Computer Related > Which Router? Computing Issues
Thread Author: .... Replies: 7

Which Router? - ....
I'm not being lazy I know there have been several threads I want to check nothing has moved on hugely since the last time.

I have two Belkin wireless routers which have worked one as the main router the second used as a repeater. The main one is failing on a regular basis needing a reset twice this weekend to reinstate the wireless part.

I'm thinking of spending a bit this time. A Fritzbox 3390 looks likely.

I don't need VoIP for the home landline.

Previously, I liked Netgear but the last router(s), five in total, failed miserably out of the box which is why we now have Belkin.

Anything else I should look at?
 Which Router? - madf
I buy mine as Belkin for peanuts in ebay.

Disposable.
 Which Router? - sherlock47
I buy second hand Netgear - same game plan. The only failures have been result of S of France lightning strikes. Last big storm took out a village load of Orange Smart boxes, no retail outlets (or Orange) had any available. - I just fetch another £3 router from the garage:).

Lightning protection boxes seemed to offer little in the way of protection.

T Link seem a reasonable choice as well.
 Which Router? - Slidingpillar
Some ISPs will give you a router if you ask! My brother did and got one.
 Which Router? - ....
Over here if I ask for a router they try to tie you in for another two years.
For what they cost I'd rather just own my kit.

I've done cheap and cheerful but I'm bored having to reboot or reset. I've shown many wife how to do it because it normally fails while I'm not around but that does not appear a reliable solution as she forgets. I just want something that works.
 Which Router? - rtj70
I currently have a Linksys router. It replaced the BT provided Home Hub because that had compatibility issues with Sky's app for the phone. Something would go wrong with the arp cache so you couldn't find the Sky+ box to control it at home.

The Linksys I got was one of the last Cisco branded products so things will be different now they are owned by Belkin. I think it's the EA4500. I didn't install the smart Cisco web-based firmware.
 Which Router? - Manatee
A retired doctor friend of mine asked me if I could sort out his internet connection that had failed, a few weeks ago. He won't have anything free, on the grounds that it can't be any good, so he has a Draytek router that lists at about £200 that the local PC shop provided him with - maybe it wasn't new, I don't know.

I set up a spare D-Link DSL 2780 for him, as supplied by TalkTalk, and told him to keep it.

I've never had any bother with these (another is with my aunt in Jockland) except for their apparent incompatibility with my Lenovo laptop (which is why I had two spare).
 Which Router? - Stuartli
I have a Netgear DGN4000 (N750) which I bought to better the standard TalkTalk models. It's first class.

However, reviews of the latest TT router (a Huawei HG635 a/c model) suggest it's not too shabby. Still sticking to the Netgear though when my fibre broadband upgrade goes live in a few days. Will give the one being sent to me to a friend.... See:

tinyurl.com/mt76sdh

Last edited by: Stuartli on Tue 11 Nov 14 at 00:00
Latest Forum Posts