Computer Related > photos too big Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Ted Replies: 13

photos too big - Ted

I've recently been going through all my late FiL's slides and getting them on the PC or memory stick.

I want to email a few to a couple of friends but they come out much too big and I can only send one at a time. They are in JPeg form.

Is there any way to reduce them. If I print one off atm it takes a whole sheet of A4. Ideally, something a quarter of that size would be better.

HO
 photos too big - Ambo
I can't answer your question but please don't put them on a memory stick or any other portable medium!

I "lost" two sets of photos doing this. The files are still there but are corrupted and can't be opened. Neither Jessops or anyone on this forum could help but someone here told me that this can happen and was probably the cause.
 photos too big - Fenlander
It is the person printing the photo who should be setting the physical print size which does not have to be related to file size. So you can mail them anyhow you want. Every photo edit program will allow downsizing if it was the e-mail file size that's the greatest issue though.
Last edited by: Fenlander on Sat 15 Mar 14 at 16:57
 photos too big - Zero
>> It is the person printing the photo who should be setting the physical print size
>> which does not have to be related to file size. So you can mail them
>> anyhow you want. Every photo edit program will allow downsizing if it was the e-mail
>> file size that's the greatest issue though.

By big, I think he means the file size is too large.
 photos too big - BiggerBadderDave
If you have Photoshop Horace, you can resize your photos by physical size or dpi. If you have hundreds of photos to do, you can tell Photoshop by recording a particular action, or series of actions, and let it do them all.

I don't know anything about pcs but on a Mac, never just yank the memory stick out. That can/will corrupt your data. Unmount all portable media properly.
 photos too big - No FM2R
You're confusing a couple of different things;

How large a file prints is not specifically related to the size of the file. How it appears when printed large or when printed small *is* related.

Printing it is a matter of setting the size you want as you do so.

For emailing, then it is absolutely pixels & file size. If you right click the file and chose "Send To" and the "Email Recipient" it should give you a choice of the file size you want - and you can select multiple files. (assuming that you're using a modern version of windows).
 photos too big - spamcan61
Whatever you do don't resize/compress the originals, make a copy and edit that.

photos too big - No FM2R
Good advice. In fact when one is messing around with any file doing anything, one should always do it with a copy.
 photos too big - Focusless
Regarding distributing the photos, if you upload them to somewhere like Dropbox, or a photo-sharing website like Photobucket, you can send people links to them rather sending multi-megabyte emails. And you're backing them up at the same time.
 photos too big - Slidingpillar
Download and install Irfanview. Simple bit of free viewing software that can both resize a file and change the print area. It also handles virtually any image format and is the way I write icons for websites.

Not big or complicated, and works well.
 photos too big - Ted

Thanx for all advice. Been out so just read all posts. Lots of good advice. I did what Mark suggested earlier today and got the ' re-sizing ' box. I couldn't get any further in linking to an email address.

I never thought about Photobucket. I'll try that first as I do use the Bucket and am familiar with how it works.

A virtual cream bun to all !

HO.
 photos too big - Ted

Ha ! Just sent an experimental 4 by Photobucket. Seems to have worked ok. Nice pictures of SWM and her best friend on holiday in Brighton in about 1964. No bikinis, just one piece cossies but , hey ............... anyway, not showing you lot !

Buns enough !

HO
 photos too big - BiggerBadderDave
"You're confusing a couple of different things;"

I'm always reminded of that equation V = IR. Voltage, current and resistance.

There are three parameters - physical dimension size, dpi quality and file size. If Horace wants to reduce file size, he can reduce either (or both) the first two. In Photoshop, by default, the equation remains balanced - so if he decreases the dimensions, photoshop will automatically increases the dpi so that the file size doesn't change. Horace has to unchain the parameters and lock one of them, that way if he decreases the dimensions and lock the dpi, the file size decreases.

When I design an integrated text/images book, I usually have to lay out between 100 to 300 images. As soon as the client sends the files, the first thing I have to do is change the quality parameter (dpi) to 300 because that's the industry standard, although some ask for 350. File size stays the same so Photoshop calculates the dimensions - then I know the maximum size I can use the image on a page. Photoshop will process them all in one click, at the same time it will also change RGB to CMYK and save them in my preferred format - eps.

Never used photobucket but I check out wifebucket from time to time.
 photos too big - Victorbox
If you have Windows 7 just open the picture in Windows Paint (in Accessories) then click resize (keep maintain aspect ratio ticked) then click on pixels. Change to something 1024 x 768 (it may suggest another slightly different ratio as you ticked maintain aspect ratio) and save file. You will have made the file anything up to 10 times smaller with no visible loss of quality for e-mailing. Do this to a copy not the original you want to keep on your PC.
Latest Forum Posts