Computer Related > IPads Computing Issues
Thread Author: maltrap Replies: 8

IPads - maltrap
I currently have an IPad Air 16gb.
I find this an excellent Tablet, perfect for my needs.
My only concern is how long will it be supported by Apple.
I believe the original IPads are no longer supported & pretty useless.
Any advice would be much appreciated.
 IPads - Falkirk Bairn
IOS 13 due soon

Lifted from the Verifier

As for iPads, The Verifier believes Apple will drop support for the iPad mini 2, iPad mini 3, iPad Air, iPad Air 2, and possibly the iPad mini 4. The sixth-generation iPod touch is listed as a device that will also be incompatible with iOS 13.
 IPads - smokie
Oh, that'd be annoying as SWMBO has an Air that she uses quite a bit but only for leisure stuff - nothing critical. Would it no longer be usable, or will it be OK but just not up to date, like Windows 7?
 IPads - VxFan
>> Would it no longer be usable,

I still have an old iPhone 4 running iOS 7 that I use as a spare phone occasionally. It's slow and a bit clunky, but is still functional. The only 'vulnerability' is that it no longer receives security updates. As I don't use it for online banking, etc then there shouldn't be an issue.

I can't see that an iPad air will stop dead when Apple stop supporting the iOS software. You'll still get some use out of it for a while yet.
 IPads - Duncan
I have an iPad 4 (A1458 wi-fi) which has not been getting updates for some time. It still works fine for emails, Facetime, Googling etc.

The only difference is that it doesn't get the software and security updates - as I understand it?

I tell you what, I am a nice bloke, I will give you a fiver for it and take a chance. Done?
Last edited by: Duncan on Mon 1 Jul 19 at 13:48
 IPads - smokie
:-) I don't think so!!

Sounds fine though...
 IPads - Zero
If you have an older apple device, just stop updating it. It will still work fine, and apple will lose the ability to deliberately cripple it.
 IPads - No FM2R
I thought they'd promised to stop doing that?
 IPads - Zero
They now disguise them as enhancements.
Latest Forum Posts