Computer Related > Ipad photos Miscellaneous
Thread Author: MD Replies: 16

Ipad photos - MD
Why are they so dark and grainy? Is it me?
 Ipad photos - Bromptonaut
Can you put up an example via a hosting site such as picassa or photbucket?
 Ipad photos - No FM2R
They are not good in low light conditions. They should be quite fine in bright light / sunlight.
 Ipad photos - CGNorwich
>> They are not good in low light conditions. They should be quite fine in bright
>> light / sunlight.
>>

Yes almost certainly the problem I would think. Not having a flash indoor pictures are always problematic. Turning on the room lights can help.
 Ipad photos - rtj70
>> Why are they so dark and grainy? Is it me?

Which iPad do you have.

But as Mark says, they aren't very good in low light conditions. The best camera modules on phones have improved a lot in darker conditions without needing a flash.

The grainy look can be thought of as the camera sensor changing to a higher ISO rating like you'd do for film geared for low light conditions. The ISO rating is used by digital cameras.

The problem with something like the iPad is the sensor itself is quite small and each pixel/sensor is tiny. The bigger the sensor the better the camera is.

Even a low end digital camera will have a bigger sensor than your iPad. The sensor on the iPhone model from when your iPad was made will certainly have been better.
 Ipad photos - movilogo
Darker the photo, poorer the quality in low end cameras (which includes ipad etc.)

The beauty of DSLR is in low light photography and wide angle lenses. This is why I still haul bulky DSLR during holidays.

Phone cameras now take very good quality photo in bright light condition though. Their sensors are just not big enough to allow enough light in dark condition.

Ipad photos - Stuartli
>>Phone cameras now take very good quality photo in bright light condition though. Their sensors are just not big enough to allow enough light in dark condition.>>

My HTC M8 and current HTC 10 take amazing photographs in virtual darkness and without using the flash.

An earlier HTC One X also had a cracking camera (8Mp) with remarkable detail - good enough in fact to stand in more often than not for a Nikon DSLR when wanting to travel light.
 Ipad photos - MD
I concur that my Iphone4s produces far better pictures than the iPad mini2
 Ipad photos - rtj70
I purchased a DSLR in 2009 because I wanted a camera with a big sensor in lower light conditions. Around a year later it was replaced by a micro 4/3rds camera which takes nearly as good photos but is smaller and lighter and did HD video.

I have mostly taken photos on phones since and the camera on the HTC One X was good. The HTC One M7 was very good in low light. And the Samsung Galaxy S6 is very very good too. So even with another camera with me I'll often still use the phone for convenience.

I wonder how good some high end compacts are now if the sensors in phones are so good. Admittedly many phones now use optical image stabilisation in the lens like DSLR like the one I have.
 Ipad photos - Bobby
Might be irrelevant to ipad but I have my iphone in one of the black wallet case type holders and find that the photos I take, especially if the flash is being used, are much poorer if the phone is kept in the holder.

Take it out and much clearer.
 Ipad photos - VxFan
Has the case got an open window for the camera lens and flash, or is there some kind of clear membrane in the way?

Both the case on my iPad & iPhone have nothing in the way of the camera or flash and any pictures taken are fine.
 Ipad photos - Bobby
Open hole
 Ipad photos - Stuartli
>> Open hole>>

Might not be correctly aligned or the iPad might move slightly when you hold the case.
 Ipad photos - MD
Open hole on pad. No movement.
 Ipad photos - VxFan
Sorry to state the obvious, but is the lens clean?
 Ipad photos - MD
Spotless dear boy, spotless.
 Ipad photos - Manatee
I have noticed that phone cases often result in flare when the flash is used, because the 'flash' is in the same cutout, the hole is not big enough, and the reflected light from the edges of the cutout hits the sensor window at an oblique angle. The effect is much reduced contrast and an uneven image.

Get a better case, or try colouring in the edges of the cutout with a black marker - I haven't tried that but it might work.

Phone pictures almost all look good when viewed on the phone, it's small. Some are properly good, amazingly good, considering. I have had very good pictures from a Nokia 1020, Sony Z5 Premium, and currently a Huawei P9, on which I am using the offical case that doesn't have this problem.

Latest Forum Posts