Computer Related > Flash player pro 'virus' Computing Issues
Thread Author: RichardW Replies: 4

Flash player pro 'virus' - RichardW
Got an odd one here.... there's a malware scam floating about which gives you a warning that Flash player is out of date when you try and open certain websites (like google and facebook), and then takes you to a very duff looking page for 'Flash Player Pro' - and we appear to have got it. However, I'm pretty sure we haven't - at least not on a computer - it affects my work laptop (Win7); home laptop (Ubuntu); and SWMBO's Android phone. Although it does not affect Chrome on the Win7 laptop. I thought perhaps the router had got it, but is that even possible? I wondered if the DNS server had problems, so I changed that to Open DNS (no change) the Google DNS, and that seemed to fix it, but now it's back again. Confused. Any ideas? Googling it just brings up lots of malware removal software, but that is not going to do anything for Ubuntu or Android (where I am sure we haven't downloaded anything!).
 Flash player pro 'virus' - Zero
This is a very confusing post. Firstly as far as I know there is no universal trojan that can infect Linux's (ubuntu and Android) and windows from the same source at the same time over the same lan. Yes it possible for a router to be compromised, but not with a trojan like this. This one uses a combination of a a Browser helper and an executable - An anti malware will get rid of the executable and you need to remove the browser helper/add on for the windows machine.

I can only assume that you visited the same sites, and downloaded the same helper on the Ubunti and the droid, so check in the browser settings.
Last edited by: Webmaster on Sun 9 Mar 14 at 05:42
 Flash player pro 'virus' - RichardW
Telling me it's confusing! Resolved by doing a hard re-set on the router - so it's got to be the router. Gawd knows what was (or is) going on!!
 Flash player pro 'virus' - Zero
Must be the routing table in the router cache, the code int he router is not infected.
Last edited by: Zero on Sat 8 Mar 14 at 22:06
 Flash player pro 'virus' - driverab
Same problem here - very strange symptoms - "flash out of date", not able to access random sites. DNS was the issue; removed custom setting (I cannot even remember what DNS was) and all's well.
Last edited by: driverab on Sun 9 Mar 14 at 13:18
Latest Forum Posts