Computer Related > Brainwave req! Computing Issues
Thread Author: devonite Replies: 9

Brainwave req! - devonite
friend just brought around his laptop for a memory upgrade, and I have a 2gb module to put in, but, someone in the past has tried to do the same it appears, without success!
The one small phillips screw that fastens the flap has had it's cross-heads stripped and all there is left is a conical dimple.
Ideas to remove needed please as i dont want to use my impact driver on it!!

T I A.
 Brainwave req! - Victorbox
Long nosed pliers and a strong grip!
 Brainwave req! - No FM2R
Can you drill the head of the screw off?

Then pliers should be able to get the stub out.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Tue 4 Mar 14 at 18:44
 Brainwave req! - T junction
www.maplin.co.uk/p/rolson-6-part-damaged-screw-and-bolt-remover-n18cx

I have a set of these, seem to work quite well, but not tried them on anything as small as this.
 Brainwave req! - Robin O'Reliant
A small drill and force a Torx bit into the hole.
Last edited by: Robin O'Reliant on Tue 4 Mar 14 at 19:45
Thanks for the suggestions, will try the drill method as there is no room for long-pliers in the hole!
 Brainwave req! - VxFan
>> Ideas to remove needed please

Small chisel (or scriber/dot punch) and tap lightly on the edge of the screw in the undo direction.
Cheers Chaps! started to drill it out With my Dremmel and as soon as the bit bit it unscrewed, a tip I must remember for the future!
 Brainwave req! - bathtub tom
>> Cheers Chaps! started to drill it out With my Dremmel and as soon as the
>> bit bit it unscrewed

So I assume you were trying to drill it out with the drill bit turning the 'wrong' way?

Unless you've got some LH drill bits.
No, after i'd posted I realised that i'd stripped the threads out of the hole! - still, the screw came out, memory went in, slightly bigger screw replaced and all "seemed" to be fine when I gave it back! - still worth remembering tho' (and looking out for a LH bit!)
Latest Forum Posts