Computer Related > How do you set file attributes on Android Miscellaneous
Thread Author: smokie Replies: 1

How do you set file attributes on Android - smokie
I have a 3.9Gb .thumbnails file on my internal memory which I need to lose (in the DCIM folder). I've googled around and you can delete it but it re-creates itself, apparently with thumbnails for all the pics you've ever had. You can't easily move it to the SD card.

So one suggestion is to make a new one and make it read-only.

I can't find how to do this without root access. I have just downloaded File Commander which has the ability to change properties but when I change it, the command fails - whether it's on the internal memory or on the SD card.

Does anyone know of an app which I can use to set file attributes to Read Only, or how to do it manually - without rooting the phone?

Phone is an Xperia Z3, Android 6.x

(When they allow aggregating the internal and SD card the problem will go away as I have about 30Gb free on the SD card)
 How do you set file attributes on Android - rtj70
>> When they allow aggregating the internal and SD card
As you know Google supports that on Android 6. Sony might not allow it though. But there are downsides.

As for read-only file access on Android - I think you need root to achieve that. You can then do a chmod or use a file manager that supports changing read/write permissions.
Latest Forum Posts