Computer Related > Adding a 3rd Powerline adaptor. Computing Issues
Thread Author: Fenlander Replies: 4

Adding a 3rd Powerline adaptor. - Fenlander
Are all Powerline adaptors compatible? Due to the new PC setup I need to add a third to the two we've had for a couple of years (supplied by BT for our vision box). I can't find a clear answer online.

The current ones are marked - Simpler Network 200Mb/s. In their instructions it says to use the same make/model if adding extras but info online hints it doesn't matter what the make is.
 Adding a 3rd Powerline adaptor. - Focusless
You can get a 200Mbps twin pack for £16, and it says "Compatible with all other 200/500Mbps HomePlug AV certified adapters". So if your existing ones are certified, and the new ones don't work, you should be able to return them.
www.ebuyer.com/263575-tp-link-200mbps-powerline-adapter-twin-pack-tl-pa211kit

Alternatively you can get something more specific on Amazon for £41 (single unit):
tinyurl.com/owvhfc9

Personally I'd take a chance and go for the cheaper option.
 Adding a 3rd Powerline adaptor. - smokie
I have two sets, one in use with a wireless (Edimax) and one on the shelf (TPLink). I think they were supposed to be compatible but they weren't immediately and I was replacing the wired with wireless so didn't investigate further. I think all I was trying was the Edmax wireless adapter with the TPLink being the one plugged into the router. I can test again over the weekend if required.

But if I was buying again I would go for the same make just to be sure.
Thanks guys it does seem the ability to mix makes and the online advice that it will/might/doesn't work is very variable. Sadly my existing ones are a now discontinued BT type which I could get on Ebay as there are loads listed but I have to source one this lunchtime in town. I'll just get the same as those Ebuyer ones but from Argos... £9 more but time is crucial.... at least I can take them back if they don't work.
Oh well back from Argos I can say for sure the TP-Link powerline adaptors in the Ebuyer link above work fine with the original Simpler Network ones that we already had in place. Just one push of the link button and the new one added to the system without any hassle.

Now to see if the old printer and new HD webcam will setup as easily on 8.1.
Latest Forum Posts