Computer Related > BT My Cloud Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Pat Replies: 20

BT My Cloud - Pat
Does anyone else us it?

I appear to have reached my storage limit and would like to delete some of the older stuff from it, but I need to be sure I'm not deleting it from my PC at the same time.

I can't seem to find a definitive answer on this one.

I'm wary because this happened with dropbox.

Pat
 BT My Cloud - rtj70
You're right to be wary because of your Dropbox experience. The default setup for Dropbox is to synchronise with the Dropbox folder on your computer. Deleting from the cloud will sync that deletion to your computer and vice versa.

As for BT Cloud, I've just tried it on my Mac and it works the same. So it creates a local folder called BT Cloud Sync and anything dropped in there is sync'd to the BT Cloud. And if I delete from the BT Cloud it deletes the local copy.

This is one of the 'issues' with Dropbox (and BT Cloud) for me. I want the cloud to be a copy of my files for security reasons and if you copy your files to the folder for synchronisation to the cloud you've actually got two copies of the folder. A way around it for Dropbox on the Mac is to create symbolic links to the actual folders you want to sync - Dropbox follows the links. But still deleting from the cloud will probably delete local files.
 BT My Cloud - Zero
You manage your cloud from the device with the biggest storage pool.

So you take stuff out of your cloud folder on the PC say, copying it to whatever you archive or back up to. That then synchs you stuff out of your cloud storage total, but you still have it elsewhere.

If that makes sense.
 BT My Cloud - Pat
Thanks for giving it a go for me rtj.

I think it makes sense but I can't seem to find how to remove files and stop them synching.

Pat
 BT My Cloud - No FM2R
try these...

bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/47813/~/how-do-i-add-files-or-folders-to-bt-cloud-sync%3F

bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/41958/~/how-can-i-delete-files-from-bt-cloud%3F

Let me know if it still doesn't become clear.
 BT My Cloud - rtj70
If you still have synchronisation enabled, you could try moving files from the local BT Cloud folder to somewhere else. It will then delete the corresponding copy in the cloud for you. I would not delete the files in the BT Cloud web interface because that will delete the local copy as well (seems to be the default way it works).

How much space do you have on BT Cloud? I seem to have 2GB by default but if I sign a new contract I would get 50GB.

EDIT: Just tested this out. Copied a file into the BT Cloud sync folder on the Mac. Saw it appear in BT Cloud.... then moved it out of the folder somewhere.... removed from the cloud. But if I delete a document on the cloud it will delete the local copy in the BT Cloud folder. But the deleted files were all in the BT Cloud trash can and could be recovered (for now).
Last edited by: rtj70 on Thu 13 Mar 14 at 17:51
 BT My Cloud - rtj70
Interestingly the BT Cloud service seems to have something to do with F-Secure.... as does the Virgin Media cloud service that was extended recently.
 BT My Cloud - Pat
I have 2GB and omly signed up in January.

Where do I find the BT Cloud folder rtj?

I won't be able to try it until next week as I'm working tomorrow and all weekend but I'm really don't want to lose anything I have in there. It's all work stuff so I can access it from my phone at work as I have no wifi signal in the training room.

Pat
 BT My Cloud - rtj70
On the Mac it created a BT Cloud Sync folder at the top level of my account. So alongside downloads, documents, etc. So I'd guess on Windows it's in your user folder at the same level as Documents, Music, Videos etc.

2GB is not much is it for online storage. I assume I can get more being on the Infinity unlimited products. But could you not get more too?
 BT My Cloud - Pat
Now this is where it gets weird.

I have found that folder just where you said it would be.

It only contains 169 MB (178,071,480 bytes) consisting of 21 files.

I thought I must have made a mistake asking My Cloud to synch stuff but it appears to be synching everything on my PC.

Could it be because I have it linked to my phone?

Pat
 BT My Cloud - rtj70
I've not looked into the options for the Mac client. But maybe it is syncing with the whole PC and your phone.

Looking in the client, does it look like it has all the PC files? I'd be surprised if Windows and app folders would fit in 2GB mind.
 BT My Cloud - Pat
No, but it's got all MyDocs and all My Pics.

Pat
 BT My Cloud - rtj70
So in the Windows client is there the option to select which folders to sync? There is in the Mac client.

When installed, the default is to sync the BT Cloud folder it creates. But you can select other folders to sync too.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Fri 14 Mar 14 at 09:23
 BT My Cloud - sherlock47
>> Interestingly the BT Cloud service seems to have something to do with F-Secure.... as does
>> the Virgin Media cloud service that was extended recently.
>>

BT Cloud services are operated and provided by F-Secure ®. The Terms Of Service for the F-Secure ® BT Cloud software are provided below and acceptance of these Terms is required for provision of the service. In addition to BT’s privacy policy you acknowledge that your data will be handled in accordance with F-Secure’s Privacy Policy you can find by clicking the link below.

F-SECURE® LICENSE TERMS (March 2012)

IMPORTANT – BEFORE INSTALLING OR USING THE F-SECURE SOFTWARE, CAREFULLY READ THE FOLLOWING LEGAL TERMS (”TERMS”). BY SELECTING THE ACCEPTING OPTION, OR BY INSTALLING, COPYING OR USING THE SOFTWARE OR SOFTWARE-BASED SERVICE YOU (EITHER AN INDIVIDUAL OR AN ENTITY) AGREE THAT YOU HAVE READ THESE TERMS, UNDERSTAND THEM AND AGREE TO BE LEGALLY BOUND BY THEM. IF YOU DO NOT AGREE TO ALL OF THE TERMS, DO NOT INSTALL, USE OR COPY THE SOFTWARE.
 BT My Cloud - rtj70
Pat, if you can't get more space from BT for free (2GB is pretty low isn't it) then what about Google? You get 15GB for free there. The cost of 100GB has also just been reduced to $1.99pm. 1TB is now only $9.99pm. I assume UK pricing is similar. Probably charged in $'s so 100GB will be little more than £1.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Fri 14 Mar 14 at 11:17
 BT My Cloud - Ambo
The Unlimited BT Infinity 2 package gives 50 GB of BT Cloud.
 BT My Cloud - rtj70
It does indeed. But you might have to accept a new contract to get that - I know I'd have to sign up to a new contract to get that figure.
 BT My Cloud - Pat
Apparently I can pay £5 per month for more space which I'm not prepared to do so I have to find away to delete some of the files which shouldn't be there without losing them.

Pat
 BT My Cloud - Bromptonaut
Pat,

Another solution may be network attached storage - NAS. My 2TB Buffalo has a remote access facility though I never need to use it.
 BT My Cloud - Pat
Appreciate that suggestion Bromp, but it should have been and easy option to use either Dropbox or My cloud for the little storage I need to access when at work.

I just can't work out how so much has got into both of them and how it deletes it from my PC if I try and remove it from either.

Is it just a ploy to get me to pay for extra space!

Pat
 BT My Cloud - rtj70
You've setup the BT Cloud app/agent to synchronise the contents of a folder or folders that you shouldn't have. If you wanted to copy just some files to BT (or Dropbox) then you should have used a separate/new folder for this and copied the files into there you wanted to sync to the cloud storage for access from anywhere.

Have a look in settings for the BT My Cloud app and you'll see if have check/tick-boxes for some folders which are now begin synchronised to the cloud. And it synchronises in both directions. So put a file in the local folder and it will appear in the cloud. And put a file in the cloud and it appears locally. And the same happens to delete actions.

The first step to understand is what folders you've told it to sync with the BT My Cloud service. And then change that - being careful you don't delete files/folders in the process.
Latest Forum Posts