Computer Related > HTML/Plain Text switch Computing Issues
Thread Author: Ambo Replies: 10

HTML/Plain Text switch - Ambo
It may be that moving from Internet Explorer to MS Edge has upset my email service, but I can't now see which of the above text versions I am using or how to switch between them. There is no longer any obvious facility via the Home, Send/Receive or View tabs. Where can I find this information please?
 HTML/Plain Text switch - smokie
What email client do you use? Outlook? If so which browser you use ought not make any difference.
 HTML/Plain Text switch - Ambo
Outlook. Using Internet Explorer, there was a tab to check but not with Edge.

With IE, I used occasionally to get a warning to use only plain text but I can't now recall from whom.
 HTML/Plain Text switch - Bromptonaut
>> Outlook. Using Internet Explorer, there was a tab to check but not with Edge.
>>
>> With IE, I used occasionally to get a warning to use only plain text but
>> I can't now recall from whom.

Choosing plain text or HTML was a 'thing' when the net was young and most people were on 56k dial up as it saved bandwidth. Some very old mail clients struggled with HTML.

These days HTML is pretty much default. It's a long time since any retailer/utility/banl offered me the choice of Plain Text. I can though send that way from work where we use Google Mail.
 HTML/Plain Text switch - VxFan
HTML email can include embedded malware, plain text cannot.
 HTML/Plain Text switch - Zero
>> HTML email can include embedded malware, plain text cannot.

It wasn't sent as plain text. It was sent and received as HTML
Last edited by: Zero on Mon 12 Apr 21 at 13:24
>> It wasn't sent as plain text.

I never said it was.
So your very misleading point was?
 HTML/Plain Text switch - Bromptonaut
>> So your very misleading point was?

Wary of impinging on your determined attempt to provoke a spat but I think VX was providing another reason, over and above mine of bandwidth, as to why people might prefer plain text email to HTML.
>> >> So your very misleading point was?
>>
>> Wary of impinging on your determined attempt to provoke a spat but I think VX
>> was providing another reason, over and above mine of bandwidth, as to why people might
>> prefer plain text email to HTML.

And my point was, it matters not because the dodgy email is already residing in your inbox. It wasnt a spat, merely concern at misleading someone into thinking they are safe.
Last edited by: Zero on Tue 13 Apr 21 at 09:36
>> So your very misleading point was?

Just Google it if you're not sure. I'm surprised a self acclaimed IT expert, such as yourself doesn't know.

Latest Forum Posts