Computer Related > Printers Computing Issues
Thread Author: Zero Replies: 20

Printers - Zero
Recently replaced the battery on, and updated software on my old MacBook Air, and donated it to Mrs Z.

Yesterday she asks, "Can you put the printer on it please" "Sure says I, piece of cakes says I"

GRRRRRR Distressed, angry and annoyed that my trusty Canon MP499 is now out of support on OSX 10.13.6 High Sierra. Canon wont supply drivers, and the inbuilt network print drivers in the OS wont find it.
Checking my own newer MacBook Air find that it managed to migrate a working print driver over from its previous levels, but now its on High Sierra the scanner wont.

So time for a new printer. Canon is out, will never cross their doors again for being such idiots - Looks like an HP I guess.

Anyone bought a newish HP? Need a lowish volume 3 in one, good photo print quality, and I think I'll upgrade to duplex print.
Last edited by: VxFan on Thu 5 Sep 19 at 10:03
 Printers - rtj70
And then when you upgrade to the next version of OSX the new HP printer will not be supported. Apple is good at this - lots of experience doing this.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Wed 12 Sep 18 at 15:18
 Printers - Zero
Thinking of the HP ENVY Photo 7134

Anyone any experience?
 Printers - No FM2R
No experience at all, probably very good. But how much do you print?

www.johnlewis.com/hp-303-xl-black-original-ink-cartridge/p3376100
www.johnlewis.com/hp-303-xl-tri-colour-ink-cartridge/p3376103
Last edited by: No FM2R on Wed 12 Sep 18 at 15:37
 Printers - Zero
The 303 colour and black twin packs are about 32 quid on Amazon, similar price to my existing canon ones, with similar yield.

Edit, and the HP auto ink subscription seems good value
Last edited by: Zero on Wed 12 Sep 18 at 15:45
 Printers - No FM2R
Don't know why I didn't think to look on Amazon.

Out of nosy interest though, what do you print that needs colour?

I do own a printer, it's cheap Samsung B&W printer. Even then I doubt it does 10 sheets a year.
Last edited by: VxFan on Thu 5 Sep 19 at 10:03
 Printers - Zero
>> Don't know why I didn't think to look on Amazon.
>>
>> Out of nosy interest though, what do you print that needs colour?

The odd photo, mostly black and white text, but lately, because I am in the process of becoming an obedience show judge, coloured ring diagrams. Based on my paper buying record, probably 4 reams a year
Last edited by: Zero on Wed 12 Sep 18 at 17:07
 Printers - Roger.
Look at HP Instant Ink subscription service if you do go H. P. I pay £1.99 a month for plenty enough pages for my use.
I have just had the first a-ordered colour cartridge after 17 months of use. I kow that's £34, but I would reckon to have bought "normal", genuine HP, colour cartridges twice in that period.
 Printers - Zero
>> Don't know why I didn't think to look on Amazon.

You are very much like my wife*, Her first port of call for anything non food shopping is the JLP website.

*But much prettier and with hair. Just as spikey as you tho.
 Printers - Duncan
I have been told that I am like your wife, too.

I took it as a compliment. That was about printers....

The Epson is still going fine, thank you for asking.

www.car4play.com/forum/post/index.htm?t=10356&m=231318&v=e

Printers - sooty123
been saving that one up for a while?
Last edited by: VxFan on Thu 13 Sep 18 at 01:46
 Printers - Zero
A rather smart white HP Envy photo 7134 has appeared on my desk, with 5 months free ink on the moderate plan, and a 32 quid bonus paid into my ink account, will see me through to next spring, all for less than 90 quid. It takes up considerably less real estate than the old Canon hulk.

Installation was relatively easy but nothing like it should have been.

Three different unpacking setup instruction hard formats, a sheet of paper, a piece of card, and the back of the instruction book, none of which tell you you need to or explain how to put the cartridge(s) in.

So I play dumb and I dont.

manually find all the tape tabs and bits of card to pull out, and power it up. it calibrates, whines about no cartridges - so I stuff em in by trial and error, whines it has no paper, so i stuff it in by trial and error, then the printer screen says "download this app and it will set it up"

so i do

and it wont

It cant see the printer, course it cant it not been connected to the network, so it says "do it manually"

I knew that was coming, and you have to ignore about 5 screens imploring you to use the app before it grudgingly allows you to connect it to the network manually

However, once connected, using the macs was a joy. Its airprint compatible, so on the macs just search for printer and bingo finds them, loads apps and drivers and off we go.

Printers - rtj70
But will it work with MacOS Mojave?
 Printers - Zero
no idea, have no intention of going there
 Printers - No FM2R
>>A rather smart white HP Envy photo 7134 has appeared on my desk, with 5 months free ink on the moderate plan, and a 32 quid bonus paid into my ink account, will see me through to next spring, all for less than 90 quid

That sounds like a stunningly good deal. How do the second year ink costs look?
 Printers - Zero
Ok, checking my ink account, now its all set up.

I have 300 pages a month free, for the next 5 months, billing cycle starts 13th feb 2019. I have a bonus 32 quid in in my ink account, and have signed up for the £3.49 100 page month plan, so in effect that takes me to near enough end 2019 before i start paying for ink.

Last edited by: Zero on Thu 13 Sep 18 at 17:57
 Printers - No FM2R
Wow!

You have to wonder where the profit is for them. Unless they are making a printer for peanuts that they think will last for years.

Well done you.

I assume the print quality is good?
 Printers - Zero
Print quality is ace, and the real selling point of the ink scheme is its page based, NOT ink use based. So if you do a lot of photos, its a steal.

Its much cheaper if you do a lot of black and white and get your black carts in bulk, or even non hp or refilled ones.

Its stingingly expensive if you go over your limit, in the month - 10p a page

For HP the advantage is they keep you on genuine HP ink, with no retailer cut, they get a good handle on volume of product to make and ship, and there is a regular planned monthly revenue stream.

Edit, Oh and the third party ink market is jumping up and down whining and trying to discredit it.
Last edited by: Zero on Thu 13 Sep 18 at 18:28
 Printers - No FM2R
>>Its stingingly expensive if you go over your limit, in the month - 10p a page

I gather they monitor your usage, so there's no way around it?

I don't do any quality printing. Just cheap black and white and then only occasionally for notes, so it wouldn't work for me.

I shall have a word with the daughters though, assuming that such a deal is actually available here. It might be useful for them.
Last edited by: VxFan on Thu 5 Sep 19 at 10:04
 Printers - Zero
>> >>Its stingingly expensive if you go over your limit, in the month - 10p a
>> page
>>
>> I gather they monitor your usage, so there's no way around it?

Yeah I could disable the internet socket for the printer in the router, and slip in a purchased cheap cart, then if I want to go back to the instant ink cart, do a factory reset of the printer and hope the cart id/ usage counters get reset to zero, and open the internet socket
 Printers - nice but dim
Brother every time for me, not sub £100 but original replacement inks are reasonable and currently running a £50 cashback or 3 year warranty upgrade FOC.

www.ebuyer.com/771932-brother-mfc-j5330dw-all-in-one-wireless-inkjet-printer-mfcj5330dwzu1

The one I have scans direct to email and cloud storage and helps on the odd day I work from home. I purchase these for work for construction site use and they hold up well both physically and connectivity wise.

For light occasional use, probably a cheap Canon or HP.
Latest Forum Posts