Computer Related > Play Station 4 Computing Issues
Thread Author: Bobby Replies: 14

Play Station 4 - Bobby
OK I know nothing of these but will ask the question I have asked.

Boy has 500GB PS4 but is now running our of space, how do you extend the space on one of these?

Apparently you buy games and then download them onto the hard drive (sometimes taking hours) and play them from there.

With my ZX Spectrum you just loaded direct from the cassette...........
 Play Station 4 - VxFan
Presumably if you can download them onto the hard drive, then there must be an option to also remove them too?

Or does he not want to remove the games stored on it, but just keep adding more and more games?

Alternately just fit a bigger hard drive.

www.trustedreviews.com/news/ps4-hdd-upgrade-how-to-upgrade-your-ps4-storage

Play Station 4 - spamcan61
Looks like you can use an external HDD, but it's a bit f a faff as you have to transfer the content you want to play back to the internal HDD before playing it.

www.ryli.net/ps4-external-hdd-guide/
 Play Station 4 - devonite
Buy a second hand one and fill that up too! - could work out cheaper in the long run and save faffing about! ;-)
 Play Station 4 - Bobby
That looks like the easier option!

The first option is very well laid out step by step.... to someone who knows what they are doing!
 Play Station 4 - Rudedog
My son has an xbox but the principle is the same, he uses a 2TB external drive (Seagate I think) to hold he's games on.
 Play Station 4 - rtj70
>> My son has an xbox but the principle is the same

No it is not the same. For the Xbox One you can add external storage and use it as extra storage for games etc. For the PS4 you need to upgrade/replace the internal drive if you want to play games held on the storage. Fairly straightforward.

If you want to move games about between internal and USB external storage on a PS4 you can do that. But you can only play games from the internal drive.

Maybe get a new PS4?
Last edited by: rtj70 on Wed 26 Oct 16 at 01:10
 Play Station 4 - Rudedog
Oh OK.. shows you how much attention I pay when it comes to games consoles.
 Play Station 4 - Falkirk Bairn
Son bought a new model PS4 this week - transferred the data from old to new - took hours.

Sold old model on internet.

Net cost of new PS4 = £120.

New machine with warranty, faster, bigger disk , better graphics......WIN WIN for £120.

He had looked at an external drive & thought it was just hassle.
 Play Station 4 - rtj70
>> New machine with warranty, faster, bigger disk , better graphics......WIN WIN for £120.

So if this is a faster PS4 with better graphics, that makes this a PS4 Pro. So about £330. You can buy a new PS4 500GB for about £230. So did he really sell an old, second hand PS4 for £210?
Last edited by: rtj70 on Fri 25 Nov 16 at 23:25
He bought for £300 & sold for £180 - net £120.

He just advertised on local sale site in Facebook - put it up for sale & the person came round with readies a couple of hours later - he reckons he was quite lucky & did not have people coming round wanting to buy it BUT at THEIR knockdown price.
 Play Station 4 - rtj70
I am surprised someone would pay so much for a second hand PS4 when a new one was not much more.
PS4 in immaculate condition, the original boxes & a few games "for free" rather than
£230+ and 1 game!!
 Play Station 4 - rtj70
>> PS4 in immaculate condition, the original boxes

It's still second hand and could fail - it's a computer after all.

The original boxes aren't that useful are they? Oh hang on they were this time because someone thought buying second hand with some boxes was better than buying new.

:-)
>>It's still second hand and could fail - it's a computer after all.

2nd hand but 6 games done up in the original boxes will look brilliant
on Xmas day - it would have been £300+ to buy a new machine & games

PS4 consoles sell around £140 to £200 2nd hand depending on model - £180 + games looks good value - maybe not to some but value to the buyer!

Just like buying a 2nd hand car - condition & extras charges are higher!!
Latest Forum Posts