Computer Related > Disk almost full and I have very little on the PC Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Falkirk Bairn Replies: 13

Disk almost full and I have very little on the PC - Falkirk Bairn
20 months old laptop running Vista, 2 virtual disks of 32Gb

In that time the c disk has filled by Vista storing backups of the system!

Only 2.4 Gb left and the space taken by Vista cannot be deleted (IMO)

What is the solution?
 Disk almost full and I have very little on the PC - Focusless
>> In that time the c disk has filled by Vista storing backups of the system!

Do you mean restore points? If so, the amount allocated for that can be altered (sorry in linux at the mo).
 Disk almost full and I have very little on the PC - spamcan61
If it is system restore hogging the drive this shows hot to reduce it:-

www.watchingthenet.com/how-to-reduce-disk-space-used-by-windows-vista-system-restore.html
 Disk almost full and I have very little on the PC - rtj70
Do you mean virtual disks as in VMWARE or similar?

If so then these can grow quite a bit but can be compacted. If you use snapshots they can get out of hand.
 Disk almost full and I have very little on the PC - spamcan61
Thinking about it system restore should be taking 100s of MB worst case, not GB.
 Disk almost full and I have very little on the PC - Fenlander
As a starter do you clear out the Internet Explorer files and also do you go into System Tools from the Programs menu and do a Disk Cleanup now and again?
pagefile.sys is 2,000,000 Kb

Is it safe to delete
>> pagefile.sys is 2 000 000 Kb
>>
>> Is it safe to delete

In a word, no - google it for info. Basically it's what your PC uses when it runs out of RAM. You can reduce its size, but there should be other things that it's safer to delete.
>> In a word no

According to the info, if you have 4Gb of RAM in your machine and don't run anything out of the ordinary, then you probably could get rid of it safely eg.
www.techmixer.com/pagefilesys-how-to-remove-pagefilesys-from-windows/

However, as I said previously, I think there should be other stuff that could go first. Have you tried some of the other suggestions eg. disk cleanup, checking the system restore settings?
 Disk almost full and I have very little on the PC - Zero
> What is the solution?

1/ Copy your needed data off the system, format drives and reinstall operating system
2/ Buy a larger drive, ghost yours onto the new drive
3/ Buy a new laptop.

I am confused tho, 20 months old and only a 64gb drive?
 Disk almost full and I have very little on the PC - rtj70
That's why I queries the use of 'virtual drives' of 32Gb. Surely partitions. And for a newish laptop then it should have larger drives. Unless of course it's an SSD but I doubt it.
It is an Acer laptop, AMD/2Gb/60Gb drive divided into 2 x partitions of 30Gb.

The drive c: is filling up with Vista for example the system dumps sessions to disk if for instance the battery dies. Instead of over writing the file just gets bigger and bigger.
 Disk almost full and I have very little on the PC - Zero
Thats called hibernation, there should be just one called hiberfil.sys or something similar.
It wont be growing in size.
 Disk almost full and I have very little on the PC - smokie
I'd be using the Find utility to find any files over a certain size, then try myself to identify what they belong to. This sounds like something more sinister than system restore points. Could even be a bit of corruption in the file system, reporting a file size badly which is skewing the free space.

If it does turn out to be restore points you should be able to get rid of all but a handful. I really don't see it's that though.

Another thought - right click on the c:windows directory, and the c:program files then click Properties, just to see how large they are. Can't remember exact figures, but I think Vista would usually be under 10Gb and Program Files will vary depending on what you've installed, but another 10Gb wouldn't be unreasonable.
Last edited by: smokie on Tue 2 Mar 10 at 22:31
Latest Forum Posts