Computer Related > Samsung Galaxy S6 Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Pat Replies: 25

Samsung Galaxy S6 - Pat
I don't like it, in fact I hate it.

It's the wrong size and I can't quite span it enough to grip it.

I drop it.

If I do manage to pick it up I hit either one of the two buttons on the sides and do things I don't want to.

I've decided to get a new phone as Ian has an S6 as well and his has a great signal in the house, but while I stand next door to him, mine struggles and frequently is on emergency calls only.

He can get 4G indoors while I have to go down to 2G just to get a signal.

So what is recommended as a replacement.

I need a touch screen smart phone, good camera and ability to use WhatsApp as I can record messages instead of typing them with that.

It must be a bit smaller though.

TIA

Pat
Last edited by: Pat on Tue 6 Dec 16 at 05:48
 Samsung Galaxy S6 - Duncan
>> I don't like it, in fact I hate it.
>> So what is recommended as a replacement.

iPhone.

You can buy them from the 5S onwards. different sizes and capacities.

These people have a good selection of second hand through to brand new (they claim).

www.smartfonestore.com/

Select the model you want from the left hand column.

Samsung Galaxy S6 - smokie
A mate bought one of the cheapie Chinese phones (unknown brand) for about £220. Can't remember which one and that particular one wouldn't suit you anyway, as it was much bigger than my Xperia Z3, but the quality seemed fine and it does everything he needs it to, which is considerably more than WhatsApp. Much much cheaper than a "branded" phone and I'll certainly be looking at them next time I change.
 Samsung Galaxy S6 - Duncan
Bro in law bought the Vodafone Smart Ultra 6 for £115. He rates it.
 Samsung Galaxy S6 - Roger.
>> Bro in law bought the Vodafone Smart Ultra 6 for £115. He rates it.
>>

I have one and it's BIG!
 Samsung Galaxy S6 - Stuartli
??but the quality seemed fine and it does everything he needs it to, which is considerably more than WhatsApp..??

It could well be one of this company's phones. Built up a substantial reputation so far and originally was only available by invitation:

oneplus.net/uk/one

Recent review:

www.techradar.com/reviews/phones/mobile-phones/oneplus-one-1244307/review
 Samsung Galaxy S6 - VxFan
>> iPhone.

Wot he said.

I've got an iPhone SE. Virtually the same as an iPhone 6S **, but in a smaller package. It's also easier to hold and more grippy than the curve edged iPhone 6S & iPhone 7.

** the iPhone SE doesn't have 3D touch, nor the second-generation of Touch ID. I wasn't really fussed about the SE not having a barometer either.

www.apple.com/uk/iphone/compare/
Last edited by: VxFan on Tue 6 Dec 16 at 10:35
 Samsung Galaxy S6 - BrianByPass
>> He can get 4G indoors while I have to go down to 2G just to
>> get a signal.
>>
On the same netwrok?

>> It must be a bit smaller though.
>>
Rules out Galaxy S7 then.

>> So what is recommended as a replacement.
Have a look at the section halfway down the page here
www.theguardian.com/uk/technology
 Samsung Galaxy S6 - Pat
Yes, on the same network and both phones bought together on the same day. I've been having a whinge at Vodafone this morning and they suggest swapping sim cards when that happens as it sounds like a faulty sim or phone.

Pat
 Samsung Galaxy S6 - BrianByPass
>> Yes, on the same network and both phones bought together on the same day.
>>

Weird!
 Samsung Galaxy S6 - rtj70
>> >> Yes, on the same network and both phones bought together on the same day.
>> Weird!

Does he drop his phone often as well? Because you might have damaged the antennas in yours. If it's the same phone model and network then there's something wrong with the phone.

If you're used to Android phones, you might prefer to stick with Android I guess. But as you've realised they keep making them bigger!

Are you looking to buy one SIM free or upgrade on a contract? As some have mentioned, some of the budget phones are pretty decent these days. Some of the more premium brands do smaller phones with same/spec as their larger ones (apart from the screen of course!), e.g. Sony.
 Samsung Galaxy S6 - Manatee
iPhone Se is £329 on Giffgaff. You have to buy a £10 goodybag, free delivery. iPhone 6S internals, 4" screen.

www.trustedreviews.com/iphone-se-review
 Samsung Galaxy S6 - VxFan
>> iPhone Se is £329 on Giffgaff.

Which is for the smaller 16GB version. Go for the 64GB version and you'll have space left in reserve.
 Samsung Galaxy S6 - Pezzer
I have just recently swapped over to a S6 mainly because I needed a fingerprint sensor but I know exactly what you mean about the volume buttons.
I reluctantly transferred over from a LG G3 which is still a great phone but unfortunately the newer LG G4 does not have a fingerprint sensor either. However what I really liked about the LG was that the power and volume keys are in the middle of the back cover. So whilst it is quite large there isnt really a problem reaching them. Can be had SIM free for around £200 and double tap to wake is brilliant.

ps +1 for smartfonestore
Last edited by: Pezzer on Tue 6 Dec 16 at 16:45
My S6 happens to be in a case at the moment. It's just the sides and back that's covered. It was a cheap case from Amazon bought to protect it when I'm out walking (in case you knock it - it's glass on both sides).

What the case does do is make it a lot more grippy. And the volume and power buttons are recessed so you don't push them by mistake so easily. Something similar to this:

www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00QU4ND3G/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

But your phone sounds like it's broken if it's struggling to get a signal.
 Samsung Galaxy S6 - Pat
Yes, I do drop it but it is in a case when I'm about with it, otherwise it lives on a desk top Wifi charger.

Which is another problem....I love the wifi charger on my desk, I love the fast charge facility of the S6 and I love that we can keep one fast charger in our overnight bag for both phones as well as one car charger kept in the car....and I also have an earpiece that works so I can type while answering phone calls!

I think Vodafone may be prepared to change the sim and also repair the phone if that is found to be faulty after the conversation this morning.

Ian will be home in a minute and we'll swap sims and see what happens to the signal.

Yes, I would be buying it outright if I replace it.

Pat
Last edited by: Pat on Tue 6 Dec 16 at 17:39
That was my next suggestion :-)

I like the fast charge on the S6. I also like the wireless charger too - a bit slower. But misplace it slightly and not only won't it charge but it runs the battery down. Go figure.

They are slippery phones. As a gesture of goodwill I'd send you the one on the Amazon link... if I order in around 3hrs 49min you should get it tomorrow. Definitely makes it more grippy.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Tue 6 Dec 16 at 17:42
One thing I know is the S6 is as big a phone I could live with. Gradually had a big and bigger phone each time. This is only fractionally bigger than the HTC One which had only a 4.7" screen. That was a bit longer to incorporate the stereo speakers.
And the offer was because Amazon ought to be able to deliver it tomorrow to try. It's only £8.99 at the end of the day. Might improve on Pat's use of the phone. It's a good phone. :-)
 Samsung Galaxy S6 - Pat
Well that was enlightening.

Vodafone technical rang last night and asked us to download 'log me in' or 'let me in' or something from Google play and they then had access to both of our phones in the same room laid together.

Their verdict was that the signal is very unstable on both phones.

They elevated it to a Network problem and wanted to investigate it.

Just had a text saying the network is not good in this area and they suggest I purchase a Vodafone Sure Signal at £69 from them to solve the problem.

I don't think so.

We shall have an interesting phone call tomorrow asking them why after living here for 9 years with a perfectly good 3G signal it has deteriorated, and more to the point,, why do they seem to think I should spend £69 to restore it?

I've been a customer of Vodafone for more than 15 years but I can see that coming to an end unless they sort this out pronto.

Pat
Pat, assuming your SGS6 is running the Vodafone firmware then it can connect to your WiFi network and use that instead of the Vodafone network. Okay it's only of use at home.

You do need to register for WiFi calling before you can get this working. My SGS6 is running the generic firmware so the WiFi calling option is not enabled.

You could also install an app to see more detailed info on your signal.

Anyway, taken from Vodafone web-site for setting up WiFi calling:
-----

To set up Wi-Fi Calling, follow these steps:

Connect to Wi-Fi
Go to Settings and choose the Wi-Fi icon to connect to an available Wi-Fi network, such as your home Wi-Fi or a public hotspot
Ensure you have latest software on your phone
To update your software, go to Settings-> About device-> Software update-> Update now
Register for Vodafone Wi-Fi Calling
Text the word CALLING to 97888
This is a free text which will add the service to your account

You should receive the following confirmation text:
Thanks. We’ll add Wi-Fi Calling to your account in the next 24 hours and will let you know when you’re all set up.

If you’d like to discuss this with us, or if you have any other issues, you can find more info here or contact us

Once you receive the confirmation text, switch on Wi-Fi Calling in your settings:
Go to Settings, scroll down and choose the Application icon
Choose Phone and scroll down until you see Wi-Fi Calling – select the box beside this option
A pop-up will appear asking you to confirm if you want to enable Wi-Fi Calling – tap OK
You're now ready to make and receive calls over Wi-Fi.

Please note that Wi-Fi Calling takes effect only when the mobile signal in your area is poor or non-existent and you‘re connected to a Wi-Fi network.
 Samsung Galaxy S6 - Pat
Thanks rtj, I looked at that but you have to be on a Red Bundle to take advantage of it and I'm currently on a lower one than that.

I'm not prepared to pay anymore to maintain a service I've had for the last nine years in this house so either they upgrade me FOC or I walk, simple!

Pat
I hadn't realised it was only for Red bundle tariffs. I could get it if I flash the Vodafone firmware onto this phone. I get a silly amount of UK data per month for £19.20. I will never use that. But I might user the 4GB EU data even away
 Samsung Galaxy S6 - spamcan61
>>
>> Just had a text saying the network is not good in this area and they
>> suggest I purchase a Vodafone Sure Signal at £69 from them to solve the problem.
>>
>> I don't think so.
>>
I had a similar conversation with their customer 'service' clowns a couple of years back. Being on a 30 day rolling contract I threatened to leave and they sent me one for free (other than the electricity it uses 24/7..) Not saying that strategy will necessarily still work!

>>
>> We shall have an interesting phone call tomorrow asking them why after living here for
>> 9 years with a perfectly good 3G signal it has deteriorated, and more to the
>> point,, why do they seem to think I should spend £69 to restore it?
>>
We are now in an era where network operators are desperate to save money on infrastructure, so if they think they can provide 'good enough' coverage in an area with a reduced number of base stations they will shut some down. So worsening coverage in some areas is a distinct possibility; another possibility is that a new building or somesuch has been built between your gaff and the base station, so that you are now effectively in 'shadow coverage' rather than getting a good signal.

>> I've been a customer of Vodafone for more than 15 years but I can see
>> that coming to an end unless they sort this out pronto.
>>
I know that feeling well, going back a decade they charged a bit more than average but you got a bit better customer service than average. Nowadays you get the same crappy service as their competitors but still get charged some premium for that 'service'.

>> Pat
>>
Pat, Did you get any further with your phone with poor connectivity?
 Samsung Galaxy S6 - Pat
Yes, I did.

I had a web chat which lasted for over an hour with Vodafone on Thursday and went from Customer service to Technical, then to retentions then back to technical and finally to the Resolutions Department where they finally agreed to supply me with a Sure Signal free of charge as the problem was theirs and not my phone.

It arrived on Saturday and we connected it on Sunday without a problem.

Immediately I had a full signal on 3G in the house, and it's stayed stable ever since.

If the phone can live on the desk stand charger in the house without me having to keep picking it up and fiddling with it I have decided to try and live with it a bit longer.

It goes in a case when I go to work so it's easier to grip then and less likely to hit the buttons on the side.

Pat
Latest Forum Posts