Computer Related > My emails are not received by a friend's computer Miscellaneous
Thread Author: L'escargot Replies: 18

My emails are not received by a friend's computer - L'escargot
A friend has been advised that the reason their computer doesn't receive my emails is that there is something about my emails which their computer rejects ~ viruses etc. I'd like to be able to authoratitively refute this allegation. Their's is the only computer which doesn't receive my emails. My computer has Webroot Antivirus with Spysweeper. with all 13 shields enabled, plus Webroot Desktop Firewall. How can I provide concrete evidence that my emails are virus-free?
 My emails are not received by a friend's computer - Focusless
>> A friend has been advised that the reason their computer doesn't receive my emails is
>> that there is something about my emails which their computer rejects

Have they shown you the messages generated by their computer which leads them to that conclusion? Assuming there are some, it might give some clues as to what's going on.
>> >> A friend has been advised that the reason their computer doesn't receive my emails
>> is
>> >> that there is something about my emails which their computer rejects
>>
>> Have they shown you the messages generated by their computer which leads them to that
>> conclusion?

The conclusion (supposition?) was reached recently by their friend, several weeks after the non-arrival of my last email.
 My emails are not received by a friend's computer - Zero
computers do not reject emails, if they have a virus the
user is warned and they are quarantined, if they are classed as spam the are put into a spam filtered folder.

As I say they never get rejected, UNLESS, special filters are installed to filter them out and leave them on the server. ( or the server does it)

What is the email domain of the user you are trying to send to?

(eg the @somewhere.com bit)

My emails are not received by a friend's computer - Focusless
Is your email program configured to send emails in HTML or RTF? If so, try setting it to plain text and see if that makes any difference.
 My emails are not received by a friend's computer - sherlock47
and tell us how the recipient is getting the email/information. Is he using webmail or an email client?
I know this sounds silly and insulting, but, you are using the recipients correct email address?
 My emails are not received by a friend's computer - sherlock47
Are you sending any other emails sucessfully to the same domain?

I can recall seeing a situation where it was impossible to send emails to a Norwegian domain from any wanadoo address. nobody would hold up their hands to being the 'guilty' party. But it was a hard fault. Only solved by forwarding thro an intermediary not on Wanadoo.
I've checked and double-checked their email address, and even sent them a text telling them what address I've been using. I've just replied to one of their emails by (at their request) just clicking on Reply and not adding anything. At the moment I'm satisfied that the problem is at their end, because all my emails to other recipients arrive OK. I firmly believe my computer is virus-free.

I don't know anything about domains! What's a domain?
Last edited by: L'escargot on Thu 5 Aug 10 at 12:02
 My emails are not received by a friend's computer - smokie
I remember a similar problem a bit back on one of our computers - users on a particular domain did not receive my emails. It just resolved itself after a bit but the research I did at the time indicated an ISP issue - possibly yours - with the servers not knowing how to talk to each other. Almost definitely not a virus problem.

(Having said that, I think some ISPs now block mail which they strongly suspect is spam before it reaches the user mailbox - but I doubt your mail would be identified as spam).
 My emails are not received by a friend's computer - smokie
MX records ring a bell. This is what your server uses to find the remote user's server. I think they are server based, so it extracts the destination (e.g. virginmedia.com) from your email then looks it up in it's MX records. If no record is found, it doesn't get delivered.

You could try sending to another user on the same domain (@xyz.com) if you know one.

Or the remote user may have inadvertently blacklisted you.

I don't know if turning on delivery confirmation would result in you getting an error message back, which would be helpful.

Best bet might be to research on your ISPs support page, or place a call with them.

I'll ask them to check their Mail Rules and Blocked Senders list. I think they're unjustifiably maligning my computer safety/ISP/mail service.
My computer is set to always request a read receipt.
 My emails are not received by a friend's computer - VxFan
>> My computer is set to always request a read receipt.

Mine is set to confirm whether I want to give one back or not. 99% of the time I refuse to, mainly to stop my sent items box filling up with even more crap.
Whats the domain!!!!!!

(the "@somewhere.com" bit)
 My emails are not received by a friend's computer - Tooslow
I understood that, occasionally, an ISP will be blacklisted if there is an unusually high level of spam coming from their customers. Tiscali springs to mind as an offender. After a few weeks, if they've cleaned up, then mail from their domain will be accepted again.

But I'm inclined to believe the simple explanation, as already put forward, finger trouble at the receiving end. The friend's speculation is being taking as fact rather than speculation unfortunately.

JH
 My emails are not received by a friend's computer - Clk Sec
I had a rather strange experience with emails a couple of years ago. Someone living only half a mile away could receive mine, but I could not receive his. This went on for several months despite us both changing our ISP's and servers, though not because of this problem. Then for some unknown reason the table turned and I started receiving his emails, but he then could not receive mine.

This continued for a further couple of months before it rectified itself, and has not been a problem since.
I sent them a test email yesterday and subsequently got a read receipt. Clearly the problem had been at their end and they've since had it fixed, although I doubt whether they'll ever admit it.!

Thanks for all your comments.
Last edited by: L'escargot on Fri 6 Aug 10 at 07:51
 My emails are not received by a friend's computer - Clk Sec
>>Clearly the problem had been at their end and they've since had it fixed, although I doubt whether they'll ever admit it.!

Perhaps it rectified itself, as in my case.
Latest Forum Posts