Computer Related > Kodi? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Haywain Replies: 35

Kodi? - Haywain
A friend mentioned that he uses Kodi to watch football on his computer I wonder if anyone on here has any experience of Kodi - and, most importantly, will it work on a Mac.

Any guidance gratefully accepted.
 Kodi? - tyrednemotional
I've recently installed Kodi on a Windows 10 laptop, as I want to play Windows Media Centre HD TV recordings, and it's the only software I can find that does this "out of the box" (on Win 10).

I haven't had a good play with it yet, (it does do what I wanted it for) but there are a significant number of add-ons and components available that make a brief overview impossible.

It is certainly installable on Mac, though what components are and aren't available I couldn't vouch for.

You can get more background at:

www.kodi.tv

...where there is a WIKI which may answer some of your questions.
 Kodi? - rtj70
Kodi is a renaming of XBMCâ„¢ Media Center. There are plugins for this so I take it there's one that knows where to look for (illegal) football broadcasts.

XBMCâ„¢ Media Centre and now Kodi have Mac versions. I can't comment on here about accessing illegal football broadcasts. Someone on here does this I'm sure - I can think of one name but I'll leave that for them to step forward so to speak.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Mon 18 Jan 16 at 22:27
 Kodi? - devonite
I use FSI - nearly every prem lge match plus the top european games. very reliable site, no need to download anything either.

www.footballstreaming.info/streams/todays-links/index.html
 Kodi? - Haywain
"I use FSI"

Ooh - that looks interesting. I must admit, when the computer is working well, I'm a bit averse to downloading additional stuff.

Thanks for the comments, chaps.
 Kodi? - Focusless
Just as a matter of interest, is FSI legal? Is using it legal?
 Kodi? - devonite
>Just as a matter of interest, is FSI legal? Is using it legal?

I think so, Sky BB disabled a lot of "other" similar sites, and film streaming sites, but they have left FSI un-blocked, so it must be ok in my book.

look at the home page it seems pretty transparent in its workings and it's malware and ad free!
 Kodi? - Haywain
"no need to download anything "

It says something about installing 'Sopcast' and 'Ace Stream' - did you have to install them, or did you simply register?
 Kodi? - devonite
You only need downloads if you use the Sopcast or Ace stream, if you use one of the Browser-based streams you don't need to. I use most of the browser streams, some work well some a bit buffery or in foriegn language, but Cric-free, feed2all and several others work ok for me on my system, different ones may work best for you - experiment!
There is no need to register (i didn't have to - but I started using it 4yrs ago, don't think you have to unless you want to post in the forum - i don't.
Sometimes if you find a good stream but it's not in English, you can open a second stream that is English and use that commentry whilst watching the better stream.

All you can do is try it and see! - hth.
 Kodi? - devonite
Missed edit: (from bottom of "homepage")

>Welcome to FSi - The home of 'No Subscriptions, No Fees, Just Football!'<<
 Kodi? - rtj70
No guarantee it's virus or trojan free. Just saying. If it plays video and uses something Adobe Flash then who knows what it's doing.

I've never used it just adding a warning.

The fact Sky or BT have not gone after it yet doesn't make it legal in the UK either.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Wed 20 Jan 16 at 00:03
 Kodi? - devonite
True! - I've never caught anything from it, but I agree it's possible same as any site really, and yes it does/did use Flash, but I think i read somewhere that they were changing to Htmls5 or suchlike, as flash is dying out.
 Kodi? - rtj70
>>flash is dying out.

And a security nightmare.

But many mainstream sites use it and we can probably trust these. This site for footy coverage on the other hand might provide coverage because there MIGHT be something dodgy. Again just a warning.

Worth using a standalone, unimportant old PC (or VM) perhaps?
 Kodi? - Bobby
I have an Amazon fire stick that plugs into HDMI of tv and works through your wireless.
Installed Kodi on it and then the world is your oyster so to speak.

Loads of addons so I can watch live football, films still at cinema, old series of Dads Army and everything in between.

With the football you sometimes need to be patient flicking through the various addons to find a stream that is good. None of them are going to give you what Sky HD gives you but that's a price to pay, for not paying the price so to speak!
 Kodi? - Haywain
"None of them are going to give you what Sky HD gives you"

To be honest - the whole question has rather gone off the boil since yesterday evening when Leicester City (sob, sob) departed the FA Cup. :-(

O me miserum
 Kodi? - Pat
>>Leicester City (sob, sob) departed the FA Cup. :-(
<<

I know that feeling well Haywain.

Pat
 Kodi? - Stuartli
Greater things may well still be on the way this season for the Foxes...:-)
 Kodi? - Pat
Good result for them on Sunday!

Pat
 Kodi? - smokie
Bobby - I'n curious about Fire Sticks, is it possible to watch live BBC12/BBC2/ITV etc on it or can you only get catch up?
 Kodi? - rtj70
If iPlayer is being installed on the Fire stick, then I'd guess it must support the live channels (well not quite live). That's what the iPlayer app does and this is just another Android device.
 Kodi? - Stuartli
You can watch virtually instant live TV from a wide range of channels, including BBC, ITV etc using the TV Player app:

www.amazon.co.uk/TV-Player-TVPlayer/dp/B00G6H6BTA

I have it on a Nexus 10 tablet, desktop, laptop and Smartphone, along with a similar app, ToView:

play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.gzero.tv

There are others, if you are interested, including TV, film and general entertainment apps.

Last edited by: Stuartli on Mon 25 Jan 16 at 12:01
 Kodi? - Bobby
Smokie there are some addons which stream UK channels so these will be there, somewhere!
 Kodi? - rtj70
>> Loads of addons so I can watch live football, films still at cinema, old series of Dads Army and
>> everything in between.

So which add on for these for example?
 Kodi? - Bobby
So I install Wookie into Kodi and then this itself loads a whole load of addons for things like Phoenix, UK Turk, etc. At work so can't remember them all but they are filtered under appropriate headings like Sport, Movies etc
 Kodi? - No FM2R
Kodi/Wookie on a PC or on another device?
 Kodi? - smokie
I'm assuming he's talking about the Fire Stick.
 Kodi? - Bobby
Yeah the firestick sorry.
 Kodi? - rtj70
I've tried it on my Nook tablet (stock Android and on the Mac). Used the same add-ons I'd looked up and sources like UK Turk etc. were added. I think this setup will be the same on Mac, PC, Android tablet/phone/stick etc.

Quality on some of the 'channels' is poor. But tried Sky Sports out last night and it was good quality. I'll give it a test tomorrow when the football is on.
 Kodi? - Stuartli
Just come across this about installing Kodi on a Fire Stick on an e-mail newsletter:

www.expertreviews.co.uk/tvs-entertainment/media-streamers/1404248/how-to-install-kodi-on-the-amazon-fire-tv-stick

Also piece about a further new Now TV box coming out later this year:

tinyurl.com/hskcy7w
Last edited by: Stuartli on Fri 29 Jan 16 at 15:27
 Kodi? - Stuartli
A while back I was told about Mobdro, which can stream a wide range of entertainment and sports channels to a Smarphone or tablet (can be done on a PC but a bit involved).

So installed it on my phone and tablet and it works...:-)

www.mobdro.com/

www.mobdro.com/getstarted

Bluestacks Player from:

edutechupdates.com/android-apps-for-pc/mobdro-pc-laptop-windows-iphone-ipad-download/

(best, it seems, to download the Mobro apk for Android app from its own website)
 Kodi? - smokie
Price has dropped on voice remote Firestick, down to £39.99 (from £45.99). Ordered one, using £30 Xmas gift token I was given.
 Kodi? - sherlock47
No mention of www.livego.tv so far in this thread. Although they charge a monthly fee it provides almost perfect HD streaming of all premium sports channels. You can pay on a one off monthly basis that does not auto debit. This month was a good sports-fest with Tennis-cricket and FA cup rounds.

It runs in all PC browsers and scales to full screen and to tv at 1280x800. Will run on Android using Kobi with an addon, but a bit of a faff to install. It hides the necessary add on in video tab, not the TV tab.

They claim it will also work on MAC I think.
Last edited by: sherlock47 on Mon 15 Feb 16 at 21:36
 Kodi? - Bobby
That looks interesting Sherlock. I already get BT thru the web as fil has an account.
Assume this just gives the listed channels so will get good Sky Coverage but games that aren't on Sky, eg the 3pm kick offs that you can find on Kodi add one won't be included in this package?
 Kodi? - sherlock47
Most Premier league games can be found on the Sport or Sport HD Channels - I watched Spurs last 2 weeks ago on some N.American Channel Ontario I think. Perfect stream
 Kodi? - Bobby
Sherlock, is this best on laptop with HDMI or Amazon fire with Kodi?

I can get most channels free through the kodi with Wookie etc but sometimes theres a lot of trial and error to find a stream that works and that pees the missus off when she is wanting to watch a game as she doesn't have the patience for it!
I assume your month subscription only allows either/or as opposed to both?

(I did email them to ask them this but no reply)
 Kodi? - sherlock47
I am using it both on a Windows10 laptop ( with a lowish spec) with a HDMI connection to a Sony TV (using any browser) and a Hudl2 with KODI (with add-on) via the micro HDMI to same TV.

Very easy to use when Kodi installed.
Latest Forum Posts