Computer Related > iPhone 6 woes Computing Issues
Thread Author: nice but dim Replies: 14

iPhone 6 woes - nice but dim
I hope of of you iExperts here can help.

First off I hate Apple products, over priced, overrated pieces of junk. Gimme an Android anyday.

Unfortunately, I have to deal with them for work.

We bought a user an iPhone 6 (£400) worth in late 2015, a plain vanilla 6 smallest screen model 32GB.

All good until a few months ago, when he said the battery wasn't lasting a day where it would before. I found out that, i think he upgraded to iOS 10 at some point.

I was unable to do anything as he was 200 miles away and he needs his phone to work. Bought him a powerbank so he could get a few extra hours but it didn't really help and still moaning.

Pressure from him lead to me getting him a new iPhone 7 recently (£600, still counting) to shut him up.

So I have the phone, now I can confirm what he meant. A wipe of the phone, no apps except my ActiveSync email on there and I got 5 hours yesterday - losing approx 20% per hour even with hardly any use and screen mostly off.

It doesn't charge or detect via USB with a genuine lightening cable although it does charge slowly using a poundland 5 in 1 cable, full charge takes 5 hours.

I've taken the email sync down from push to 15 minutes, disabled location and other background apps off and no difference.

At a loss now, I'm convinced its iOS10 but I'm not brave enough to attempt a unofficial downgrade.

Just to add to injury, it has a minor screen crack although not really affecting the view.

I've been quoted £100 by a recommended repair to do the screen and battery but will the new battery face the same issues - just throwing money away.

Sell on eBay? Chuck it in a cupboard and forget about it? No doubt the new iPhone will come back broken at some point - I despair.

Sorry for the rant!

iPhone 6 woes - Duncan
Why don't you take it into the Apple shop. see if you can make them your friends, not your enemy.

My 3 something year old iphone 5 I passed on to my granddaughter last year. it's still going fine. The only thing i find that really drains the battery is FaceTime.

I bought an iphone 6s last year. I find that in a normal days use the battery is down to about 90%.

You can make an appointment at an Apple shop to have a consultation with a person at the Genius Bar. Perhaps they can help you?

This may help. Just a bit of Googling. No thanks, or responsibility wanted, or accepted.
Last edited by: Duncan on Thu 2 Mar 17 at 13:56
I will speak to Apple but as far as I know, they only want to sell you a new iPhone.
 iPhone 6 woes - Duncan
Missed the edit

tinyurl.com/mpcqvgm
 iPhone 6 woes - Zero
Draw up and initiate a company support and purchasing policy, that includes a defined set of products, "to improve the end user support experience" and " benefit from industry leading purchasing leverage" and make sure the iPhone is not on it.

When he calls back you can then tell him his phone is not supported.
 iPhone 6 woes - Crankcase
uk.businessinsider.com/iphone-battery-life-randomly-switching-off-draining-fast-6s-shutdown-bugs-ios-10-1-2016-12?r=US&IR=T

And many others. Google is your friend.
>> uk.businessinsider.com/iphone-battery-life-randomly-switching-off-draining-fast-6s-shutdown-bugs-ios-10-1-2016-12?r=US&IR=T
>>
>>
>> And many others. Google is your friend.
>>

Thanks CC, appreciate that. And although is think something similar, this one isn't a an "S"
 iPhone 6 woes - VxFan
>> All good until a few months ago, when he said the battery wasn't lasting a
>> day where it would before. I found out that, i think he upgraded to iOS
>> 10 at some point.

What brightness have you got the screen set on?

Even with the auto setting, it occasionally changes itself to max brightness. Basically the brighter you make the screen, the shorter the battery life will be.

My iPhone SE is on iOS 10.2.1 and it still has 40 to 50% battery left at the end of the day.

My iPad Air is also on 10.2.1 but the other day the battery had drained in under 2 hrs. Then I remembered I was playing a game and one level required the brightness of the screen increasing to play a particular level to be able to see properly. I had forgotten to change it back again afterwards. Since changing it back the battery lasts all day again.

I tried the same thing with the iPhone afterwards and the battery life also dramatically reduced.
Brightness is set to just a shade under half with auto set on. I haven't set that since the reset.

The issue I have, it has been wiped and restored as new iPhone, no old apps, no accounts except the Active Sync email.

Its as close to Job Public would get when getting a new phone (although I appreciate it isn't new)

The battery isn't performing like a not even yet 18 month old battery. I wouldn't complain if it was falt after a full work day but half way through isn't good enough.

It lost 15% on the way to work, 45 minutes with the screen off.

Apple tech appt later today so they can look at it and tell me how many hundreds to fix or swap to new iPhone, not happening - company decision.

iPhone 6 woes - Bobby
How did you get on with this?
If phone bought new, especially from Apple, I am sure you get 2 year warranty do you not?
>> How did you get on with this?
>> If phone bought new, especially from Apple, I am sure you get 2 year warranty
>> do you not?
>>

1 year AFAIK, although 2 year EU law (I don't think that specifically applies to the UK) I read.

No progress, I missed an Apple store appt due to traffic and haven't re booked yet.

I don't think it is apps related C4P, I have wiped the phone clean, chose to setup as new iPhone and not linked an iCloud therefore I don't believe it to be a feature of the iPhone to run the battery down in 5-6 hours at idle.

I get an easy 48 hours out of my £100 Moto E3 and it gets used.

The issue started when an iOS software version updated.
Last edited by: nice but dim on Fri 17 Mar 17 at 09:15
 iPhone 6 woes - VxFan
>> If phone bought new, especially from Apple, I am sure you get 2 year warranty
>> do you not?

Friends Apple Watch is playing up. He thought it had a 2 yr warranty. Apple told him when he enquired that it was only 1 yr.

I bet like most things, the warranty doesn't include the battery though.
 iPhone 6 woes - MD
>> My iPhone SE is on iOS 10.2.1 and it still has 40 to 50% battery
>> left at the end of the day.
>>
How do you rate the SE Mr. VX?

Second question: Is it EXACTLY the same dimensions as the 5S?
 iPhone 6 woes - VxFan
>> How do you rate the SE Mr. VX?

Very happy with it, especially as I didn't want to go to a larger phone (phablet). Basically it's an iPhone6 in a smaller package - it has the same A9 chip. A bit like buying a high performance PC with a small screen. Ok, there are one or two features missing from the SE that are on the i6, eg no 3D touch or barometer. Neither which I was fussed about. I think the facetime camera has less megapixels too. Again, not bothered.

I've had my 64GB one a year now, and it's still very fast.

www.apple.com/uk/iphone/compare/

>> Second question: Is it EXACTLY the same dimensions as the 5S?

Yep, although the SE is 1 gram heavier ;)

5S - support.apple.com/kb/sp685?locale=en_GB

SE - www.apple.com/uk/iphone-se/specs/
Last edited by: VxFan on Fri 17 Mar 17 at 10:43
 iPhone 6 woes - car4play
Have you checked in the phone settings under battery - at the bottom it gives a list of the culprits that might be eating the battery?
Latest Forum Posts