Computer Related > Goodbye Windows 10 Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Robin O'Reliant Replies: 19

Goodbye Windows 10 - Robin O'Reliant
Windows "Final" version of it's operating system which Microsoft promised would be upgraded FoC for life will no longer be supported after 2025.

Instead it will be replaced by a completely new OS, still to be named.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-57443598

Ho Hum.
Last edited by: Robin O'Reliant on Tue 15 Jun 21 at 15:55
 Goodbye Windows 10 - VxFan
>> Instead it will be replaced by a completely new OS, still to be named.

Windows 11?
 Goodbye Windows 10 - tyrednemotional
.....I think they'll call it "Eric".....
 Microsoft unveils Windows 11 operating system - No FM2R
www.bbc.com/news/technology-57598554
 Microsoft unveils Windows 11 operating system - Kevin
Wow! A new Start button!

Yawn.
 Microsoft unveils Windows 11 operating system - Falkirk Bairn
I thought I would have a look.
You get a tool to find out if your PC/laptop is suitable.

i5 processor - plenty power
8Gb memory - plenty
1TB disk - plenty room

There are other techie type hurdles which I do not understand.

Ran the test - PC not suitable for Windows 11

I have to stay with W10 apparently.
 Microsoft unveils Windows 11 operating system - smokie
Compatibility tester is here www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-11

My home built PC is, it says, 6 years old and the processor is inadequate to run Windows 11 (Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4690 CPU @ 3.50Ghz).

It fulfilled the other requirements so maybe I can upgrade it reasonably cheaply when the time comes.
 Microsoft unveils Windows 11 operating system - Robin O'Reliant
My Dell (New this year) can run it.

Apparently the upgrade is free.
 Microsoft unveils Windows 11 operating system - Zero
>> Compatibility tester is here www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-11
>>
>> My home built PC is, it says, 6 years old and the processor is inadequate
>> to run Windows 11 (Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4690 CPU @ 3.50Ghz).
>>
>> It fulfilled the other requirements so maybe I can upgrade it reasonably cheaply when the
>> time comes.

It will run fine on that config. I'm running windows 10 on a atom.
Yeah I think it would. The machine whizzes along anyway. I can't see my specific processor model on ANY Windows release so I guess as I've installed Windows successfully it doesn't do the check at install time.
 Microsoft unveils Windows 11 operating system - Biggles
In theory, Windows 11 should only run on 8th generation and above Intel chips.
www.theregister.com/2021/06/25/windows_11_processor/
 Microsoft unveils Windows 11 operating system - Bromptonaut
>> In theory, Windows 11 should only run on 8th generation and above Intel chips.
>> www.theregister.com/2021/06/25/windows_11_processor/

Won't work on mine apparently; processor (non Intel) is not supported.
 Microsoft unveils Windows 11 operating system - Dog
No go for my 10 year-olde Novatech PC. Not sir prising really being I upgraded it from Win 7 to 10 last year.
 Microsoft unveils Windows 11 operating system - zippy
Sticking with Windows 10 here...

My current laptop is 3.5 years old with a still fairly powerful Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6820HK CPU @ 2.70GHz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s) and an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 graphics card doesn't cut the mustard apparently!

Microsoft unveils Windows 11 operating system - VxFan
Say's my 7 year old Advent desktop won't run Win 11 as the processor isn't supported.

Win 10 64-bit.
Intel Core i7-3770 CPU @ 3.40 GHz.
8GB of RAM.
AMD Radeon HD 7700 series.
 Microsoft unveils Windows 11 operating system - tyrednemotional
I think the requirement for TPM (Trusted Platform Module) along with Secure, UEFI boot is going to be an absolute requirement, whereas the processor and other technical requirements may well be recommendations that will allow you to run, but "unsupported". The latter will become clear as more people attempt the migration.

TPM is quite an unpleasant one; AIUI, Win11 won't boot without it's presence, and it is likely to not be available by default on many Home machines. There are a number of possibilities:

1. TPM (or Intel PTT) is present and enabled, and the compatibility test will pass

2. TPM is present but not enabled - BIOS settings should fix that

3. TPM is not present, but there is a header to which a TPM module can be attached and enabled in BIOS. If the option is available, it's relatively simple in a desktop, possibly less so in a laptop (They used to be fairly cheap, but scalpers have preempted the demand, and current availability is low, and prices high)

4. There is no TPM capability possible, so WIN10 it is.

Most reasonably recent machines (we're talking a good few years) will be UEFI secure boot capable, but may not be set up that way. BIOS changes will correct that under many circumstances, but (depending on Microsoft's mechanism) may complicate migration.

My older laptop isn't, I think, going to get anywhere near Win11, my NUC should qualify as is, my desktop will need an add-on TPM module (they were about £10 before the scalping) but the processor currently looks like it won't pass official qualification.

FWIW, bets are being placed on Microsoft removing the TPM requirement as it is going to be a pain for the average user. It's certainly possible, but I think a desire to move to a more secure state will probably win out.
I'm not sure be that bothered if I can't run Windows 11. It seems to me that during the life of Windows 10 Microsoft have got the idea of making some stuff either virtually inaccessible or just much clumsier to use, and that can only get "worse".

I do understand that it is usually ultimately for our own benefit (like throwing up warnings before running programs), also that you can turn it off, but I wonder what they might do next.
 Microsoft unveils Windows 11 operating system - Robin O'Reliant
>> I'm not sure be that bothered if I can't run Windows 11.
>>

I can't wait and I'm already looking forward to Windows 12. As for 13, bring it on!
 Microsoft unveils Windows 11 operating system - Crankcase
When it comes to changing pretty much anything at all, my questions are:

Does it offer me anything new I care about?

Will anything I already have break?

Will it alter the way that what I already do works?

The answer to the first question has to be a very firm yes to outweigh the others.

At first sight Windows 11 falls into the "not doing it until forced" category for me.

Microsoft unveils Windows 11 operating system - tyrednemotional
Further to my notes on TPM above:

My (reasonably recent) motherboard does not have a TPM installed, but does have a header to which one could be fitted. Normally, I'd be able to get one for <£10, but the scalpers have bought them all up in anticipation of the demand.

However, as I also noted, a good few machines have the TPM capability, but simply have it disabled in BIOS. As I read more, it became apparent that a large number of current CPUs (not motherboards) have the TPM capability in firmware (and again, this might or might not be enabled; Bios will indicate).

I've just successfully enabled mine (in an AMD processor) through BIOS settings - one step closer to Win11 compatibility (not that I'm going to be desperate to update).

One warning about using a firmware CPU-embedded TPM is that, if you use Bitlocker for encryption, the key will be held in the CPU (not a motherboard TPM) and changing the CPU will lose all your access to bitlocked files. (I don't think that will be an issue for most home users).
Latest Forum Posts