Computer Related > iPhone Passcode Computing Issues
Thread Author: Duncan Replies: 38

iPhone Passcode - Duncan
In 2013 I bought an iPhone 5, used it for a number of years and then passed it on to a member of the family. It has now come back to me having lain in a drawer for some time.

Thing is, nobody knows the passcode! After several attempts, trying different numbers, I still can't unlock it.

What is the answer? Take it to an Apple store? Will they unlock it? If so what proofs of ownership will they want?
 iPhone Passcode - Zero
A 6 year old iphone is not worth resurrecting, it will run like poo when its updated.
 iPhone Passcode - Duncan
I was looking for a solution to my problem. Not a debate as to whether my problem was worth solving.

It's easy to tell that you are feeling better. Can't you take the dog for a walk, or go and look at something steam powered?
Last edited by: Duncan on Sat 13 Apr 19 at 10:33
 iPhone Passcode - Runfer D'Hills
On the contrary, when my iPhone 6 was playing up ( it needed a new battery ) I switched back to my old 5s for a while until I got around to getting the 6 fixed.

It worked perfectly well other than that it didn't have the ability to make wifi calls which I find useful.

Take it to a "Dodgy Dave's" type mobile phone shop Duncan, these guys are very good at that sort of thing.
 iPhone Passcode - R.P.
It;ll be fine. Try connecting it to the original computer and restoring it. Other option that may work if you have find my phone activated on it (maybe the previous owner had it set) "find" it on that connect it to a wifi and then wipe it.
 iPhone Passcode - Zero
>> I was looking for a solution to my problem. Not a debate as to whether
>> my problem was worth solving.

You dont have problem. Its a phone you disposed of because clearly you had no need for it, its been redundant in a drawer for a while. Clearly you dont need it now, so you are looking for a solution to a non problem.

iPhone Passcode - VxFan
>> You dont have problem. Its a phone you disposed of because clearly you had no
>> need for it,

Nothing wrong in having a spare phone, even if it's an older model. If nothing else, hide it in the car somewhere, wire it up so it periodically gets recharged, and use it as a tracking device.
 iPhone Passcode - Duncan
>> You dont have problem. Its a phone you disposed of because clearly you had no
>> need for it, its been redundant in a drawer for a while. Clearly you dont
>> need it now, so you are looking for a solution to a non problem.

Tain't for me.

I am, believe it or not, trying to wean 'er indoors off a ten(?) year old Nokia. She is forever complaining about the difficulty of texting on her old phone. If I can start her on, even an old, smartphone, it will be progress.
 iPhone Passcode - Zero
>> I am, believe it or not, trying to wean 'er indoors off a ten(?) year
>> old Nokia. She is forever complaining about the difficulty of texting on her old phone.
>> If I can start her on, even an old, smartphone, it will be progress.

Both of you should be on Doros by now
Last edited by: VxFan on Sun 14 Apr 19 at 20:08
 iPhone Passcode - No FM2R
I know nothing about iPhones, I'm afraid, but this bloke seems to and specifically discusses the iPhone 5

So, FWIW...

everymac.com/systems/apple/iphone/iphone-troubleshooting-repair-faq/iphone-how-to-unlock-open-forgot-code-passcode-password-login.html
 iPhone Passcode - Crankcase
Annoyingly, I have an unusable virtually brand new iPhone 6 sitting in a drawer. Similarly to Duncan's it's basically locked. Mine however, isn't a passcode problem, it's a password problem.

It belonged to an ex-colleague who created and logged in with an Apple ID and password. After about six weeks of having the phone, he left. He "didn't remember" the credentials, and refused to enter into correspondence about it at all after leaving.

So no amount of restoring or resetting or connecting to iTunes will help. It just says it needs to be re-activated with Apples servers using the missing credentials. We tried Apple themselves, with no result.

It was literally going in the bin, but I took it when I retired in case there was anything doable. I've not got anywhere with it at all. There are various online places that "promise" to sort this for a fee, and lots of reviews saying they can't, so don't waste your money.

Seems a shame to chuck it. It looks brand new and hardly touched but there we are.
 iPhone Passcode - smokie
It might raise a few bob on eBay, of you can be bothered. (Just be sure that it's not reported as stolen first!)
 iPhone Passcode - Duncan
Update.

Had the debate with myself as to whether to go in to the nearest Apple store, or what. Decided to look online (again!) and that told me of the various ways to contact Apple. Made a phone call to Apple, man in Cork, after explaining the situation to him, told me he had sent an email and to follow the directions therein.

support.apple.com/en-gb/HT204306

I had this page up a day or so back, but must have come out of it before the procedure was complete. The phone is now operational - I think - I need to get a nano SIM for it, as the SIM in the Nokia is the old, full size type.

So, 80% there?

Thanks to everyone for helpful suggestions. I can see the finish line now. All done legally, and free of charge.
 iPhone Passcode - Fullchat
I recall going through this process some time ago and think that there was some issue when it came to the Apple ID part of the set up. It maybe that a new SIM and number may help.

If you think about it, if it was possible every scrote who nicked/robbed/found an I phone would easily be able to render it useable again.

Good luck.
Last edited by: Fullchat on Sun 14 Apr 19 at 10:51
 iPhone Passcode - Fullchat
Remember now, vaguely. One of daughters bought a second hand phone off you know where. It was supposedly unlocked but wasn't. I did have some co-operation fro the seller and got there in the end. I was trying to unlock the phone and had some difficulty. It was the Apple ID that was the stumbling block.
 iPhone Passcode - Zero

>> Thanks to everyone for helpful suggestions. I can see the finish line now.

You seriously think getting your missus from an ole dumb nokia to an iphone is the finish line?

Belive me son, your pain starts there
My Mrs had an old dumb Nokia. It failed, and I passed on a iPhone to her. She absolutely hated it. Way too much stuff for her, miserable battery life in comparison, etc.

I then bought her a fifteen quid including ten quid credit new Nokia dumb phone again, and she's as happy as Larry with it. Make a rare call, send three texts a year, battery life of two weeks, couldn't be better for her.

iPhone Passcode - smokie
But how on earth does she do banking, go shopping, manage the lighting and heating at home, watch funny car videos and play Candy Crush Saga?
I do all that instead. I've been playing Candy Crush on and off since it launched, and still only on level 721.
 iPhone Passcode - Zero
I have never ever played "candy crush" in any of its formats.
I don't even know what it is. Should I bother to find out?
I just Google'd it. Each to their own, I guess.
>> I just Google'd it. Each to their own, I guess.

As a business model...

It tells you how many games are being played a month from time to time. Last week it was apparently eight billion.

It's pretty popular.
 iPhone Passcode - R.P.
S**8 films on Vietnam Airlines . A 13 hour flight focuses the mind. I started playing be-jewelled on in flight entertainment screen. Nearly drove me bonkers. Too tired to read, too awake to sleep..
 iPhone Passcode - Kevin
I've won "Who wants to be a Millionaire" dozens of times on Emirates. Still waiting for the cheques to arrive.
I have two concessions to mindless entertainment on my phone; 2048 and Killer Sudoku.

The likes of Candy Crush are a step too far for me.
 iPhone Passcode - smokie
Just for clarity, my original post on the subject was meant to be a bit t-i-c!! And also it was supposed to say cat videos, not car videos... :-)
 iPhone Passcode - VxFan
>> Still waiting for the cheques to arrive.

Tried phoning a friend?
 iPhone Passcode - Duncan
I still play Tetrus (Tetris?) from time to time.
 iPhone Passcode - VxFan
Anyone remember Nokia's snake?

playsnake.org/
 iPhone Passcode - Bromptonaut
>> Anyone remember Nokia's snake?

Was thinking about that following earlier posts. Used to play it on the train occasionally if I'd got bored of the Evening Standard.
The Nokia snake game must be pretty venerable. I think my first exposure to it was the Intellivision version, called Snafu. That came out in 1981 but I bet it was on Spectrums and TRS-80s and Commodore Pets a few years earlier. Wonder how far back it goes. Sixties kit maybe?

Last edited by: Crankcase on Mon 15 Apr 19 at 15:41
 iPhone Passcode - Zero
>> The Nokia snake game must be pretty venerable. I think my first exposure to it
>> was the Intellivision version, called Snafu. That came out in 1981 but I bet it
>> was on Spectrums and TRS-80s and Commodore Pets a few years earlier. Wonder how far
>> back it goes. Sixties kit maybe?

1976 arcade video game by Gremlin (later to become Sega and then Bally) Toss up if that or bricks was the follow on game from pong
Last edited by: Zero on Mon 15 Apr 19 at 15:57
That's what Wikipedia says, but I kind of hoped one of you old computer veterans would say you'd seen something similar years before that when you were playing "Spacewar!".

And perhaps you'd played "Shoot the President" on a PDP-8, but then I remembered you wouldn't have done because I wrote that, and I half think I still have the paper tape in the loft somewhere, if the mice haven't had it.

Along with a film that's up there too, which I made when I was supposed to be fan-annying about in the RAF cadets, but found that if I said I'd make a film about their activities instead, I'd not have to do all that tedious parade ground marching about and shooting at stuff, which suited me fine. Not sure anyone has ever seen that either.

One day I'll have a clear out.

It's just possible there may be some thread drift here, sorry chaps.

iPhone Passcode - CGNorwich
Perhaps it’s time for the release of “Shoot the President” Could be big in California.
 iPhone Passcode - sherlock47
I would be wary of suggesting that in these days on online surveillance. is this site hosted in the USA? The keywords may already have been picked up.

If you go quiet for a time we will assume that you have made a run for the spare room at The Ecudorian Embassy.
Last edited by: sherlock47 on Mon 15 Apr 19 at 19:25
 iPhone Passcode - tyrednemotional
>> If you go quiet for a time we will assume that you have made a
>> run for the spare room at The Ecudorian Embassy.
>>

....where you will have all the time in the world, and nothing to do but play mobile games.....

(and I do hope they've cleaned the walls)
>> If you go quiet for a time we will

all be very grateful?

Edit: Sorry CG, thought it was aimed at me...
Last edited by: Crankcase on Mon 15 Apr 19 at 19:36
 iPhone Passcode - Zero

>> If you go quiet for a time we will assume that you have made a
>> run for the spare room at The Ecudorian Embassy.

By all accounts I'd wait till they sluice it out first. Hope you like cats.
Latest Forum Posts