Computer Related > Facebook problem Miscellaneous
Thread Author: bathtub tom Replies: 18

Facebook problem - bathtub tom
Anyone else having problems with Facebook?

Each time I access it (it's an open tab), everything goes into 'treacle' mode. This never used to happen.

Firefox, Windows 10 pro.
 Facebook problem - devonite
Mine was doing that yesterday! - tis ok today! - just your turn today ;-)
 Facebook problem - MD
twofacebook.
It was suggested there could be a script running, so I tried facebook again and eventually got :
warning unresponsive script

Went into task manager and found disk 100% and CPU 99% usage.

Google found me a YesScript add-on, but unfortunately the instructions bore little resemblance to the on-screen details. I eventually managed to get a script icon appear on screen and get facebook blacklisted, however when I open facebook now get the following message:
JavaScript Required
We're sorry, but Facebook doesn't work properly without JavaScript enabled. If you can't enable JavaScript, try visiting the mobile-optimized website.

Anyone suggest where I go from here?
 Facebook problem - RichardW
Try Chrome?
 Facebook problem - smokie
... or Microsoft Edge, just to see if it's the browser (it almost definitely is...)
Seems fine when opened in Edge.

How is it the browser, I can open lots of other stuff in Firefox without problems?
Dunno, stuff gets screwed up sometimes...

Try opening Firefox in Safe mode, to rule out add-ons.

Help -> Restart with Add-ons disabled

(Open Help Menu is the little question mark in a grey circle at the bottom of the panel which comes up when you click the three lines, where you get to settings)

EDIT maybe something like a FB cookie is jiggered
Last edited by: smokie on Thu 9 Mar 17 at 16:30
Done that and it seems to be much better. although I'd forgotten how annoying adverts are. I presume the adverts are now slowing it down as it's not quite as fast as I remember. Did I not mention I run Adblocker..........................

Thanks for leading me by the nose through the procedure, I expect it would have taken me some time to find it through Google. I suppose I should now remove my add-ons one at a time to see if it's one of them, or should I investigate cookies?
Add ons.
 Facebook problem - Stuartli
Try clearing the web cache regularly in Firefox: Tools>Options>Advanced (from left hand menu)>Clear Cached Web Content.
That's all very well in a Good Housekeeping way but the problem seems to be related to add ons, not the cache, doesn't it?
Looks like it may have been caused by Adblock plus. I've removed that and replaced it with uBlock Origin.

I'll see how it goes and report back after a few days, when it's had a chance to prove itself.

Many thanks for the help and advice.
 Facebook problem - Roger.
If you haven't already, may I suggest you give(Fluff Busting) Facebook Purity a go as an add-on?
You can configure quite granular control over what appears on, and how it is shown on Facebook.
It's free, but the author solicits a small donation.
 Facebook problem - Stuartli
I still find that Facebook and other websites are much quicker if you clear the Firefox/Waterfox cache regularly...:-)
I spoke too soon, after working OK for a couple of days, I've just got the 'script error' message and the PC locked up. I eventually got it to open task manager after about half-an-hour and close firefox (nothing else would respond).
I now access facebook with edge, but yesterday I got the 'script error' message again while using firefox.
I did a scan of my PC last night and it found PupInstallCore/Variant. A google of it throws up inconsistencies as to whether or not it should be removed. Anyone here offer advice?
 Facebook problem - Manatee
Get rid, if it causes a problem with anything else just reinstall the anything else.

Have you tried malwarebytes, does it identify it?
>>Have you tried malwarebytes, does it identify it?

I'd removed the PUP before running malwarebytes, it returned "threats detected 0".
Latest Forum Posts