Computer Related > Desktop memory prices Computing Issues
Thread Author: Focusless Replies: 12

Desktop memory prices - Focusless
When I bought 2x2GB DDR3 1600MHz from eBuyer in Jan 2012, it was £15. At the moment a single 4GB stick is double that.

Anyone who watches these things know if this is a temporary blip, or was I just lucky?
 Desktop memory prices - spamcan61
Something of an upwards trend at the moment, not helped by a fire at a Hynix factory restricting supply. I recall buying a single 4GB stick for my laptop for around 14 quid about 2 years ago, as you say double that now.
 Desktop memory prices - smokie
And yet SSD disks seem to be falling, all they are is a large lump of memory.
>> ...large lump of memory.

...but of different technology?
 Desktop memory prices - rtj70
Yes SSD's being a variant of flash memory. Until maybe 12-18 months ago most performance drives aimed at consumers would be MLC NAND but a lot are now TLC NAND with over provisioning to overcome the significantly lower number of times you can re-write them.

Samsung's latest TLC based SSD's have actually overcome some of the weaknesses of TLC by increasing the cell physical size using a larger process size and stacking the V-NAND in a 3D format.

DDR RAM is of course volatile memory...
 Desktop memory prices - Roger.
Perhaps the answer is to have system & program files on SSD and all stuff you keep on hard drive?
>> Perhaps the answer is to have system & program files on SSD and all stuff
>> you keep on hard drive?
>>

Or just a backup elsewhere? The latest TLC based NAND (not the 3D V-NAND from Samsung) will be fine for a lot of writes. There's wear levelling etc going on.
 Desktop memory prices - smokie
"Perhaps the answer is to have system & program files on SSD and all stuff you keep on hard drive?"

Yeah that's what I've got. In fact I recently bought a Samsung PRO 512Gb to replace the three aging SSDs in my machine. Stuff I keep is on 2Tb hard drives in caddies. backed up onto the NAS.
 Desktop memory prices - Kevin
>DDR RAM is of course volatile memory...

You'll be surprised what's in the pipeline for late 2015.
>> >DDR RAM is of course volatile memory...
>>
>> You'll be surprised what's in the pipeline for late 2015.
>>

No I won't :-) Some interesting alternatives. Some companies need their new (delayed) alternatives to make a difference for them.
New(-ish) work laptop 'ultrabook' only has a 240GB SSD. It's mostly very nice - i5, 12.5" 1366x768 touch screen, 6+ hour battery life, and only 1.5kg.

But given it retails for £1000+, why Lenovo have decided to only provide a mousepad without separate mouse buttons is a mystery - it's a real PITA. Hopefully someone from Lenovo will be reading this... :)
Last edited by: Focusless on Sat 23 Aug 14 at 13:04
 Desktop memory prices - RattleandSmoke
Desktop DDR3 RAM has been increasing a lot in the past year, glad I got my 16GB of RAM when it was cheap 18 months ago :D. That said I tend to use my Lenovo X200 more than my desktop these days and that only has 3GB of RAM but is fine.
Mt Macbook Pro 13" Retina was about the same price then (to me) but better specified. And it does not have separate buttons.... does the Lenovo work in a similar way I wonder? The touch pad is multi-touch for starters maybe? Physically depressing the mouse pad on a Macbook is the same as clicking.

Even my old work laptop supports tapping the touchpad to emulate a click.
Latest Forum Posts