be no harm in fitting one.

One of our tech guys will be along shortly to prove me wrong!!
 broadband - microfilter for phone socket - Fursty Ferret
Works both ways, Bromtonaut. So voice on the line is effectively noise over the ADSL signal. That's why everything plugged in needs to be filtered, either at the master socket or with individual filters.

There's one exception to this, and that's if the modem is the only thing on the line.
Cheers FF I'd always heard it explained in terms of ADSL noise on analogue vox and fax calls rather than vv.

This guide www.clarity.it/telecoms/adsl_wiring.htm and Wiki though both suggest that the ADSL signal is unfiltered.
Thanks for the help chaps.

Regarding Fursty's suggestion of fitting one of those faceplates, unfortunately the socket is tucked away behind a box that has been fitted around the meter/fuse box to tidy things up; it would be quite a fiddle I think. And TBH I'm not keen on doing it myself. Plus I doubt Mrs F would like the router (specifically, more wires, including the one to the powerline plug) in the hall.

I'll try removing the filter on the router and see what happens, although I might wait a week. We switched to Sky on Thursday evening, and the system is still working out what line speed it can support. We were getting 12+Mbps with O2; Sky started off at a default 4Mb, and it's been going up at approx 2Mb per day since, with it back to 12.5 when I measured it this morning (it's a '16' Mbps package, O2 was '20').
>> I'll try removing the filter on the router and see what happens

Well I was going to try that today, but had overlooked the fact that the phone socket on the wall that the filter plugs into isn't the same type of socket as the one in the filter which the router plugs into. That is, I cannot physically plug the router directly into the phone socket.

Presumably there are cables which will allow me to do so, but I haven't got one at the moment.

By the way, the switch to Sky appears to have fixed the slow upload problem I mentioned:
www.car4play.com/forum/post/index.htm?t=15907&v=f

Either it was some sort of incompatibility between the O2 router and my laptop (iPhone was fine), or laptop sorted itself and I've only just noticed.
 broadband - microfilter for phone socket - Slidingpillar
Add a BT Iplate to the master socket, and you'll get your speed up at an extension.

My master socket is no-where near a mains socket, and the advantage of putting the WiFi ADSL router upstairs is increased range of WiFi. Handy for visiting my neighbours as it then works in their kitchen!
>> Add a BT Iplate to the master socket

Thanks SP but in case you didn't spot it Fursty suggested that up-thread. The main problem is its inaccessibility.
 broadband - microfilter for phone socket - Slidingpillar
Sorry, I'll get my coat :o(
:)

I'm not too bothered about another 5 or 10% - what we've got is plenty fast enough. For downloads anyway; something faster than 1Mbps would be handy when uploading photos, or videos especially, but it would need a different broadband package rather than just a new faceplate.
Last edited by: Focusless on Thu 6 Feb 14 at 19:52
Latest Forum Posts