Computer Related > Cell Phone advice needed please. Company Cars
Thread Author: No FM2R Replies: 20

Cell Phone advice needed please. - No FM2R

My wife has a newish Redmi Note 7. Quite a good phone but she's been complaining about it lately, turns out it has 400mb free!!

I can't really work out the problem. It has 12GB in "Other Files" but I cannot for the life of me work out what "Other files" actually are.

So I think it's factory reset time and I have some doubts.

Play Store used to hold a library of all the Apps that you had installed, even if you installed them, so reinstalling them was a simple, if tedious business. It also restored the data as one reinstalled each app.

However, as far as I can see Play Store no longer does that.

So, given my wife's horrendously eclectic list of apps, what is going to be the best way of going about this.

I am concerned that I risk changing the daily "my phone's rubbish and doesn't work and you chose it" complaints for loud and persistent claims of "App x or data y is missing and it's your fault".
 Cell Phone advice needed please. - sooty123
Is do nothing an option?

Looking at your last option, might be the best option.
>> Is do nothing an option?

I wish. But at some point the phone is going to stop working all together and that will definitely be my fault and will no doubt be an emergency that needs fixing in 10 seconds.

Better to face it now, I think/
 Cell Phone advice needed please. - smokie
I'd use one of the more reputable cleaners before trashing it. Caches seem to often hold loads, each app can have one. CCleaner does the job but I just install it, use it then delete it cos I don't want it doing stuff without me knowing and I don't trust it. If she uses social media much there could be a large number of video/music clips tucked away.

Check the DCIM library for many photos or videos.

Stick it on a PC and see if there are any hidden folders (folder name starts with .)

SWMBOs recent new phone installed itself quite well without much to do with the Google account details.

You can screenshot the screens showing the apps to recreate them if you want but that's tedious. Though in SWMBOs case she takes more time arranging the screens than anything!!

I don't think many of the backup programs will copy certain app data (for instance progress on Candy Crush, but there must be other more important things) so it's worth asking if there is anything on it she can'[t afford to lose, and make sure it's all being run from an account in the product which may back it up, or explicitly back it up somehow.

I tend to keep a list of the apps on my phone (use something like List My Apps, but they sometimes report subroutines or ssl's or whatever you'd call then under Android) - but then I do have 520 apps installed now :-)

PS you used to be able to (and maybe still can) move programs to the SD card. But that was when the whole phone only had 12gb internal storage (e.g. my Xperias). As you know, the answer is to find the issue and fix it, not just paper over it.
Last edited by: smokie on Wed 30 Jun 21 at 18:35
 Cell Phone advice needed please. - zippy
Is there a cloud service that you can upload all of the apps and data to before wiping the phone and then re-installing or is a complete image back up to PC available?
>> Is there a cloud service that you can upload all of the apps and data
>> to before wiping the phone and then re-installing or is a complete image back up
>> to PC available?

The only one that I can find on the phone backs it all up onto the phone first and then transfers it to the PC which isn't going to work.

But the thing that really concerns me is that if I simply restore the back up then surely I am also likely to restore the problem?
I thought they showed the size of each app and associated files so you could see which one was causing the problems and not restore that app / files.

BTW, Is there a really long video(s) there or film as these can be huge?
>> I thought they showed the size of each app and associated files so you could
>> see which one was causing the problems and not restore that app / files.
>>
>> BTW, Is there a really long video(s) there or film as these can be huge?
>>

I can't find it. I have 12GB in "other files".

It's not music, video, photo, document, cache, download, gallery, WhatsApp or backups.

It doesn't show up in "large files". It isn't any form of recycle bin. I have set it to "show hidden files" and found nothing. It's not games, it's not a local copy of cloud storage. I've checked many other things also which I've forgotten to list here.

I've ruled out everything I can think of to the point I can think of nothing other than a reset.
I'm sure you've tried these but just in case...

smartandroid.fr/en/comment-liberer-de-lespace-sur-mon-xiaomi-redmi-note-7/

Is there a TEMP folder - I know it's a different O/S but work's laptop had about 20gb of .tmp files on it recently.
Last edited by: zippy on Wed 30 Jun 21 at 21:14
Thank you Zippy, but I think I've tried anything and so no I am focussing on trying to make sure I don't forget anything and then I shall reset it.

If you don't hear from me after today then please send a wreath,
>> I'd use one of the more reputable cleaners before trashing it.

Tried several and it didn't really move me forward. Though I didn't try CCleaner so I'll give that a go.

>> Caches seem to often hold loads

Done.

>>If she uses social media much there could be large number of video/music clips tucked away.

Done.

>> Check the DCIM library for many photos or videos.

Done.

>> Stick it on a PC and see if there are any hidden folders (folder name
>> starts with .)

Not done. I'll give that a go.

>>so it's worth asking if there is anything on it she can'[t afford to lose,

She will give the wrong answer and that too will be my fault.

>>(use something like List My Apps,

Better than nothing, I'll give that a go.

>>As you know, the answer is to find the issue and fix it, not just paper over it.

To be honest the goal is to kick the can 6 months down the corridor.

Appreciate the input.
 Cell Phone advice needed please. - Kevin
Buy a new phone with more storage and restore the Apps to that. Keep the old one as a reference/emergency.

"Thank-you darling. I'm going to bed, will you be long?"

Damn cheapskate.
 Cell Phone advice needed please. - Zero
Are you sure playstore does not restore all the apps? It does on mine, tho its not in the obvious place it used to be.

Sounds suspiciously like your chi phone has been blacklisted by google, I know wahwey wasnt the only maker Trump was going after.
>>Are you sure playstore does not restore all the apps?

No I am not sure.

>>tho its not in the obvious place it used to be.

I am sure that's exactly my issue. Can you point me to where it is now?
 Cell Phone advice needed please. - Stuartli
I have a Xiamoi Mi 9T Pro (Redmi is the name used on the slightly cheaper versions by the manufacturer, which also has Black Shark, Mi and Pocophone brand names) and I clear the most used apps' caches about once a week (via Settings>Apps>Manage Apps).

I have no problems with Google in any form, including the Play Store, with the Mi 9T Pro, which is made by a Chinese company created in 2010.

Occasionally I will receive a message offering to clear up Junk files etc, but although I prefer my approach, it might prove useful in this case.

There's no doubt Xiamoi phones are remarkable value for money - I paid £300 for mine, which has a top specification, including a Snapdragon 855, 128GB storage, 6GB RAM, all Gorilla Glass 5 body and a 6.39in Super AMOLED screen.
Last edited by: Stuartli on Wed 30 Jun 21 at 19:56
I realise that thanks to a typo I wasn't clear about Google Play. Apologies.

To try to explain....

Google Play used to keep a record of all Apps that you had ever installed, even if you had subsequently uninstalled them. Consequently when resetting a phone it was fairly simple to scroll down that list onad click on the ones that wanted reinstalling, which then would be reinstalled with their data.

Google Play has been updated to hold app details under "Manage apps and device" within the Google account, at least as far as the menu location is concerned.

However, I cannot find that it still has the list of everything that had ever been installed. Maybe it no longer does that or maybe I am simply not looking in the right place.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Wed 30 Jun 21 at 20:03
Open play store, on the search menu bar at the top, click on the icon to the right of the mic, the icon should be you if you are logged in to google

Manage apps and devices

Manage

click "installed" drop down and you get installed / not installed bar at bottom to press
Excellent, thank you. I'd never have found that.
been in your shoes, found it eventually, but even now it took me a while to find it again
 Cell Phone advice needed please. - Netsur
They moved it from the most obvious location 'Play Store' to somewhere linked to the photo of the gmail account holder attached to the phone.... Still can't work out the logic of that.

I have just swapped phones from a Moto G6 to a Samsung S10 and all the app transfer was all done via Bluetooth. It was the easiest phone swap I have done.
"No, I don't know my [xxxxx] password, don't you? Well can't you just change it to something I do know?"

FFS.
Latest Forum Posts