Computer Related > Printing Labels Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Ambo Replies: 30

Printing Labels - Ambo
Last year's Xmas list of about 150 labels was fine, using Word 7 and Avery labels J8160, 21 labels per sheet, but won't work now. This may be because of a new printer, Canon 5350.

I use the maximum of 6 columns for the 6 lines to print. The 6th. will only partly fit, the lower half of the details being cut off. Reducing fontsize makes no difference. Squashing into 5 columns works except the address sequence goes haywire and several more sheets are used, some with only three addresses each.

The Avery template will not download. The Canon manual will tell me how to print on disks but not produce mailing labels. Can anyone point me to a simple programme for the purpose please?
Last edited by: VxFan on Mon 17 Nov 14 at 00:34
 Printing Labels - Mike H
Not sure if this will help, but it's a free plug-in for Word from Avery. I've used it and it's often useful.

tinyurl.com/6bdvva
 Printing Labels - Ambo
I had tried that several times, Mike. In spite of being registered, the site would not respond to "Download".
 Printing Labels - Zero
you have a browser problem then. are you running pop up blockers?
 Printing Labels - Ambo
I was and stopped it and that certainly eagled me to get at the Avery Wizard - which then failed to work. I think I will just have to use bigger labels.
 Printing Labels - Mike H
Have you tried using a different browser? FWIW I use Chrome and had no problems downloading it (albeit mine's the German version which I assume makes no difference).
 Printing Labels - car4play
If you are thinking of lots of labels there is always a dedicated label printer for around 50 quid:

www.amazon.co.uk/Dymo-Labelwriter-Assorted-Label-Rolls/dp/B00GO0U0A0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1416234256&sr=8-1&keywords=dymo+labelwriter+450
 Printing Labels - Ambo
Noted with thanks but this costs too much, considering it would on;y be used once a year.
 Printing Labels - No FM2R
Do you have both the printer and Word set to the same paper size?

Do you still have the old printer?
 Printing Labels - Ambo

Yes

No
 Printing Labels - Stuartli
New envelope printing utility just been released (download available at Majorgeeks):

www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/tweaking_com_envelope_printer.html
 Printing Labels - Ambo
Thanks but this seems to be a clean-up programme. I can't find how to get at the label printer, unless it emerges after a scan and the deposit of various other bits on my hard disc.
 Printing Labels - Pat
Ambo, I suppose you have tried this.

Open a word doc, click on mailings, click on mail merge and you get the option to 'open mail merge wizard'.
It comes up in the right hand pane and I just follow it step by step putting label sizes in manually, if needed.

Pat
 Printing Labels - Gopher
Ambo
I might be stating the obvious but after this length of time surely you would have completed them all using a pen?

Bill
 Printing Labels - smokie
I've never used that software but you may have clicked the wrong link on that tweaking program. You should have downloaded something called tweaking.com_envelope_printer_setup.

The screens in the link are designed to mislead you...
 Printing Labels - Stuartli
>> ...you may have clicked the wrong link on that tweaking program. You should have downloaded something called tweaking.com_envelope_printer_setup.>>

Yes, there is a well know Windows Repair (All in One) utility from tweaking.com:

Try this link: www.tweaking.com/
 Printing Labels - Ambo
>>Ambo, I suppose you have tried this.

Thanks, Pat, but it doesn't seem to accommodate readymade lists like my Excel spread sheet.

Printing Labels - McP
I am regular Mail Merger

Assuming you have an Excel Sheet with Columns called Name, Add1, Add2, etc

In Word
Click Mailings
Click Labels - Set Label Vendor to Avery A4/A5 Select your J6180
Select Full Page of the same Label
Click New Document

In the new document, click Mailings
Click Select Recipients, Existing List and select your Excel Sheet
Click onto the top left label
Click Insert Merge Field and select 'Name'
Press Return to start a new line
Click Insert Merge Field and select 'Add1' and so on

Your first label will look like

«Name»
«Add1»
«Add2»
«Add3»
«Add4»
«Add5»

For labels 2 onwards you need the next record command, so it will go to the next row of your excel sheet.
They will look like

«Next Record»«Name» (This line should look like this)
«Add1»
«Add2»
«Add3»
«Add4»
«Add5»

Copy and paste label 2 into the rest of the labels. Label 2 onwards should look the same

Click Preview Results to see your names and addresses in place of the merge fields

When ready to print, click Finish and Merge.
You can either send straight to the printer with print. You can choose all records or a selection

Or you can click Finish and Merge and select Edit Individual Documents to create a word document of all of your labels with the names and addresses on.

Save for next year.

Hope this helps
 Printing Labels - Pat
I do it from a ready made spread sheet:)

Follow the more detailed instructions below and try it again then do what I did this year.....

write on the label carton how to do it for next year;)

Pat
 Printing Labels - Ambo
My method is quite similar to yours, McP, although it does not work for me. Mine was explained to me by a neighbour who is no more, so I can't find out where he got it. I have managed to bodge a solution up, resulting in a poor appearance. I will try a deeper label size next time, since the main problem is the partial cutting-off of the lowest address line. Reducing the fontsize only results in illegibly small address details.

Thanks to all for their suggestions.
Last edited by: VxFan on Mon 24 Nov 14 at 01:21
 Printing Labels - Bromptonaut
We used to do something similar at work although the labels were perforated inserts for conference delegate badges rather than address labels.

Master delegate list in Excel included fields for 'badge name' and 'badge job'. Using Tools>Mail Merge>Envelopes and Labels in word was then pretty intuitive. The final pages could then be tidied up in Word as formtting wasn't 100% consistent though that was usually due to sloppy typing in the spreadsheet.
 Printing Labels - sherlock47

>>>Yes, there is a well know Windows Repair (All in One) utility from tweaking.com:

Try this link: www.tweaking.com/<<<

That envelope printing software looks a good freeware package, works well and very useful if you keep your data in a suitable format.

The failing is that it is an envelope printer, and requires all envelopes to be the same size - which generally is not true for Xmas cards` in the UK!

I have emailed the developer suggesting that adding a label facilty would be a useful addition. I have had some correspondence with him, and although initially he was uncertain that labels would be easy to implement, I have given him sources of further information on label structure. He is showing some interest, I suggest if others register and log on to his website supporting the idea he may well add the facility in the future. But do not expect for this Xmas.

My current label printing runs from Access and is a bit to bespoke for SWMBO to use. I cannot take the stress of educating her or allowing her on my machine.
 Printing Labels - rtj70
>> Noted with thanks but this costs too much, considering it would only be used once a year.

But with all the time wasted, £50 sounds cheap. Because next year it would simply work.

If this was me, I'd be printing onto the envelopes and using mail merge to produce the necessary document to print :-)

Year before last, I saved my in-laws the time it took to write a personal message in hundreds of Christmas cards. I simply made the Christmas cards with their message in it. Had they had a list of names/addresses I'd have done the envelopes as well :-)
 Printing Labels - Ambo
You're convincing me, rtj. How do you charge the Dymo with address details - via a computer spread sheet, maybe?
 Printing Labels - rtj70
Yes it would plug into your computer and come with software. This line appears on the Amazon web page:

Includes propriety DYMO Label V8 software that provides more than 100 label styles and layouts
Create labels directly from text in Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook and other programs, without retyping
Quickly create a one-off label whenever you need one with the QuickPrint widget

Last edited by: rtj70 on Mon 24 Nov 14 at 09:53
 Printing Labels - Bromptonaut
We had a modern Dymo in the office. Not PC compatible but would print sharp black text onto white labels. Good for file titles, dividers etc.
 Printing Labels - busbee
I downloaded the tweaking program intending to try it out when cutting & pasting from an Xmas address list.

That list uses a pretty font I designed myself after many midnight hours a long time ago. The numerals are very clear and, to make sure of a correct address, I use a standard font for the post code line.

I had two problems in using tweaking. The pasted address is totally in the pretty font. Secondly, highlighting the postcode line and clicking a suitable font, changes the whole address to that font.

So back to Open Office.

Printing Labels - Pat
Have you thought of using E Cards?

Pat
 Printing Labels - busbee
ecards:
The way I buy cards usually means there are cards left over from the previous Xmas and I hope the recipients by now think they are unusual! I jazz them up by printing coloured bits inside. The special ones have usually been made from pictures I have collected over time and I just have to have a note of what I used last time. In Coreldraw I have an A4 master I use with 180 weight card on which I print a card and cut it out on a guillotine so it folds and just goes in an A5 envelope. It has areas marked out for the pictures by placing lines in the parts I cut off. Midnight oil again.
I have a daughter who sends me an e-card. She's quite happy with any card she gets back if it has money, ha ha.
 Printing Labels - No FM2R
I send/give about 5 birthday cards a year. I don't really get the mass sending to all and sundry. I enjoy the ones from my parents and children, but that's about it.

Although having said that, a friend of mine writes individual and reasonably unique letters to everybody on his Christmas card list, and they number about 25.

His cards are a pleasure to receive, although I never send him one. Its too intimidating. He would judge me.
 Printing Labels - Ambo
I got a Dymo LabelWriter 450 from Amazon yesterday, rtj70. It took me less than an hour to get it hopelessly jammed. A very pleasant gentleman at Dymo support services told me how to clear it. I restarted it and it wouldn't stop printing a label I had prepared unless I cut its throat at the mains. A charming and endlessly patient lady at support services told me how to deal with that. I can now produce single labels but the next big challenge is loading and saving my spread sheet list of addressees.
Latest Forum Posts