Computer Related > Email Spam Appliance/Service Recommendations Computing Issues
Thread Author: rtj70 Replies: 12

Email Spam Appliance/Service Recommendations - rtj70
Like many on here I get lots of spam emails. And rules in an email client keeps a lot managed but with smartphones also getting emails there's a lot that that will appear on the phone still.

So I have been thinking about sorting this out using a hosted service or even setting up my own. It would have to be cloud based as I don't want to leave a PC running 24x7 at home. Although could be an option.

So I wondered what others might do - or specifically I'm thinking NoFM2R, Smokie, Zero and Stephen.

I don't want to change the main email address I have but some thoughts are:

- Email 'service' retrieves all emails from the mailbox and filters out the junk/spam
- I retrieve my emails from the service mailbox rather than the original - sending would still be via the original email service
- Maybe it would be useful to have it handle multiple email accounts

Another option might be a decent spam filter on Android but I'm not sure that's the best option.

Free would be good - but some money each month is fine too. If there was a free email app that did this then hosting something on AWS on Windows or Linux might be worth considering. If I had a host running 24x7 it could be used for other things too.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Sun 19 Oct 14 at 16:56
 Email Spam Appliance/Service Recommendations - Zero

>> So I wondered what others might do - or specifically I'm thinking NoFM2R, Smokie, Zero
>> and Stephen.

I don't get many spam emails, certainly not enough to worry about doing something about it.

Now phone calls and txt messages, that another story.
 Email Spam Appliance/Service Recommendations - Roger.
Using Gmail's pop & smtp servers, via Mozilla Thunderbird as an email client on my laptop, I get virtually no spam. This service is free!
Gmail also has the benefit of being web mail, too (I rarely use it this), but all your mail can remain on Gmail's servers as a backup.
Best of both.
I also have a gmail account and get very little spam via it. But I have a long established email address that gets more than it should.
 Email Spam Appliance/Service Recommendations - No FM2R
I don't think I'm going to be much help.

A while ago I revamped my email approach;

I have an anonymous email address which I use for signing up for stuff, and other than the initial setup email I ignore all incoming email.

I have a GMail account which I use for most things, and it gets very little Spam, if any. What it does get is pretty well filtered out by GMail.

I have a historic email account which is plagued with spam, I don't replicate it to my phone and I check it periodically just in case an old contact is trying to get in touch. Pretty much unfixable, I should think.

And then I have the account I use for business which receives no spam. None at all. Mostly, I suspect, because I sign up for nothing with it and never use it for casual conversation.

Mostly, using a chuck-away account for internet / signup usage has pretty much made the problem go away.

I found it easier to ensure my accounts avoid spam rather than to try to manage spam once its arrived.

This email account has never received any spam. So at least we know that Khoo Systems behaves decently.
The most recent spam mentions my step-sons name. I have to suspect he's used my email address in some way hence the spam.

I know I can't fix the spam but looking at ways to filter out stuff. Even thinking it should be done on a white list email address basis.
 Email Spam Appliance/Service Recommendations - Stuartli
Bit like looking up potential purchases on eBay and Amazon - within a very short space of time you get ads relating to such goods in the right hand column of Facebook.....
That's just cookies though. As you know.

I've not spent any time thinking of my requirements yet - there's always the Christmas break.
 Email Spam Appliance/Service Recommendations - No FM2R
I think pretty much you will have to start a new email account, or perhaps more than one. Be pretty disciplined how you use them and what you use them for, gradually migrating stuff from your existing troublesome account.

Albeit that you are probably stuck with the troublesome account for some time to come, just in case anything important shows up out of the blue.
 Email Spam Appliance/Service Recommendations - car4play
I used to provide email via our servers to clients but found it was too much bother to get it right, especially once one factors in spam and virus checking.

We now just use a third party supplier to do email for all our clients and they use a commercial virus and spam checker. It cut spam massively, but quite a bit still gets through. The thing is if I see 50 spam in a day and then check the online spam bin I see over 10x that amount in there. So it does work. I can set thresholds higher or lower if I want as well as whitelists and blacklists.
They also can have the facility to filter mail before it arrives at a customer's own mail server.

See www.verygoodemail.com
 Email Spam Appliance/Service Recommendations - smokie
I remember assisting with a bid for some server replacement at an ISP and hearing the volumes of spam they detected and binned, before it got past their first fence. IIRC it was in the order of a million items per day, and they weren't one of the mainstream ISPs. They also measured the numbers of attempted infiltrations which was also in the millions per day. I may be confusing millions with hundreds of thousand but either way it sounded an awful lot to me.
 Email Spam Appliance/Service Recommendations - Slidingpillar
Two cheap buy nothing bits.
1/ Make sure you have both read and delivered reciepts turned off. I think some MS mail programs default to on as both my brother and a friend send them and they are not the kind of folk to fiddle with stuff.
2/ if your ISP gives a web mail facility, make some use of it as mail deleted here is notionally undelivered. I've used the same email address since 2000 and most of the spam now received is the result of a security error at a major software house (never again will I register software with other than a disposable account).

Gmail, yes seems to work well with little spam but is a pain in the neck if you use it as a 'nom de plume' as I do.
 Email Spam Appliance/Service Recommendations - John Boy
>> Gmail, yes seems to work well with little spam but is a pain in the neck if you use it as a 'nom de plume' as I do.

Could you explain that sentence, please?
Latest Forum Posts