Computer Related > Auto-completion of "Subject:". Miscellaneous
Thread Author: FotheringtonTomas Replies: 2

Auto-completion of "Subject:". - FotheringtonTomas
I notice that if I enter a character into the "Subject" field of a new article, options appear in some sort of drop-down, these being previously-posted subjects - however, these subjects were psoted by me on the *HJ* "Backroom" site.

Why is this happening?
 Auto-completion of "Subject:". - Focusless
Ok I'll have a go...

When the browser sees a field which is a candidate for auto-complete, it has to have some way of identifying it so that it knows what has been entered into it before. I don't know where that identity comes from, but if it's supplied by the web page, and doesn't for example depend on the page address, then it's possible that the subject fields in the old site have the same identities as the subject fields in this one (same forum software).

EDIT: it might even be as simple as the fields on both sites are called 'subject', but I doubt it.
Last edited by: Focus on Wed 3 Mar 10 at 08:57
 Auto-completion of "Subject:". - Focusless
>> EDIT: it might even be as simple as the fields on both sites are called
>> 'subject' but I doubt it.

Actually I think it might be as simple as this, although note that the field name doesn't come from what is displayed on the page.

If you view the page source (in my Firefox that's View/Page Source) and search for 'subject', you can see the source for the displayed text 'Subject:'. Shortly after that is 'name="subject"', and it's the 'name="X"' which (I think) identifies the field as X for auto-complete.
Latest Forum Posts