Computer Related > TalkTalk Broadband price increase Miscellaneous
Thread Author: VxFan Replies: 12

TalkTalk Broadband price increase - VxFan

Received an email from them today informing me that my BB will go up by £5.00 a month from 18th December 2014 (currently £15.31 a month)

Phoned them and tried the usual blackmail threat of leaving if they couldn't offer me a better deal than that and they asked if I'd like my MAC code so as to take it to another provider. Damn, that backfired didn't it.
So, I tried my other deck of cards and mentioned that on the "offers" page of my account it said that if I renew my BB with them for another year (I've been out of contract with them for quite a while now) they'll reduce 3 months payment to ½ price, i,e £7.65, and the remaining 9 months will be £15.31 a month - same as I'm currently paying. They had to look into the offer as they didn't believe me at first, then accepted it. I did the same.

Yes, I know I can get cheaper BB if I combine it with a phone line package, but the phone line isn't mine and trying to persuade the owner to change from BT is near on impossible.

Trouble is, I live out in the sticks so fibre BB isn't available, neither is Sky, 02, etc.

If I did manage to persuade the phone owner to move to TalkTalk, then I could get a "deal" where it would be £17.60 a month (which would be for line rental, BB and free calls). It would however be an 18 month contract that I would be signing up to and from month 13 of the contract the price would be £27.60 a month. Both of us would benefit but she cannot see it.

It's a no brainer really, but can I persuade the phone line owner? Can I heck. I had the same trouble convincing them to move from British Gas to NPower. Looks like I need to put some figures down on paper and show a complete price breakdown of what they're currently paying against what they could be paying (and saving)
 TalkTalk Broadband price increase - No FM2R
I might be a bit out of touch with the UK market offers these days, but is an unlimited 4G contract or similar out of the ballpark?

S'wot I use here when I'm at the farm or beach house which works just fine. I have a normal fixed line in the town house, but I think its no quicker.

Having said that, whilst the girls stream stuff we don't actually do any great amount of downloading when away.
4G?

Can't even get 3G where I live.
 TalkTalk Broadband price increase - No FM2R
Ah.

TalkTalk Broadband price increase - tyrednemotional
...hmmm.

I'm always interested to see what TT are charging others, and what their current attitude to retention is.

I've also recently received the increase notice for my package.

Prior to the increase, I have a 12 month deal that I blagged on "retention" that gives me unlimited broadband (actual download speed 13.3Mbps) and unlimited anytime UK calls for £5.75 pm. My line rental, paid in advance, is £10.50pm. I can't really better the service and price in an area where there is only one other unbundled provider. (TalkTalk have actually been pretty good, though I use their member forums for support (and politely), never the call centre).

The base price increase will cost me another £1.50pm (as the rest of the discount still operates for the contract term).

I could also have TV, and now a free mobile Sim, neither of which I need, and I tend to use this as a negotiation strategy to reduce my re-contracting costs.

Hope they don't take the hard line with me on next renewal (though I will move if they do).

Like many aspects of life nowadays, it seems a strange (and annoying) way of doing business (even if you do understand why they do it).
 TalkTalk Broadband price increase - Robin O'Reliant
After seven years with Talk Talk I switched to Plusnet a week ago. TT were alright in general, but they've had a few spells where the email has gone down for a couple of days and their call centres left a lot to be desired. They never seemed to make a record of any calls and every time I phoned over an issue I had to explain the whole problem all over again to another operator.
"Dear Mr Vx

Your Latest TalkTalk Bill Has Arrived. Your payment of £10.15 is due on 06/01/15"

"Er, no it isn't. You gave me a deal of ½ price BB for 3 months (i.e. £7.65) followed by 9 months @ £15.31 if I renewed my contract with you"

"You haven't renewed your contract with us, so your BB package is increasing to £20.31 per month, but discounted to £10.15 for the first 3 months"

"Sigh! Put me through to one of your supervisors or managers so I can sort this out"

"Hello, if my package hasn't been renewed, why are you giving me 3 months @ ½ price?"

"Good point! Let me look into this for you. I can see that the contract wasn't renewed. Unfortunately I cannot offer BB at £15.31 per month because of the price increases. However what I am prepared to to is offer it to you @ ½ price for 6 months, and 6 months full price, and I will also add £50 credit onto the account because of our mistake and that you won't be getting BB @ £7.66 for 3 months.

In short,
Old deal year total: £160.77 (3 months @ £7.66, 9 months @£15.31)
New deal year total: £132.82 (6 months @ £10.16, 6 months @ £20.31 & £50 credit)

We'll see if they can actually get it right this time. From past experience ## they haven't and it took several phone calls to resolve.

##
www.car4play.com/forum/post/index.htm?t=3626&m=180664&v=e
www.car4play.com/forum/post/index.htm?t=3626&m=206577&v=e
www.car4play.com/forum/post/index.htm?t=3626&m=206647&v=e
www.car4play.com/forum/post/index.htm?t=3626&m=231585&v=e
www.car4play.com/forum/post/index.htm?t=3626&m=231777&v=e
www.car4play.com/forum/post/index.htm?t=3626&m=232841&v=e
 TalkTalk Broadband price increase - Duncan
I sure I have posted on here my experience with TalkTalk.

It got to to the point when I had decided to cancel and had trouble convincing them that I meant it.

"We can offer you X + Y"

No, I want to cancel.

"We can offer you X + Y + Z"

No, I just want to cancel. I really want to cancel. I can't take any more.

We got there in the end. I am now with PlusNet, perhaps not the cheapest, but at least I speak - if I need to speak - to someone whose first language is English.
 TalkTalk Broadband price increase - spamcan61
>>
>> We got there in the end. I am now with PlusNet, perhaps not the cheapest,
>> but at least I speak - if I need to speak - to someone whose
>> first language is English.
>>
For some bizarre reason I now have access to fibre optic broadband out here in the sticks (ish), checked my account on PlusNet and I can upgrade to 38meg (marketing figure) broadband for two quid per month less than my current 11 meg (actual figure) ADSL 2+ is costing me, so bit of a result there.
 TalkTalk Broadband price increase - Stuartli
Been with TalkTalk since April 2006 on a legacy broadband and phone package. Wanted to upgrade to fibre, but you can't with this package.

So I rang up customer services six weeks ago, spoke to TT's Preston call centre and eventually agreed a new 18 month contract which included fibre at half price for 18 months (usually six), fibre activation fee of £30 covered by fibre activation welcome credit of £50(!) and free delivery of the Super Router (actually proving quite a good one for an ISP's model).

Actually paying less at the moment than I did previously for just a standard broadband and free Anytime UK and International calls package and with an on the nail 38Mb fibre broadband download speed...:-) Save even more (10 per cent, used to be 15 per cent) by paying the bill immediately, even though it's on Direct Debit. The DD has never been activated after early payment.
 TalkTalk Broadband price increase - legacylad
For the past two years I have paid my line rental in advance with TT, £114. It expired late Oct, I never received a letter about it and can find no trace of an email notifying me of the end contract date. Now they want £180 line rental, and promises to return calls within a four hour time period have simply not happened. I cannot seem to get through to a UK call centre either.
All I want is line rental & BB. No more, no less.
Hopeless lot
 TalkTalk Broadband price increase - RattleandSmoke
I must get mine cancelled, I am paying about £27 a month now for BB and line rental. Is quite frankly far too much so in the new year they are going to do it for £20 a month or loose me as a customer.
 TalkTalk Broadband price increase - legacylad
You must be able to get it cheaper than that? My landline was £114 pa rental, and BB £2.50 PCM, which equates to about £14 pcm ( after early doors beer). Which is why I am moving from TT. I shall investigate properly in the next few days.
Latest Forum Posts