Computer Related > iMessenger to other users Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Rudedog Replies: 36

iMessenger to other users - Rudedog
Quick question..

My wife has an iPhone, if she sends a picture message via iMessenger to another iPhone it's free (so she has been told) but what happens if she sends it to a regular text service?

I'm guessing iMessenger is sort of the same as Whatsapp in that video and pictures are sent between each other without charge.
 iMessenger to other users - Zero
Imessenger and whatsapp are data to data services, so come out of your data allowance. if its sent via a txt service it will be an MMS and chargeable on most plans. .
Last edited by: VxFan on Thu 9 Nov 17 at 02:01
OK.. but if I send a picture with iMeseenger to you not knowing what phone you have how will I know if I'm going to be charged?

I guess the only way to guarantee is to make sure both phones use the same service i.e imessenger or whatsapp?
Im not even sure you can imessage or whatsapp a picture someone who does not have an imessage or whatsapp.
 iMessenger to other users - Stuartli
Both have to have the Messenger or WhatsApp (both owned by Facebook) apps installed as appropriate, but using wi-fi in both cases means that phone, video or normal text messages are free, no matter where the users are in the world.
 iMessenger to other users - rtj70
Someone who uses an iPhone or iPad can correct me....

The app on these iOS devices for messaging is called Messenger. If you send a message to another Messenger user (Text/SMS or Picture) it is considered to be an iMessage and goes via WiFi/mobile data.

If you send a text/SMS or picture that is not going to another device running Messenger, then it goes as SMS or MMS as appropriate. Therefore it can cost.

The message bubble in Messenger is blue for iMessage and green for SMS/MMS.
Maybe it's worth making sure Messenger app is only trying to send iMessages to email addresses instead of phone numbers. The latter gives the iOS device the option to use SMS/MMS.

And again the app is Messenger - the thread title is wrong :-)
 iMessenger to other users - VxFan
>> And again the app is Messenger - the thread title is wrong :-)

iMessages are sent through the standard message feature that all phones have as standard. iPhone decides whether it's going to be a standard SMS or iMessage by the phone number it's being sent to.

As you've already mentioned, the colouring is blue for an iMessage, or green for a standard SMS.
There is also another clue in the message box itself. If you're sending a message to another iPhone user, a light grey "iMessage" wording shows, but if it's to someone without an iPhone, or they have the iMessaging feature disabled, the words "Text Message" appear instead.
Last edited by: VxFan on Thu 9 Nov 17 at 02:10
Thanks for filling in some details. Of course an iMessage via Apple Messenger application can be sent to/from a Mac too.
>> an iMessage via Apple Messenger application can be sent to/from a Mac too.

As well as iPad, iPod Touch and Watch.
Last edited by: VxFan on Thu 9 Nov 17 at 10:17
Messenger is Facebook's offering for messages, photo or video files and phone or video calls - it works seamlessly for both Android and iPhone users.
Last edited by: Stuartli on Thu 9 Nov 17 at 00:43
 iMessenger to other users - Hard Cheese
So how does iMessenger know what phone the recipient has by the number alone? Even if they had had an iPhone they could have changed their phone.
>> So how does iMessenger know what phone the recipient has by the number alone? Even if they
>> had had an iPhone they could have changed their phone.

Presumably because they are currently logged in to Apple's servers.
>> >> So how does iMessenger know what phone the recipient has by the number alone?
>> Even if they
>> >> had had an iPhone they could have changed their phone.
>>
>> Presumably because they are currently logged in to Apple's servers.
>>

But if you take your, say, Vodafone nano SIM out of your Android phone and put it in an iPhone you are not automatically logged into Apple's servers, are you?
Last edited by: Hard Cheese on Thu 9 Nov 17 at 11:32
 iMessenger to other users - smokie
Guess he means logged in, like wen you are on Android you'd usually be logged into your Google account for the best experience.
 iMessenger to other users - No FM2R
>>So how does iMessenger know what phone the recipient has by the number alone?

I don't know, but I'm guessing iTunes has a hand in that.
>> So how does iMessenger know what phone the recipient has by the number alone? Even
>> if they had had an iPhone they could have changed their phone.

The message app registers your mobile number in an Apple database. When you go to contact someone, it looks up whether that person is in the iMessage system, and knows to send via iMessage.
As it only works between Apple communication devices, the system knows whether the receiving device is or isn't an iPhone.

edit - more here

electronics.howstuffworks.com/how-does-my-iphone-know-when-person-texting-is-typing.htm
Last edited by: VxFan on Thu 9 Nov 17 at 12:55
>> The message app registers your mobile number in an Apple database. When you go to
>> contact someone, it looks up whether that person is in the iMessage system, and knows
>> to send via iMessage. >>

OK, so what if you had an iPhone and have have changed phone?
IMEI number can be and is read by remote applications.
>> OK, so what if you had an iPhone and have have changed phone?

I already mentioned it,

"As it only works between Apple communication devices, the system knows whether the receiving device is or isn't an iPhone"

And obviously vice versa.

The message App is exclusive to Apple devices, so you won't have the message App on a non Apple device.
Last edited by: VxFan on Thu 9 Nov 17 at 14:03
>> >> OK, so what if you had an iPhone and have have changed phone?
>>
>> I already mentioned it,
>>
>> "As it only works between Apple communication devices, the system knows whether the receiving device
>> is or isn't an iPhone"
>>

Thougjh how if the SIM has been swapped? How does Apple know that it's no longer in an iPhone rather than simply switched of or out of signal?
If the iPhone (or whatever Apple device you're logging into Apple servers with your Apple ID) is not connected to the servers, then the messenger service knows you are offline. If you take the SIM out, the iPhone will still be able to receive iMessages sent to your user using WiFi or another data SIM.

Not sure what would happen if you swapped the SIM in an iPhone and someone tries sending an iMessage using your old phone number instead of email address.
>> Not sure what would happen if you swapped the SIM in an iPhone and someone
>> tries sending an iMessage using your old phone number instead of email address.

Not possible as in the settings you select what number (or numbers, and even an email address) to send and receive from for iMessage. If the SIM isn't in the phone then it won't be in the settings list anymore, and if another SIM is inserted you have to select that number in the settings.

>> Thougjh how if the SIM has been swapped? How does Apple know that it's no
>> longer in an iPhone rather than simply switched of or out of signal?

Just accept that it knows.
>> >> Thougjh how if the SIM has been swapped? How does Apple know that it's
>> no longer in an iPhone rather than simply switched of or out of signal?
>>
>> Just accept that it knows.
>>

Nope, it's not fool proof, SMS and MMS are the only sure fire way of communicating cross platform.
>> Nope, it's not fool proof

And you know this because?
>> And you know this because?
>>

I don't believe that a iPhone user can message any mobile number and fully rely on the phone to sort out whether to send an iMessage or SMS and be 100% sure of it getting through.
Well sorry to pee on your cornflakes, but the system works flawlessly.

Having had an iPhone since 2011, it's not made a mistake yet. It'll either send an iMessage, or an SMS. And my SIM card has been in other phones in that space of time too. Android and non smart phones.

The iMessage facility only works between Apple products. Therefore if your SIM is in an Android or crappy basic handset it won't send an iMessage, neither will those non Apple phones receive an iMessage either. Regardless your phone number previously being on Apple's database, if the SIM is not in an Apple device, it won't send (or receive) an iMessage.
if your phone does not have Apple iMessage app, and is not logged onto the apple server with your Apple ID, it will not get an iMessage but a txt instead.

Whats so difficult about that concept?

>> Messenger is Facebook's offering for messages, photo or video files and phone or video calls
>> - it works seamlessly for both Android and iPhone users.

Only if you are messaging another Facebook user.

At the end of the day, the only universal messaging mobile to mobile that anyone can receive is SMS, and MMS.
Last edited by: Zero on Thu 9 Nov 17 at 07:56
>>Only if you are messaging another Facebook user.>>

Sorry, incorrect.

lifehacker.com/you-can-now-use-facebook-messenger-without-a-facebook-a-1713715943
Nope, not wrong.

You can't send me a Facebook messenger message, unless I have installed the Facebook messenger app and applied for a Facebook messenger id and signed in.
Last edited by: Zero on Thu 9 Nov 17 at 12:17
>>Nope, not wrong.>>

I think you'll find, if you look back through the thread, that I stated that both parties do have to have Messenger and/or WhatsApp installed...:-)
>>At the end of the day, the only universal messaging mobile to mobile that anyone everyone can receive is SMS, and MMS.
I ask because my wife sent me a animated picture from her iPhone using imessenger , I received it although I have a blackberry and viewed the moving picture.

Has she paid for that message to me?

I noticed in the play store you can download imessenger, would you have to have an Apple account to use it then?
>> Has she paid for that message to me?

Probably has bee charged.

>> I noticed in the play store you can download imessenger

Apple does not have a messenger app for Android. Anyone could write an app and call it iMessenger but that doesn't mean it's going to work with Apple's closed messaging service.

Here are the three apps that Apple Inc have for Android:

play.google.com/store/apps/developer?id=Apple+Inc.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Thu 9 Nov 17 at 13:23

>> Has she paid for that message to me?

yes

>> I noticed in the play store you can download imessenger, would you have to have
>> an Apple account to use it then?

Yes because its only available on the Apple Store, for which you need an Apple ID to get, with also becomes your user id on the service.
Latest Forum Posts