Computer Related > Apple iMac GPU failure and Apple Store Brighton Computing Issues
Thread Author: car4play Replies: 16

Apple iMac GPU failure and Apple Store Brighton - car4play
I wonder if any of you guys can help with advice?

My work machine is an iMac (27-inch, Mid 2011, Model: 3.4 Core i7). Back in January it started randomly freezing where the screen would suddenly go a colour (typically green) with vertical stripes down it.
Once it was in this state, you cannot even VNC in or SSH to it to reboot nicely. It's power off and then on. Sometimes it would go days between crashes but then lately it has crashed as many as 7 times a day.
The crashes can be so severe that even a reboot will not get the screen back.
I called an independent Mac repair shop ( www.thebookyard.com ) and they said they thought the GPU was overheating and becoming detatched. They had seen the issue before.
To confirm this I downloaded a GPU stress test application called GPU Test from www.geeks3d.com/softwares/.
My Mac runs the benchmark program called Furmark for about 15 seconds before crashing with the same kind of green stripey screen. It can't run the benchmark on there either without crashing.
We tested this program on our other iMacs (one an identical machine to mine but the i5 processor instead of an i7 and one an i3). They both can run any application on the GPU test suite.
The MacBook Air i7 I am currently using can also run anything from this GPU Test suite. All of these other Macs are less capable than mine.

I then checked and found this Mac has AppleCare which luckily expires this June. I looked up appointments on the Apple site and saw the earliest was with Apple at Lakeside. I called them and they said make sure it is TimeMachine backed up as they would likely simply replace the Mac. I didn't have time before the appointment to check the current TM backup was the complete one (because I had to use a smaller one to get my account onto this Macbook Air) so I cancelled the appointement and booked it in (in 4 days time) at my nearest store, in Brighton.
When they tested it with the Apple test suite they have there it came back with no faults. I assured them it is faulty, because why else would I bring it in. I showed them a picture of crashed screen after it had happened in normal use. (This one had vertical pink bars on a white background).
I then logged into the Mac with my account and ran the Furmark test and it crashed within 2 seconds leaving the stripey screen. The Mac also has a dark blotchy patch in the top right where the LCD has burnt in a bit. (The Bookyard guys thought this might be related to the GPU temperature as it is just next to this part).
Anyway, Apple told me that because it was not their program that had crashed the machine, they could not say there was a fault with it.
However, they did take it in and have it the best part of 8 days in which time they replaced the glass on the screen (there was apparently a chip on this on the LHS) and the LCD display and the GPU card.
I picked it up and back in the office re-ran the Furmark program to check it out. Silly me should have checked it in the store because it crashed within 2 seconds. Even faster than before it went in for repair.
I thought maybe it is just the application. Unlikely, but to check I downloaded another GPU intensive application called 'Heaven' ( unigine.com/products/heaven/ ).
My Mac would run this for about 20 seconds and during this time the displayed GPU temperature climbed steadily to 90 degrees at which point the Mac would crash with a completely black screen.
It was a job getting it to restart with a login screen after that.
All the other Macs in our office can run 'Heaven' until one gets bored watching it. On the i5 machine most like mine the temperature stabilises at about 60 degrees.
I rang the store and asked to take it back straight away, but was told I would have to book it into their system in the usual way. This would mean a delay of around 4 days before they would even see it. I called the support line instead and after they had spoken with the store they agreed to have it back at my convenience. I dropped it straight back that day.
The Apple technical line told me to stress to them that they need to run these programs to see the fault. I did.
They have had it another week or so and tell me that they have now changed the power supply and then now the main logic board. But when they run the 'Heaven' app the temperature still soars to 90 degrees and it cuts out.

So to recap, they have now changed the glass, LCD, GPU card, power supply and main logic board and it appears the problem isn't fixed. Maybe Apple Store at Lakeside was right that it would have been easier to simply replace the machine.
Now the problem I have is that Apple in Brighton are saying that because these applications aren't part of their test suite, they cannot say that there is anything wrong with the machine. The Apple test suite returns no fault after all.
And even if I were to get an official Apple program to crash it like Final Cut that would not still be proof that there is anything wrong with it. They tell me that these machines are NOT designed to run programs which are so GPU or CPU intensive. Because they are not part of Apple's own test suite they are no measure of a machine which has a fault. One should expect a mahine to fail if one runs it with such a stressful program.

I am almost speechless with them. I have run macs in my past engineering days for 5 days at 100% CPU. Our internet servers sometimes run for minutes at very hight loads. I cannot believe someone is telling me that if I run any task on my computer that involves high stress levels I should expect it to fail when this has not been the case for me in the past or with any of our other computers.
What I cannot get is the logic of it all. I see it like this:
1) my mac freezes randomly in normal use
2) Furmark can reliably reproduce this behaviour on demand
3) The Apple Hardware test suite does not detect any faults. (Clearly there is a fault so this suite IMHO is useless in this situation and we should forget it)
4) Despite changing pretty much the whole mac innards the Mac is failing under the same predictable 3rd party tests. So IMHO will still likely crash on a random basis in normal use.
5) Taking it back in this state (which is what they want me to do) and waiting for a 'normal' failure at which point I have to drive it back to Brighton and waith another 14 days for it to be turned around is simply not an option for me.
It's hard enough going on without my main work computer anyway.

Why didn't they simply take the pragmatic and less costly option of simply swapping the machine?
Last edited by: VxFan on Thu 6 Mar 14 at 10:33
 Apple iMac GPU failure and Apple Store Brighton - No FM2R
First, is the fan working properly? I'm not sure that the hardware test would check effectively. Can you see any obvious internal physical difference between the two similar machines which might impact cooling?

Have they checked those things? If they have replaced the things they;ve said, then its difficult to see what else it could be.

>>Why didn't they simply take the pragmatic and less costly option of simply swapping the machine?

Because that is what someone responsible for cost/revenue would do. What they are doing is following rules set by someone else designed to stop too many machines being given away.

However, I do sympathise with the staff; its not going to be an easy sell to the boss - "it passes every test we have but we replaced it because some TP software fails".

Presumably the Applecare is not limited until June? In which case I'd take it home, wait for it to fail, and then take it to Lakeside - if nothing else its closer. I don't think you can be pressured to continue with the same store.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Thu 6 Mar 14 at 11:41
I think the Apple Hardware tests check fans etc. My hunch is the graphics card they replaced it with has the same issue. I did some Googling and found this:
support.apple.com/kb/TS5167
Also discussions.apple.com/thread/5519322?tstart=0

So it looks like it is a known issue - that they should have at least known about.

I agree that I could just take it back and then to Lakeside. I suppose I am just fed up with each time it's half a day out + travel + days without computer.
The other thing is if I actually was a game developer it would fail in my "normal" work within seconds.
 Apple iMac GPU failure and Apple Store Brighton - Zero
Lets rewind this a little and lets not get hung up on the test app.

Does the repaired machine still exhibit the original problem in normal use?
I have yet to collect it back as they are still looking at it.

As for "normal" use, what is "normal"?

As I was saying, if I were a Final Cut worker or a games developer, that would be normal use to me and it would fail within seconds. But you are correct, one would have to have it back and see... It's just the wasted time involved which is a pain.
>> I have yet to collect it back as they are still looking at it.
>>
>> As for "normal" use, what is "normal"?
>>
>> As I was saying, if I were a Final Cut worker or a games developer,
>> that would be normal use to me and it would fail within seconds.

You don't know that because all you have done is throw this abnormal stress program at it.

On some apple systems I know the ram is soldered to the system board - is that the case with this system and if it isn't was it changed?
Last edited by: Zero on Thu 6 Mar 14 at 14:39
Edit: meant to add you could well be chasing two seperate issues with seperate causes and by mixing them together you won't get either fixed
For sure one does not know, but on the balance of probabilities given that 2 separate graphics tests fail it very quickly and these don't fail 2 almost identical machines one might easily come to my conclusion.
The RAM is slotted into the base. I took mine out leaving Apple's and it still failed (in what you would call normal working).
 Apple iMac GPU failure and Apple Store Brighton - missyMe
My machine has lesser processing power but doesn't fall over on the test. Nobody elses machines fall over on the test and yet Stephen's is the most powerful in the office. The point is the machine fails in normal use and none of ours do and this test just happens to be able to replicate the failure like clockwork as do other tests.

Equally apple machines have protected memory so no stress test should be able to cause the hardware to fail. It would make sense if the test crashed all our machines but it runs on all of them even the old machines other than on Stephen's.

The Brighton Store just show incompetency. It has since transpired that the problem is a known fault and Apple have a replacement program on the machine even if you don't have apple care on it.

Apple iMac GPU failure and Apple Store Brighton - rtj70
I am surprised some people imply a machine crashing when running an OpenGL application that stresses the system is not Apple's problem. It's not different to playing a game after all and Apple even let you dual boot Windows/Mac OS X so game playing is something we can all do. And run many natively anyway.

It's not as if a bug in the application is causing a crash - now a device driver/kernel extension on the other hand could trample over protected memory and cause a crash.

The fact this is reproducible with ease means it's something that can be more easily diagnosed. I am surprised replacing the parts did not fix it mind (GPU and system board).

And Zero, the iMacs have upgradeable memory slots (for now) with a small opening in the bottom where the memory slots are accessible behind a panel... No doubt Apple will solder this memory in like it does on the Macbook Pro Retinas and Airs.
To be fair to Apple, having contacted someone senior in AppleCare, they totally understood my complaint, agreeing that the Mac ought to be able to run 3rd party software that stresses the system and that my machine is one that Apple has already flagged as needing a replacement GPU card (as per my previous post).

I cannot speak more highly of this team. In fact all the people I spoke to at the main AppleCare department were courteous, polite and very understanding. They stressed that we had to be happy with the whole experience of the repair including service etc.
Basically as I had AppleCare I should have simply called them up and they would collect and return the mac. That would have saved the time of dropping it off and collecting it myself. We live and learn.

And when I dropped it off at the store they should have checked to see that it was a known fault and needed the GPU card swapping instead of putting the onus on me to prove that there was fault in it and then passing off excuses about it not being able to run these tests programs as normal.
It is puzzling that when they changed the GPU card the same problem existed because they should not have had a replacement card as part of the faulty batch. So either this was the case or they never actually changed the card.
However in terms of solution to the problem, AppleCare have been exemplary. For a moment I had lost quite a lot of confidence in the company and had nearly crossed over to the dark side ;-).
They offered a number of solutions but the one that seemed best overall was to get a replacement mac. For the hassled they also upgraded very generously.
From 3.4 to 3.5Ghz i7
From 4 to 8GB RAM
From 2TB hard drive to 1 TB Fusion
From ATI graphics card to Nvidia GForce
+ external DVD drive as the new one doesn't have one.
Advance replacement too. So we are really happy with them.

It's good to have a story end well.
>> My machine has lesser processing power but doesn't fall over on the test. Nobody elses
>> machines fall over on the test and yet Stephen's is the most powerful in the
>> office. The point is the machine fails in normal use and none of ours do
>> and this test just happens to be able to replicate the failure like clockwork as
>> do other tests.

The point is you have no idea if it now fails under normal use because no one has tried it under normal use since it was fixed, and the point is NONE of your machines are the "same"

Just saying.
 Apple iMac GPU failure and Apple Store Brighton - No FM2R
Perhaps if you get the machine back you can grab the serial numbers from the card and check its date of manufacture & rev level.

To be honest I would be surprised if it is the same fault, since "on the shelf" spares are usually the first thing to be replaced in such a situation, but it may be the case and is worth checking.

I do think that taking the machine back is about the only next step you have available.

Then I'd check the fan configuration/function (like is it put on backwards, is a heat sink missing etc.) and the graphics card rev level. And then if it fails again I'd take it to Lakeside and have a polite yet firm strop.
Sounds like a plan. Thanks
 Apple iMac GPU failure and Apple Store Brighton - smokie
Do Apples have a BIOS, where you can overclock or throttle etc? On PCs I've seen the BIOS get corrupted and cause mayhem. If something is way overclocked it will cause "unpredictable results".
They have a PRAM or parameter RAM, but they will have reset this in-between fixes. I zapped it a few times too myself.
 Apple iMac GPU failure and Apple Store Brighton - missyMe
*does a little jig around the office*

Stephen spoke to someone higher up who has been brilliant and hugely apologetic for the problems we have had with the Brighton store.

They are replacing the machine and upgrading it for no charge and guess who Stephen is giving the fancy shmancy pantsy new machine to?

Meeeeeeee :D (apparently because I stress the machines the most because I run lots of graphics programs)

*does more jigs around the office*
Latest Forum Posts