Computer Related > Outlook wrecked after Microsoft update 11 Jan 2017 Computing Issues
Thread Author: Stroudie Replies: 28

Outlook wrecked after Microsoft update 11 Jan 2017 - Stroudie
Since this update most of my saved email folders have been emptied, and it seems to be a problem others had after earlier updates.
Some report the inbox being emptied immediately.
I have a lot of saved emails which I did not want to lose, but MS have cleared the lot after this update.
I am furious-has anybody else found the same problem?
After searching the net nobody seems to have an answer to recover these messages, and MS help seem to be useless.
For the time being I am forwarding everything to gmail, although I don't like it's UI.
Gmail seems to be one of those things Google forces you to do-make a gmail account to use Google services.
Swearing everything filthy I can think of-silently-to avoid site's swear filter.
 Outlook wrecked after Microsoft update 11 Jan 2017 - smokie
Is this stand-alone Outlook (rather than Exchange) and what version? My folders are OK, touch wood, except my Sent Items was empty yesterday but I assumed that was me being heavy handed.

EDIT: I had been reviewing my Sent items and considering deleting it but didn't remember whether I'd actually done it. Seems like I did, that's my assumption...
Last edited by: smokie on Thu 12 Jan 17 at 21:33
 Outlook wrecked after Microsoft update 11 Jan 2017 - Roger.
I like Gmail!
Not the web interface, though, which I rarely use. I just use their free pop & smpt servers, to run Mozilla Thunderbird, leaving mail on the web-mail inbox as a sort of back-up.
I have been a Gmail user since it was by invitation only - remember invitations being traded on eBay? :-)
I've never liked Outlook, in any of its iterations, or Hotmail, or its successor- live isn't it?
Last edited by: Roger. on Thu 12 Jan 17 at 22:16
 Outlook wrecked after Microsoft update 11 Jan 2017 - VxFan
>> Is this stand-alone Outlook (rather than Exchange) and what version?

If it is the stand alone one, then mine went belly up earlier this evening, with a message prompting to close Outlook and restart it. As soon as I restarted it, everything was ok again with it.
I try and remember to do a backup every couple of weeks of the .pst and any other files in the outlook directory.

My version is Outlook 2007.
Last edited by: VxFan on Fri 13 Jan 17 at 01:35
 Outlook wrecked after Microsoft update 11 Jan 2017 - tyrednemotional
...as has been alluded to, there isn't really enough information to comment advisedly on.

As a minimum, it would be useful to know whether your problems are with Outlook as a local client on a PC, or with the online (webmail interface) Outlook.com.

If the former, then it would also be useful to know whether the mail problems are with a Microsoft "Hotmail" type account (hotmail. live. outlook. etc.)

Whilst it might not apply in this case:

There have been changes that potentially cause problems with the Outlook client on the PC after they've upgraded the central infrastructure in phases. These should not manifest themselves via the webmail interface, and are, in general, fixable at the Outlook client, but need intervention.

Microsoft circulated an email to all users, which wasn't particularly straightforward, on how to deal with the upgrade. If you interpret it properly it is fine, though it omits one final step (the default client re-synchronisation is only for the last 12 months, which might lead one to believe a large amount of history has been lost - it is easily remedied).

If the problem *is* with the client, it is always worthwhile logging on to Outlook.com with your "hotmail" email address and password, and seeing whether the full contents are still held on the server.
 Outlook wrecked after Microsoft update 11 Jan 2017 - Focal Point
I have a feeling this may not be relevant, but the recent W10 update has made no difference to my Hotmail (= Outlook.com) account content or settings, nor to Windows Office Outlook, nor to Windows Mail.
Last edited by: Focal Point on Thu 12 Jan 17 at 23:31
I don't really know what system I am using, being pretty amateurish, but as far as I know I am using webmail on a Windows 10 laptop which does updates of it's own accord.
I was using hotmail for years but was migrated to Outlook without having any control over it at some point recently.
It was working OK until yesterday, but on logging on again today I still cannot see anything in most folders.
Inbox is OK.
 Outlook wrecked after Microsoft update 11 Jan 2017 - BrianByPass
>> I don't really know what system I am using, being pretty amateurish, but as far
>> as I know I am using webmail
>>

Your "Outlook" will be one of these, unless there are other versions not listed!

From www.msoutlook.info/question/780

the “Outlook” brand stands for everything that focuses on email.

Outlook is the mail client application of the Microsoft Office suite.
Outlook.com is a free web based mail account (which used to be Hotmail).
Outlook Web App (aka OWA) is the web based mail client that is part of Microsoft Exchange Server which is also available for Live@EDU users and subscribers of Office 365 for Business and Exchange Online.

Then there are still some other mail clients within the Outlook brand:
Outlook Mobile for Windows Phone
Outlook for Mac
Outlook Mail for Windows 10
Outlook Calendar for Windows 10
Outlook RT for Surface RT and Surface 2
Outlook Express (only on Windows XP)
OWA for Android
OWA for iPhone
OWA for iPad
At 09.00 today I managed to do a System Restore to 9 Jan, after much fiddling about to find System Restore.
MS don't make it easy to find do they?
At about 10.30 I suddenly found that emails had reappeared in the folders reported as empty before, and, oddly, duplicate folders had disappeared.
Some time in the past two lists of folders appeared, one below the other on the left of the screen, and I have no idea how they arose in the first place.
I am now wondering if I should disable automatic updates, assuming I can find out how to do that.
 Outlook wrecked after Microsoft update 11 Jan 2017 - devonite
If you really want to disable win 10 updates it's not as easy as it used to be in earlier Windows versions! - This may be of help!

mspoweruser.com/turn-off-windows-update-windows-10/
 Outlook wrecked after Microsoft update 11 Jan 2017 - Stuartli
>>..after much fiddling about to find System Restore. MS don't make it easy to find do they?>>

Quickest way to do so is to type "Create a Restore Point" in the Search box (bottom left of screen), which brings up the System Protection panel.

For some reason or other Microsoft decided to have System Restore Disabled by default in Windows 10, so you need to ensure that Protection settings are ON, clicking Apply and then OK (as well as check regularly they have not been returned to the Default).

As you have restored your e-mails etc, it's a good idea to create a new System Restore Point from the panel.

Last edited by: Stuartli on Fri 13 Jan 17 at 14:06
Thank you for the help.
It seems that disabling updates is not a good idea.
Perhaps I should see what happens to emails after the next auto update, and if they disappear do another System Restore back a few days.
I have bookmarked the method of disabling updates
 Outlook wrecked after Microsoft update 11 Jan 2017 - No FM2R
Back up your emails.
>> At 09.00 today I managed to do a System Restore to 9 Jan, after much
>>
>> At about 10.30 I suddenly found that emails had reappeared in the folders reported as
>> empty before, and, oddly, duplicate folders had disappeared.
>> Some time in the past two lists of folders appeared, one below the other on
>> the left of the screen, and I have no idea how they arose in the
>> first place.
>>

I am baffled that a system restore can bring back deleted files on a web server. i.e. Outlook.com; assuming of course that you are indeed using webmail outlook.com and NOT the Office Outlook program.

>>I am baffled that a system restore can bring back deleted files on a web server. i.e. Outlook.com; assuming of course that you are indeed using webmail outlook.com and NOT the Office Outlook program.>>

Could be that it's the original configuration that has been restored.

I had a similar result when a November Windows 10 update completely screwed up my Internet connection and nothing that would normally restore it to the original worked.

However, it happened again after a day or two of use but, unfortunately for some reason or other, System Protection had been Disabled by default, so lost the System Restore point.

Microsoft did correct the upgrade in the December Windows 10 update but, as will be obvious, this was of no help to those who had already lost their Internet connection...:-(

In my case, a full Windows 10 Reset brought back the status quo as I've mentioned elsewhere.

>> Could be that it's the original configuration that has been restored.
>> etc. etc.

None of which explains to me how a system restore on a laptop repairs mail accessed/stored on a webmail server.
"Back up your emails."

That there's the answer.

I know these questions may be tricky but you really could do with knowing - who provides your mail service? Is it Outlook.com or your ISP? Is your mail POP3 or IMAP?

I would think (but don't mind being corrected) that you should be able to configure your mail to hold offline folders (if it doesn't already) then you can just copy these offline stores once in a while, or even set them up within your mail client and manage them that way.

I certainly wouldn't turn off Windows updates based on your one experience though I see you already reached that conclusion.

>>I certainly wouldn't turn off Windows updates based on your one experience though I see you already reached that conclusion.>>

You can, of course, deliberately delay the installation of Windows Updates by choosing a Restart time when your system is normally switched off, which allows a Google check to be made if anyone has had problems with any particular update.
Hello,I think I have a POP setup.
I am not using Office Outlook.
Trying to find backup methods on the net the layout of my email is different from the look of the screens shown on the advice.
There is no "File" choice on my setup.
For the moment I have set my Outlook up to export messages to two other mail systems, so I could have them effectively saved elsewhere, but that does not help with the older emails, unless I forward them one by one-a huge job.
Thank you again for the suggestions.
Which program do you open to access your email?

1) A broswer with an address beginning www.

2) a.n. other program on your computer?

A good solution could be to download something such as Thunderbird. Cause it to download all your emails locally, and then even if you never use it again, you have a copy.

If you can tell more about your current setup we will be able to lead you through getting safe.
Hello,I think I have a POP setup.
I am not using Office Outlook.
Trying to find backup methods on the net the layout of my email is different from the look of the screens shown on the advice.
There is no "File" choice on my setup.
For the moment I have set my Outlook up to export messages to two other mail systems, so I could have them effectively saved elsewhere, but that does not help with the older emails, unless I forward them one by one-a huge job.
Thank you again for the suggestions.
Have you tried clicking on the first of the e-mails you wish to Forward, holding the Shift key down and then clicking on the last e-mail?

If this occurs, you should be able to right click on the highlighted e-mails and then Forward them to where you wish them to be saved.
This may result in one huge email containing all the others as attachments. Depending on the content and quantity, it may be too large to be sent through your ISP (I think Virgin is 25Mb), so you may need to split them up.

I was thinking along the "backup the local offline mail file" method but I'm not sure where these are held for clients other than Outlook. There must be one though... if you have offline mail configured.. and I'd have thought you ought to be able to recover items from it.
>> If this occurs, you should be able to right click on the highlighted e-mails and
>> then Forward them to where you wish them to be saved.
>>

On outlook.com, afaik, you can forward only one email at a time.
>> Hello,I think I have a POP setup.
>> I am not using Office Outlook.
>>

You said earlier "I am using webmail"

I am confused. I did not know you could use POP setup on webmail.

In reply to smokie and brian-I am not sure what I mean by webmail!-all I can say is I started with a hotmail.com email address about 17 years ago using an XP PC.
Some time ago hotmail seems to have been subsumed into Microsoft, and hotmail was moved to Outlook, so I am not sure what webmail means, but my settings show up as a POP account.
The only choice I have in Settings for Outlook is to turn on offline access, but I am unsure about turning it on in case it fouls more stuff up.
As I got old email folders back with their contents, and the duplicate folders removed without me doing anything to delete them I am inclined to stay my hand pro tem, while it is working!
Perhaps I can come back again if probs arise.
The other gripe, common from my web searches, is the irritating notice bottom right which keeps coming up-"you need to fix your Microsoft account on other Devices..."
Nobody seems to be able to get rid of it.
Another "customer" service from MS-Do they give s*** about users?
>> In reply to smokie and brian-I am not sure what I mean by webmail!-all I
>> can say is I started with a hotmail.com email address about 17 years ago using
>> an XP PC.
>>
>>

Outlook.com Webmail - I define that as accessing a web page on your browser.

However, from what you are now saying it seems you are accessing your email account
Stoudie-whatever-your-name@outlook.com
by using some email program (may alternatively be referred to as a "mail app" or "email client") residing on your laptop.

You go to your computer which has only just started up.

You think to yourself; "I would like to read my email".

How do you do that?

Do you click on an icon on your desktop? If so, what is it called?
Do you start a program in the Start Menu? If so, what is it called?
Do you start a web browser? If so, what web address [URL] do you go to?

I *think* you are using a web browser and you are going to www.outlook.com. Is that the case?
I open Chrome and then Outlook which is saved as a bookmark.
Since the various suggestions the system seems to have settled down and all saved emails are back in their folders which were saying "Empty folder" when the problem started after the last Win 10 update.
Also the duplicate folders, which were a nuisance have disappeared, without any intervention from me.
Thank you for the suggestions.
Latest Forum Posts