Computer Related > Edge "Save password" Computing Issues
Thread Author: Ambo Replies: 6

Edge "Save password" - Ambo
Internet Explorer no longer being supported I have Microsoft Edge installed on my computer. One of its undesirable characteristics is the little "Save password" box that appears when I log into a password-protected site. It shows my member number (which is o.k.) and my password (which is not). The password is in asterisks but easily opened by a click on the "eye" icon to the right.

Potentially a great convenience but it is all too easy to click this into acceptance. Surely this would mean anyone at all accessing my computer could walk straight into sensitive accounts, such as bank and building societies? How can I ensure it no longer appears?

Interestingly, car4play is the only such site i have come across that displays my membership number (in fact, email address) but leaves the password box empty for me to fill in. This is the way I would like all of them to be.
 Edge "Save password" - Crankcase
Settings, passwords, turn off "offer to save passwords".
 Edge "Save password" - VxFan
>> Surely this would mean anyone at all accessing my computer could walk straight into sensitive accounts, such as bank and building societies?

Does your PC not require a password to access it then, when first switched on or woken up from hibernation/sleep mode? This should be your first defence in stopping anyone accessing your website login information.
No, never needed one so far. Normally only manual insertion of passwords has been needed.
Settings, passwords, turn off "offer to save passwords".

Won't that turn off membership numbers as well? I want to keep those.
 Edge "Save password" - Crankcase
I don't know, to be honest. I just let it save them. You might be right, both or neither.
 Edge "Save password" - smokie
If by membership numbers you mean login usernames I suspect they'll be OK as AFAIK they are generally in cookies whereas the passwords are someplace else.
Latest Forum Posts