Computer Related > No sound on Lenovo Thinkpad Computing Issues
Thread Author: Chris S Replies: 9

No sound on Lenovo Thinkpad - Chris S
I've got a Lenovo Thinkpad R61 running Windows XP. For some reason the sound has stopped working when I watch online videos or try to use the CD.

I've still got sound when I use Skype so it can't be the drivers. I've checked the volume control and the Mute so it can't be that either. Does anybody have any idea what it could be?
 No sound on Lenovo Thinkpad - smokie
Do you mean you've checked the volume control within Youtube or whatever app you're using to watch the videos? Or just the computer volume control? As they are independent...
I checked the PC volume. There's a speaker icon in the icon tray. If you click on it it shows a dialog with a sliding volume control and a mute checkbox. The volume is at the maximum and the mute checkbox is unticked.
 No sound on Lenovo Thinkpad - tyrednemotional
...try right-clicking on the speaker Icon, and see if other options appear.

It is not uncommon to be able to set individual levels for (or mute) individual input sources, but the methods vary dramatically (but are often accessible via this right-click).

On this m/c, for instance, left clicking shows much the same as your machine.

Right-clicking, however, brings up a separate menu, from which I can select Playback Devices/Speakers/Levels, whereupon I get a window with the ability to set individual input levels for (or mute) each of Line-in, CD, or microphone.

I'd suggest you try a right click, check any options, and explore for similar.
Thanks - right-clicking brought up an 'open volume control' menu item, which opened a dialog. Mute had been ticked for the Wave option, whatever that means. I unticked it and the sound was back!

I must have clicked some sort of shortcut to tick this. I seem to remember the same thing happening with my last Thinkpad 10 years ago.
 No sound on Lenovo Thinkpad - smokie
OK, that's good - but in addition to that the app you are using to watch the media will usually have it's own volume control. Which app are you using to watch the video?
 No sound on Lenovo Thinkpad - Zero
>> I've still got sound when I use Skype so it can't be the drivers. I've
>> checked the volume control and the Mute so it can't be that either.

It could very easily be the drivers, what can't be wrong is the hardware. Check smokies suggestion first tho

Is there some kind of sound mixer app as well?
Last edited by: Zero on Mon 18 Jan 16 at 15:52
 No sound on Lenovo Thinkpad - devonite
The latest Win 10 "update" knacked my sound too! - red x on speaker icon in task bar told me i had no speakers or h/phones connected, (there was).
Went into device manager, r/clicked on sound device and uninstalled the Drivers, rebooted, ran the troubleshooter and it reloaded new uptodate Drivers and all was well.
 No sound on Lenovo Thinkpad - Focal Point
Another forum I frequent has brought up the issue of Windows 10 on PCs and problems with sound. The remedy suggested is not to rely on Windows Update, or even your system, to report whether the drivers are up to date.

You go to your motherboard manufacturer's website first, to see if there's any special variant of the driver that is required (typically Realtek HD driver). You may be able to download the latest version from there, or go to the Realtek site.

A lot of sound drivers were updated from the summer of 2015 onwards; if your drivers are from much before this, they may well not be up to date and may not work with W10.
 No sound on Lenovo Thinkpad - No FM2R
Ditto video drivers.
Latest Forum Posts