Computer Related > HP Scanjet 4850 & Vista 64-bit Computing Issues
Thread Author: FocalPoint Replies: 5

HP Scanjet 4850 & Vista 64-bit - FocalPoint
I've had the above on my computer for several years - seemed to work well at first, but over time it has gradually become more of a problem.

I wasted a fair bit of time yesterday scanning a number of documents - frequent crashes/freezes, distorted images - and decided I would uninstall the software and re-install it.

Nothing but trouble resulted. A combination of manual deletion and Revo Uninstaller eventually seemed to get rid of it. I downloaded the latest HP software, which is a complete package of some imaging suite as well as drivers. When I tried to install, it appeared to work, but left no desktop icon and no way to actually start the program. I downloaded an HP scanner doctor utility, which reported problems with Twain and told me to disconnect and reconnect my printer, with no effect.

I wonder if this is where the problems lie, in that there used to be an HP printer installed.

If I try to uninstall the scanner software from Control Panel, the entry under Programs is dead. If I re-run the installer and ask to uninstall, it just closes.

I have also tried to install from Safe Mode - no difference.

So I'm stuck with what looks like a partial installation of the software and no working scanner.

I'm seriously wondering if I should just buy another scanner.
 HP Scanjet 4850 & Vista 64-bit - Zero
twainforum.org/viewtopic.php?p=14498&sid=4cc68989c4352f4cee1be746bb4ab7dc

And yes, Get a new Scanner/printer that does not use Twain. It always was a C-O-S even in the 16 bit days.
Thanks, Z. I take your point (and link) about Twain being a problem.

"Get a new Scanner/printer that does not use Twain."

I bought a stand-alone printer not that long ago and don't therefore want an all-in-one, just a dedicated scanner.

So how would I know if a scanner I was interested in buying doesn't use Twain? (I mean, I don't expect the spec to say, "This scanner does not use that C-O-S called Twain.")
Update:

I've discovered I can download a basic set of drivers which makes the scanner accessible from programs like Gimp, which I use for editing. From there I can specify the use of WIA drivers*. As this allows quite a few settings for resolution etc. I'm happy with that for now.

*Is this what Zero means - WIA, not TWAIN?
 HP Scanjet 4850 & Vista 64-bit - Zero
>> Update:
>>
>> I've discovered I can download a basic set of drivers which makes the scanner accessible
>> from programs like Gimp, which I use for editing. From there I can specify the
>> use of WIA drivers*. As this allows quite a few settings for resolution etc. I'm
>> happy with that for now.
>>
>> *Is this what Zero means - WIA, not TWAIN?
Yes thats what I meant. Twain more or less went west when scanners became USB connected, tho they hung on for a while.
Last edited by: Zero on Tue 4 Feb 14 at 20:35
Another update:

I found something useful to get rid of the last remnants of HP from my computer. There's a Microsoft facility which you can run from here:

tinyurl.com/9dfw4o4

It will scan for problems associated with programs that will not install or uninstall properly because of registry problems and deal with them. I found a lot of stuff that doesn't even appear in Control Panel and got rid.
Latest Forum Posts