Computer Related > WMA Files Computing Issues
Thread Author: Ateca chris Replies: 6

WMA Files - Ateca chris
A couple of years back i bought a 500GB external hard drive and transfered all the cd's
we owned on to it so we could clear some space and make a few bob selling them on.
Now i have a problem, i can play all the songs (some 300 albums) through the laptop via the hard drive or copy them to a disc for cd playback, but when i copy songs from the hard drive to a tablet or a android phone via laptop they cant play them because they dont support a wma file, only my windows phone can.
Is their a way i can covert them back to a mp3 file to play on other devices?
 WMA Files - No FM2R
There's loads of free programs, this is one I used a few months ago...

download.cnet.com/Free-WMA-to-MP3/3000-2140_4-75758783.html
 WMA Files - commerdriver
Good suggestion Mark, have just installed it, very carefully, and it does what it says on the tin, the option to put the new file in a different place does not work but that does not particularly matter.

However....

To anyone trying to download and install it be very careful
In common with many free apps it tries to "trick" the user into installing a lot of other things on the way If you hit accept every time it offers you will end up with at least five other applications as well as the converter. Not uncommon as I say but a particularly persistent one. If you decline all the other software it offers you you do get the converter and it does work and does not appear to do anything nasty but be careful.

WMA Files - No FM2R
As you say, it is one to install without using the defaults. Building on that point, I recommend that nobody ever accepts the default or recommended installation configuration on anything for exactly that reason.

The converter itself is completely safe.
 WMA Files - Ateca chris
Thanks Mark works a treat.
 WMA Files - No FM2R
Good.

Just mentioning in passing, hold onto the WMA files as well unless that gives you particular issues. They are likely to be a higher bit-rate than the resultant MP3 file and thus the quality is higher. (not that I can really tell the difference).

In the future, if you wish to play the files another way or in another environment, you may well be thankful you retained the WMAs.
 WMA Files - spamcan61
Just for the record, so to speak, I use Goldwave for this sort of thing. It's not free but the demo version lasts for yonks unless you use it daily.

Use the 'batch processing' feature, point it at a file/folder you want to convert, tell it what format /bitrate you want to convert to and bob's yer uncle. Can save in the same folder as the original files or a new folder - pretty much as shown here:-

metaverse.mitsi.com/secondlife/posts/musicplayer/goldwave.htm

Latest Forum Posts