Computer Related > Help with Word Processor/spreadsheet Computing Issues
Thread Author: Falkirk Bairn Replies: 11

Help with Word Processor/spreadsheet - Falkirk Bairn
Treated myself to a new PC - that's the good news. The bad news is that I cannot download MS Office 2010 and migrate it to my new machine - I did that in 2016 when I was given a new PC by my boys for my 70th.

MS wants to sell me Office 365 for an annual fee. That would be fine but my use is limited to a few letters and the odd small spreadsheet definitely not donating £50 to Microsoft every year.

I know there is Libre/Apache but does anyone know of a "simple office package" along the lines of Microsoft Works (discontinued 2009) - that would be enough for me?

Any suggestions welcome.
 Help with Word Processor/spreadsheet - Crankcase
I've been using just Office 2007 since, well, whenever it came out. I have the latest Windows 10 and it all just keeps working. Looking on eBay, you can get an original CD with a key for not much - would that get you out of trouble?

Perhaps it wouldn't install - mine was already on it when I went to Windows 10. But it's a cheap non subscription solution if it works.
Last edited by: Crankcase on Sun 8 Aug 21 at 08:26
 Help with Word Processor/spreadsheet - Zero
The open office forks - Libre/Appache etc have more or less wiped out all the other simple suites. Might as well install it, its not over ambitious with disk space, installs well under win 10 and has good enough office compatibility and similar menus for every day life.

Last edited by: Zero on Sun 8 Aug 21 at 08:45
 Help with Word Processor/spreadsheet - Bromptonaut
Can you access an installation disc for office 2010?

I'm using it in Windows10 without any issues except it keeps reminding me it's unsupported.

Like the OP, under normal circumstances I'm only using Word and Excel nd the limited to odd bits of domestic admin plus the odd document that downloads as docx or rtf.
Thanks for the suggestions.

My MS Office was a download from MS + a 25 code sequence was emailed to me.
Had I had the original disks then I am sure it would just have been a case of borrowing a DVD drive and pressing go.

The new laptop does not have a DVD drive - lots of memory and is considerably faster than the old i5 but like most new machines the DVD is no more.
 Help with Word Processor/spreadsheet - Robin O'Reliant
I muse Works and got mine from ebay -

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/174350438311?hash=item2898188fa7:g:xTAAAOSwKaVfD3cR
 Help with Word Processor/spreadsheet - Bromptonaut
I had works on an early PC but I don't think all versions included Word never mind Excel.

There's also an issue with pre 2007(?) versions where they cannot resolve documents in .docx format. That was an issue for me while working in the Quango where we were on Word 97 until well after 2007.
 Help with Word Processor/spreadsheet - smokie
Are you using it on Windows 10 RoR? I don't see why it wouldn't work but some older things don't.
 Help with Word Processor/spreadsheet - Robin O'Reliant
>> Are you using it on Windows 10 RoR? I don't see why it wouldn't work
>> but some older things don't.
>>

Yes, I'm on W10 and it works perfectly.
 Help with Word Processor/spreadsheet - Stuartli
>> The new laptop does not have a DVD drive - lots of memory and is considerably faster than the old i5 but like most new machines the DVD is no more.>>

USB external DVD drives are cheap these days at around £15 upwards.

Re word processors. I use Jarte, simple but effective:

www.jarte.com/
 Help with Word Processor/spreadsheet - No FM2R
With your level of usage I would download Libre and never think about it again. The pros & cons of various approaches are really irrelevant for an occasional user.

I'm a reasonably heavy user and even for me Libre / Office was a fairly marginal decision.
Gave Libre a quick run yesterday it was fine.

Thanks again.
Latest Forum Posts