Computer Related > Portable storage problem Miscellaneous
Thread Author: legacylad Replies: 14

Portable storage problem - legacylad
I'm away overseas soon and a friend has downloaded lots of films & TV series onto his laptop, prior to uploading them onto some portable storage I bought...Seagate Back Up Plus Slim 2TB. Neither his laptop, nor desktop recognises the Seagate device. Nor does my laptop, a Samsung Q330. His old Seagate is recognised on all three devices, no problem. My pal is quite switched on with technology, and presumes the new Seagate must be faulty.
Anything he/ I are missing please?
Im going to buy another portable storage item from Currys tomorrow... Time is of the essence.
Sometimes me & technology just don't get along!!
 Portable storage problem - No FM2R
Right click on "My computer" select Manage, then Disk Management.

If the disk is showing there then formatting it will sort it out.

I presume you've swapped the cable.
Why should I change the cable? I used the one supplied...
 Portable storage problem - smokie
To rule out it being faulty...
 Portable storage problem - tyrednemotional
...Seagate ships a number of its external disks pre-formatted for Mac, rather than PC.

There is just a chance you've picked one of these up (as, apart from a bit of wording, they are identical in appearance).

If that is the case, then reformatting under disk management, (as already mentioned) will resolve it.
While you are in Manage (above) go to Device Manager and see if the disk is listed there, under disk drives.

If it isn't, then it won't be in Disk Management either and you could have a faulty disk. You may see it there with a fault (yellow exclamation mark, often a driver problem) but most disks will show up properly without any user effort. (If you stay on that screen while plugging in and unplugging the disk, you will see the disk being added/removed - no refresh required.)

Also as Mark says change the cable if you can.
Any progress to report LL?
Thanks for all your replies & advice. It's a faulty product.
En route home yesterday I called in to see a friends who is a wiz with stuff like this. The device was seen by his desk top but was not recognised as a device. As per my own laptop and my other friends desktop & laptop. I reserved & collected a WD My Passport Ultra portable hard drive from Currys & that worked fine. I used the lead from this in conjunction with the Seagate just in case the lead was faulty but still didn't work.
Now need to return it to Amazon, do my tax return, work half a day for a friend, then pack & fly out to Spain in under 48 hours.
Lashing with rain here... Looking forward to Blue skies in Finistrat until March. And watching Breaking Bad all over again! A pal is downloading lots of films for me...Apocalypse Now, Once upon a time in the west, 3 series of The Bridge, Man in the High Castle.
Amazon returns are easy especially if you have a local collection store. Use their live chat facility to do it, they will process the return and send you the address labels. Refund follows a few days later.
 Portable storage problem - spamcan61
In nearly 20 years of home PC usage I've only had 3 HDDs fail - and two of those have been Seagates within the last 3 months. Neither disk was more than a few months old.
Useful to know.

I'm sure someone will be along soon telling us about how they'd never buy an IBM/Hitachi/whoever-it-is-now disk because of 10+ year old experiences with their Deathstar, which admittedly seemed to have "reliability issues"....
 Portable storage problem - spamcan61
>> Useful to know.
>>
>> I'm sure someone will be along soon telling us about how they'd never buy an
>> IBM/Hitachi/whoever-it-is-now disk because of 10+ year old experiences with their Deathstar, which admittedly seemed to
>> have "reliability issues"....
>>
Yeah, seems most manufacturers have a bad patch which gets them a bad reputation for evermore - not that there are many manufacturers left.
 Portable storage problem - BrianByPass
>> >> IBM/Hitachi/whoever-it-is-now disk because of 10+ year old experiences with their Deathstar,

>> >>
>> Yeah, seems most manufacturers have a bad patch which gets them a bad reputation for
>> evermore - not that there are many manufacturers left.
>>

What Can 49,056 Hard Drives Tell Us? Hard Drive Reliability Stats for Q3 2015

As of the end of Q3 2015, there were 50,228 drives spinning in the Backblaze datacenter. Subtracting boot drives, drive models with less than 45 drives and drives in testing systems, we are publishing data on 49,056 hard drives spread across 26 different models, varying from 1.0TB to 8.0TB in size.

www.backblaze.com/blog/hard-drive-reliability-q3-2015/

Last edited by: BrianByPass on Wed 10 Feb 16 at 12:36
Hmmm a couple of models of the Seagate Barracudas don't do very well do they!!
 Portable storage problem - MD
Where Eagles Dare?
Latest Forum Posts