Computer Related > VMware mouse (mis-)behaviour Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Focusless Replies: 6

VMware mouse (mis-)behaviour - Focusless
Although I still use linux for work, it's now running under XP/VMware instead of native. It has advantages - being able to use 2 displays for example - but there's one thing that drives me mad.

Typically I have the linux desktop running full screen on the external monitor, with the XP desktop on the laptop display. I'll be doing stuff in linux, then move the mouse cursor back to the laptop to use (say) Outlook. But when I click on the minimised Outlook item on the taskbar at the bottom of the XP desktop, the mouse just jumps back to linux on the monitor (and Outlook remains minimised in XP). I've seen this happen 3 times in a row.

It doesn't always do this - if it was predictable it wouldn't be so bad, but I haven't worked out a pattern yet, if there is one.

Any VMware users out there?

F
 VMware mouse (mis-)behaviour - rtj70
I assume you've got the VMWARE Tools installed on the Linux system? Which version of VMWARE is it?

I only regularly use VMWARE (Fusion) on a Mac these days and use one display so unfortunately I cannot replicate your problem. I need to upgrade VMWARE on my work laptop since I went to Windows 7.
>> I assume you've got the VMWARE Tools installed on the Linux system?

err... I'll check. What difference does it make?

>> Which version of VMWARE is it?

It upgraded itself from 3.1.0 to 3.1.1 (the latest AFAIK) yesterday, but it doesn't appear to have altered the mouse behaviour.
Right - read up on VMware tools and did the 'Update VMware Tools...' option from the menu. Will have to wait till Monday when I'm in the office with an external monitor to see if it helps. Thanks.
Latest version of VMWARE Workstation for Windows and Linux is 7.1.1 isn't it? So is this VMWARE server??
>> So is this VMWARE server??

VMware Player.
Last edited by: Focus on Sun 15 Aug 10 at 09:58
Skin flint bosses then ;-) One thing the VM tools do when using a VMWARE session on the same screen is allow the mouse to move from one window to the other. So you probably have these already.
Latest Forum Posts