Computer Related > Saving E.Mails on Thunderbird. Computing Issues
Thread Author: Robbie34 Replies: 6

Saving E.Mails on Thunderbird. - Robbie34
My PC has to be returned to Novatech for repair and I need to save my e.mails to a removable hard drive in case they get deleted. It was quite easy to export e.mails with Outlook Express bit I can't find a way to do this with Thunderbird. Anyone know if it can be done, and how?
 Saving E.Mails on Thunderbird. - No FM2R
I've not done it, but this might help you through it....

its.isber.ucsb.edu/guides/exporting-e-mail-thunderbird
Last edited by: No FM2R on Fri 29 Jan 16 at 18:37
 Saving E.Mails on Thunderbird. - smokie
I also don't use Thunderbird but maybe there is a single file containing all your emails you can backup - then if you need you can slot that file in under a new installation of Thunderbird.

This article talks about backup up your profile, which apparently holds such a file, although i read other stuff which said it's changed in a "recent" release - just how recent I don't know. kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_backup

Belt and braces - if you can still access the computer do what Mark's link says and why not back up as well?
 Saving E.Mails on Thunderbird. - tyrednemotional
...if you can follow its processes, this (free) product will archive and restore from most mail clients, including (it says) Thunderbird.

Haven't used it against Thunderbird, but I have against Outlook, Outlook Express and Windows Live Mail without too much difficulty. (It would also allow you to import a Thunderbird archive into a different product)

www.mailstore.com/en/mailstore-home-email-archiving.aspx

(Note, it is only Mailstore Home which is free (and has lots of functions) , don't go for the 30 day trial of the full product).

Saving E.Mails on Thunderbird. - misar
You don't need to export the emails. All personal data is kept in a folder called profiles which is in the OS default location for user data. You can just move or copy that folder (hidden in recent Windows) to a USB stick and put it back later.

Full instructions here:
kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_folder_-_Thunderbird
 Saving E.Mails on Thunderbird. - Stuartli
...or similar type support link which, at first glance, appears to be a little more current (!):

support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/profiles-tb#w_backing-up-a-profile

Saving E.Mails on Thunderbird. - neiltoo
I was just going to recommend "mozbackup" which we have used for some time.
However, the author says that there are now issues, which he hasn't the time to mend, so I'll have to go elsewhere. Look forward to discusion on this thread.

Latest Forum Posts