Computer Related > Receiving text messages when 'phone is turned off Miscellaneous
Thread Author: bathtub tom Replies: 38

Receiving text messages when 'phone is turned off - bathtub tom
I've upgraded my old dumb 'phone to SWMBO's old smart 'phone as she decided to have a new one.
I'm in the habit of only turning it on only as I leave the house (the battery used to stay charged for weeks). The old dumb 'phone would then warble away with all the texts that had been sent.
The new one doesn't show texts unless it's switched on and doesn't show any texts sent while it was turned off. I'm still with the same provider.
I've been through all the menus and can't see anything obvious that's stopping texts, blocked numbers, do not disturb, notifications, etc.
Is it likely to be a 'character' of the new 'phone? If so, I'll be looking at returning to my old one, as the new one needs charging daily if left on. Progress, pah!
 Receiving text messages when 'phone is turned off - No FM2R
>>Is it likely to be a 'character' of the new 'phone?

No. Something is wrong.

There are places I go where there is no signal and so I turn my phone off. When I return to civilisation I turn it on and it goes nuts as it catches up on messages and alerts.

Firstly if you were happy with the old phone and don't intend to use any 'new' functionality then I'd recommend staying with the old phone. The new one is going to be hassle and short battery life for no benefit.

However, if you want to move on then obviously you need to get to the bottom of this.

Have you tried switching it off, having your wife text you, and then switch it back on to see if you get the text?

p.s. I don't understand this bit "The new one doesn't show texts unless it's switched on". Surely no phone would show a message if it was off?
>>Have you tried switching it off, having your wife text you, and then switch it back on to see if you get the text?
That's exactly how I proved it.

>>"The new one doesn't show texts unless it's switched on"
Perhaps I could have phrased that better as "it doesn't store texts when it's switched off".
I presumed my operator "knows" when the 'phone is active and only sends texts when it is active.
The operator queues text messages. They then continue to try to resend for some days. I don't know how many days but certainly more than a week.

What is the new phone? (I mean which model.)

I assume that you've put your previous SIM into the 'new' phone.

What message do you get if you try to call your phone when it is off?

Does it receive texts normally when it is on?

Does it receive calls normally when it is on?

>>I presumed my operator "knows" when the 'phone is active and only sends texts when it is active.

Kind of, the operator tries to send and if it doesn't succeed then it queues to send again. Whether that lack of success if a phone off, broken or out of range.
It's an LG K8 (2017)

The old phone took a standard SIM, I got a new, micro SIM from my operator. It's the same operator, O2, same tariff, same number.

With phone off, caller gets "we are unable to connect your call". I have voicemail off and do not receive any missed call notification.

It receives texts and calls normally when on.
The old SIM is not in any phone?

Leave it with me for a bit, I'm going to look into that phone specifically and come back when I have any idea. Unless someone else comes up with the answer beforehand, that is.
It could be the phone or a network fault apparently. The sms validity is at least 30 days unless the sender deliberately sets it otherwise.

To work out which, can you do the following?

When you got the new micro SIM I assume it came in a sort of frame or adaptor which means it could be used in a phone which requires a full size SIM - i.e. your old phone.

If so, could you please put the Micro SIM in the adapter, into the old phone. Then send it an SMS when it is off, and turn it on to see if you receive the text.
FYI. It doesn't contain what I wanted to know, but in case it's of use to you int eh future...

www.helpforsmartphone.com/public/en/lg/k8-(2017)/android-7-0/manuals/4633/pages/1/zoomManualPage?imageUrl=//imgm.helpforsmartphone.com/d05e709fec8dc41f31c9e0409f1600ad.png
 Receiving text messages when 'phone is turned off - smokie
I can see you've already done some stuff which negates this but if it were me I'd call SWMBO from my phone just to make sure the expected number appears on her inbound call.
>> I can see you've already done some stuff which negates this but if it were
>> me I'd call SWMBO from my phone just to make sure the expected number appears
>> on her inbound call.

That's fine. It works OK when it's powered on, it's just I like to get some peace and quiet at times, so I power it off. Realised I wasn't picking up text messages that were sent when it was off when I turned it back on (could be an advantage).
>>If so, could you please put the Micro SIM in the adapter, into the old phone. Then send it an SMS when it is off, and turn it on to see if you receive the text.

Nice one Mark, thank you very much, I had nothing else to do all evening. Finally found old phone, then after much more digging a SIM adaptor. Fiddle about with SIM card, adaptor and holder. Switch on old phone, then go and look for a charger (unique plug). Couple of hours later, yes, if a text is sent to the old one when it is off, then it shows up when it's turned back on. That shows it must be something to do with the new phone, I guess somewhere in settings.
I found a site that I'll try tomorrow: Get Product Help & Support | LG U.K. Support
I'll be interested to hear how you get on.

If you and your wife use different carriers that might be worth mentioning.

Receiving text messages when 'phone is turned off - Bromptonaut
I know it's obvious but have you tried turning if off and back on again and checking for pending software updates?

Work's solution to my softphone protest was to give me a Samsung A21s and a data package; the softphone app (Horizon) runs on there using EE Data.

Took several attempts to get the phone to actually connect to data. Not just the softphone app that wouldn't work, no internet at all. Turning off/on (again) and/or a software update sorted it but I don't know which as I wasn't in 'one change at a time' diagnostic mode.

Work SIM in a spare phone of my own and it was fine.

The settings in an unfamiliar phone are a total maze.
One user suggested similar issues when the date on his phone was wrong. As that usually comes from the network I can't see how that can be, but it's easy enough to check.
 Receiving text messages when 'phone is turned off - Zero
>> One user suggested similar issues when the date on his phone was wrong. As that
>> usually comes from the network I can't see how that can be, but it's easy
>> enough to check.

Synching time and date from the network is an option in settings.
I forgot to ask, did the old phone also receive all the previously lost SMSs?

If not, then the network thinks that they were delivered. It's definitely a problem on the LG.

Could also try putting your wife's SIM back in it to see if that receives messages when off. Though that may well be more work than it's worth.

A factory reset may be the easiest way.
 Receiving text messages when 'phone is turned off - R.P.
Is the new phone unlocked from its original network ?
>>I know it's obvious but have you tried turning if off and back on again
Numerous times.

>>Synching time and date from the network is an option in settings.
I'll try that.

>>I forgot to ask, did the old phone also receive all the previously lost SMSs
No, just the one test SMS.

>>A factory reset may be the easiest way.
I'll try that.

>>Is the new phone unlocked from its original network ?
Yes.

I tried it in 'airplane mode'. That successfully silenced incoming calls and texts and alerted me to a text when I switched airplane mode off. Perhaps that's the way to go when I want peace and quiet, although I'll still have to charge it far more regularly than my old phone. My old phone's still looking preferable. I've raised a query with LG support.
>>My old phone's still looking preferable

Unless there's something you really like about the 'new' phone then I think battery life will drive you nuts.
 Receiving text messages when 'phone is turned off - Dog
>>My old phone's still looking preferable

I have my wife's old MOTO E4 Plus but, the sim card has gorn back to my dumb EasyFone.

It's a phone - receives phone calls and texts. My internet access is via a 9 year-old Novatech PC and a 22" LG monitor.
Phone is a misnomer for me really. My portable device is a still and video camera, satnav, internet device, gaming machine, remote control, messaging device, a book, a TV, radio, music and video player.

But that's a bit of a mouthful so I call it my phone.

However it's used maybe four times a week as a phone, and three of those are incoming scam calls!! :-)
 Receiving text messages when 'phone is turned off - Dog
The ole 'smart' phone did come in handy last August when I was offline due to the house move.

I managed to do most things with it that I usually do on my PC but was glad to get back to my desktop jobbie.

And, talking of still and video cameras, I've recently bought a Nikon P950 'superzoom' camera purely to 'shoot' the Wallabies and Emus, etc. in the field opposite.

The Joeys (as I call them) make me die with their antics, as do the Emus when they chase the deer.

I'm hoping they acquire some Tapir - they would really crack me up :)
Got a reply from LG support: the carrier settings may be incorrect on your handset; please ensure that these are amended.
The problem is I don't know what that means.

I tried a factory reset, but that didn't cure it (although it did clear all the junk SWMBO had on it).

>>Synching time and date from the network is an option in settings
Again, I don't know what that means. The clock and calendar are correct.
 Receiving text messages when 'phone is turned off - Stuartli
From Settings, you should be able to locate Mobile Data/APN or whatever and check if your carrier, whether it's EE, Vodaphone, O2 or, in my case, GiffGaff is listed as the Default.

If not you will have to enter the correct information into the configuration.
>> the carrier settings may be incorrect on your handset; please ensure that these are amended.

That would apply if it did not receive messages at all, I don't quite see how it would apply in this case.

Somehow the network thinks the messages have been delivered and so does not resend them. However it doesn't make that mistake when it is switched on.

I need to think on it for a bit.

>>>Synching time and date from the network is an option in settings
>Again, I don't know what that means. The clock and calendar are correct.

Setting it on auto avoids any user error in time/date setting. If you're confident that it is correct then don't worry about it.

Let me think about it for an hour or two and see if I come up with an idea.

Receiving text messages when 'phone is turned off - Biggles
Ask your network provider if it stops trying to deliver sms messages if they are undeliverable for more than a set period of time.
They do, but unless the sender has specified otherwise it is a minimum of 30 days. Also, bear in mind that it works just fine when the SIM is in the other phone, so it is unlikely to be SIM or Carrier related.

It's been factory reset so it is using the standard LG SMS app. I am checking whether or not that is the standard Android app. But I expect it is.

It receives SMS when it is on, so one would think that the active carrier settings are correct.

I think it must be related to the currency of SMS that the phone receives/downloads. Longevity settings on the phone are relevant to send, not receive. So I'm just digging through to work out what setting that might be, never mind how it got changed..
 Receiving text messages when 'phone is turned off - Crankcase
Always worth trying an app cache clear (not data, and certainly not the partition unless really pushed). Cache clearing is pretty harmless but there's a faint chance it will help.

Instructions for cache clearing on a K8 here; the app in question is probably the "messages" app.

cellphoneforums.net/lg/t403069-lg-k8-clear-app-cache-data%3B-reboot-safe-mode%3B-wipe-cache-partition.html

Own risk etc.
Going back to the suggestions of updating the time from the network automatically one of the things this ensures is that you don't get AM & PM back to front.

Are you sure that the date is entirely correct. If not, somewhere under date & time settings you should find the option to set it from the network automatically.

If you think anything was wrong, then test sending a message to it when it is off again.

Also, how are you switching it off?
I double checked the date and time, they are correct, it is on auto.

I switch it off by holding down the power button on the back for a second or two. That then gives me the options:
power off
power off and reset
turn on airplane mode
cancel

Selecting power off gives me: power off the phone?
cancel
power off

Selecting power off turns it off.
Sorry, I've studied and thought and have no further ideas. For some reason the network thinks an SMS has been delivered when it hasn't.

It's almost as if there's a second device with the same SIM in it also switched on.

Sorry again but I am out of ideas.
I've done some digging on this phone. It was only available for four months before it was discontinued!
The spec. claims it had a 480 hour standby time and 18 hour talk time! I reckon it only lasts around 48 hours on standby.
I've found a 180 page user guide online (unfortunately half of it's in Polish). I'll sit down and do some reading.
If I leave it in airplane mode, it alerts me to texts when it's switched back, so I'll probably do that and see if it improves the battery time. I might look into replacing the battery.

Unfortunately a smart phone is probably going to be so much more useful than a dumb one when we start getting out and about again (QR codes and suchlike when visiting venues).

www.helpforsmartphone.com/public/en/lg/k8-(2017)/android-7-0/

Post the semi-polish link you've got and I'll have a look at that.

You're right about the Smartphone usage for QR codes etc..

>>If I leave it in airplane mode, it alerts me to texts when it's switched back

Yes, clearly switching it on and off does not notify the network the way it should.

Receiving text messages when 'phone is turned off - Dave_
Just a thought...

Is the sender's number stored in your phone's phonebook?

Some phones divert messages from unknown numbers to a different inbox and don't notify you. Kind of like the spam/junk filter on your email account.

I could think of a few other quirks that might be causing the problem. I'm not a professional, more an enthusiastic amateur who's had a mobile since the networks were developing in the mid-90s and a little technical knowledge was helpful to get them to do what you wanted.
>>Is the sender's number stored in your phone's phonebook?

Yes.
I've finally resolved this. SWMBO, bless her little cotton socks (she doesn't read this) was sending the messages to an obscure email address I rarely use, where they were ending up in spam.

I've now taught her the difference between sending an email and an SMS.

The phone will show any texts when switched on again, sent to it while switched off.

Sorry Mark for wasting your time and thanks for the effort you put in. I'm apologising to other forums also.
No worries at all, BT. Thanks for resolving the mystery.

I trust you were calm, sympathetic and understanding?
>> I trust you were calm, sympathetic and understanding?

No doubt as much as you'd be in similar circumstances.

>> No doubt as much as you'd be in similar circumstances.

My problem is sighing. I say all the right things, I do all the right things, but I keep letting sighs of various weights slip out.

It does me no good.
Latest Forum Posts