Computer Related > Talk Talk YouView TV Box Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Pat Replies: 22

Talk Talk YouView TV Box - Pat
Well it did work fine linked to the router by two Poweline adaptors.

That is until the update we were forced to do the week before Christmas.

It hasn't worked since.

I have gone into maintenance mode and completely re-set it so many times, reset the PA's and completely disconnected everything and connected it up again.

It gets as far as searching and finding the channels then I get a screen where it says 'searching for router' and that's where it stops.....forever and ever.

The TV is a smart TV and if I log into the router it is talking to the TV and we can use it on the internet without a problem.

Any ideas please?

Pat
 Talk Talk YouView TV Box - Crankcase
Take the powerline things out of the equation by either using the Youview box directly wired to the router, if that's possible, or by using the powerlines to test some other bit of kit and see if that works?

As a start.

Will try connecting something else with them but I'm not sure how to do that so Ian will have to do it tomorrow.

They are only about 3 months old though and were expensive Netgear ones:(

Pat
Probably fine, but if they've got borked somehow, you'd probably get the symptom you describe. So just see.

My next thing, perhaps, would be thinking about blocked ports in the router after a reset, which is a trifle more techy.
Let's get Ian to test the Power Adapters first then we'll (I'll) have a look at that with your help:)

I'm happy logging into the router but wary of changing anything.

Talk Talk don't want to know because we don't use their router or power adaptors!

Pat
 Talk Talk YouView TV Box - Stuartli
>>Talk Talk don't want to know because we don't use their router or power adaptors!>>

Quite true and it's a policy TT has long clearly stated for all types of equipment not supplied by them.

TT routers etc come pre-configured for use with the ISP, but other manufacturers' models have to be set up by the user so many, many possibilities of things going wrong. That's not TT's fault, nor should it be expected to cure them....:-)
I certainly don't expect them to cure those problems.

What I do expect is for them to accept that our equipment is in good working order as confirmed by their engineer who came out last Friday and detected a line fault but declined to look at the TV box until the 'intermittent' line fault had been repaired by Openreach,

Apparently this has now been done TT confirm but they still insist it's a fault with our equipment.

Despite the fact that on the TT forums there are many others who lost all connection to the TV box when they tried to do the compulsory update, they still won't accept there is a problem.

Pat
I have to add that the TV box worked absolutely fine with our own equipment for six months before the update too!

Pat
 Talk Talk YouView TV Box - BrianByPass
>> I certainly don't expect them to cure those problems.
>>

Try this. Reset the youview box to original factory settings.
Keep it disconnected from router.
Start up and skip all prompts for connecting to a router.
See if the box works in non-connected mode as a Freeview box.

Then connect to router, preferably another spare router, and let the software update go through.

If your problem comes back, then clearly the software update is the source of the problem.

If you can't escalate to "Executuve Team" or whatever via chat or forum, then as a final resort, write email to CEO of TalkTalk. She is known to get her staff to find solutions to customer problems promptly.
www.uswitch.com/broadband/news/2015/04/talktalk_ceo_reads_awful_customer_complaint_emails/

Last edited by: BrianByPass on Fri 13 Jan 17 at 17:14
Now the plot thickens!

We plugged the lead from the Power Adaptors into my laptop this morning, turned the wiFi off, and it connected perfectly to the internet.

Took the lead out of the laptop and back into the YouView box........and it connected perfectly to the internet, did the update and appears to be working again.

For how long?

Pat
 Talk Talk YouView TV Box - devonite
Can you set a "restore point" on the box? ;-)
Perhaps you had a non obvious loose cable. What you did reseated it. Sorted.
Can't find a restore point but we only use it to watch Iplayer and ITV Hub anyway, we had nothing stored on there.

We assumed it must be a re-seated cable but both the aerial lead and the Ethernet cable have been out and in over a dozen times since it stopped working, so it seems odd that this time was any different.

Pat
Might be as simple as a dodgy Ethernet cable. Spent hours once diagnosing an intermittent fault that turned out to be a cable that had once got caught in the door and then reused....
 Talk Talk YouView TV Box - John Boy
Given that you've not been the only users with this problem, perhaps the update had a glitch which they've now corrected without admitting to it.
John Boy I think you have hit the nail on the head there.

At 17.30 last night we had a text from Talk Talk saying

'We completed some tests and believe your service should now be working. If it is OK reply FIXED.
If you need further support reply NOT FIXED'

Since I can't chose either of those options with any certainty, I shall ignore it just as they ignored the problem for the last four weeks.

Pat
 Talk Talk YouView TV Box - Clk Sec
I do miss that company, but not a lot...
Last edited by: Clk Sec on Mon 16 Jan 17 at 09:11
 Talk Talk YouView TV Box - BrianByPass
>> I do miss that company, but not a lot...
>>

Sorry to hear of your loss. Time to let go of your trauma, and move on. ;-)
>> John Boy I think you have hit the nail on the head there.

As I understand it, Pat, Microsoft often do that kind of thing. They correct faulty updates and admit to them, but you have to be a bit of a geek to find the admission and understand it.

I've learnt to wait a week or so before installing any of their updates, however urgent they appear to be. In the days of Windows ME one of their updates wiped out a lot of data on my PC and caused me a loads of aggravation. I assumed it was my fault, until I discovered accidentally that many other users had had the same problem.
>>They correct faulty updates and admit to them, but you have to be a bit of a geek to find the admission and understand it. >>

Hardly difficult. Microsoft has been publishing its Security Bulletins updates and explanations for many years..:-)

technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/security/dn610807.aspx
To me, those documents are a pretty good example of obfuscation.
 Talk Talk YouView TV Box - smokie
...yet to others, they are a pretty good example of openness and transparency.
>> To me, those documents are a pretty good example of obfuscation.>>

Which is exactly how I would consider your comments on the matter.
Latest Forum Posts