Computer Related > Trail Camera Computing Issues
Thread Author: Robbie34 Replies: 25

Trail Camera - Robbie34
I have a problem when I play back recordings on my trail camera and wonder ikf anyone can help.

I user this to record the hedgehogs visiting my garden. Everything has been fine until the last few nights when i have played back the recordings. The camera is set to record two minute clips from 9.30 PM until 6.30 AM. There are usually about 40 clips and playback starts at clip one at the first visit in time. However, for the past two nights the clips have been played back out of sequence. Instead of showing clip 1 in chronological order up to clip 41, it is showing clips out of sequence. For instance it will show clip 2 at 9.45 PM instead of clip 1, and then another clip say 29 at 3.00 AM. It continues like this showing all clips completely out of sequence.

Is this a problem with the camera or the card? I have formatted the card rather than delete the clips.

Trail Camera - Zero
If you have formatted the card, its a camera issue.

Stuff the card in your PC and see what the clip numbers and timestamps are. If you don't have a card reader your trail cam might have a USB interface.

There might be some kind of "factory" reset in the camera menu.

Trail Camera - No FM2R
Probably simply that you have organised the files by something other than chronological order.

When I look at pictures on my pc it will show them in the order that Explorer has sorted them. So try looking at them and make sure they are sorted by time, and try again.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Mon 4 Oct 21 at 13:35
 Trail Camera - Falkirk Bairn
Re-format the car & try it.
If it still fails use a new card that you know is OK or buy a brand new card from a known brand.

Some cameras have limits on the capacity that they can handle - you do not say how new/old the camera is or whether it is a £20 Ebay type buy or you have a recognized brand of camera or card.
 Trail Camera - Robbie34
It's a decent trail camera that cost about £80 last year and has performed perfectly until the past few days.

When I open the card on my PC all of the clips are in chronological order. The card is a San Disc Ultra 32gb which is the maximum size allowed.
 Trail Camera - Zero
Do the clip titles match the time chronology? ie 0001.jpg, 0002 etc etc.
 Trail Camera - Robbie34
Yes,
 Trail Camera - Zero
Then its the camera playback system, It using a different file properties other than timestamp to play back, possibly size based, check the camera settings, or do a factory reset.
 Trail Camera - Robbie34
There is no means of doing a re-set. I have removed the batteries and left it for some hours. I have also used another card. I'll try it tonight and see how it goes.

Thanks for suggestions.
 Trail Camera - Duncan
Robbie, you haven't said which make and model of camera you have - have you?

On my camera, if the power is disconnected, the device reverts to factory settings. If I want to change them I can go through the settings, item by item.

May I suggest you format the card and then go through the settings?
 Trail Camera - Robbie34
I have reverted to factory settings and formatted another card but it has made no difference.

It must be a problem with the camera and it's way out of its warranty. I shall ditch it.
 Trail Camera - tyrednemotional
I suspect it's not going to make much difference, but did you format the card in the PC or in the camera? (I'd definitely want to try after the latter).
 Trail Camera - Zero
>> I have reverted to factory settings and formatted another card but it has made
>> no difference.
>>
>> It must be a problem with the camera and it's way out of its
>> warranty. I shall ditch it.

I cant see thats its an issue large enough to dump an otherwise working camera. As you confirmed, all the files are in correct chronological and title order on your PC, which is where you want to watch them anyway? not on the tiny trail cam screen.
 Trail Camera - Robbie34
I have formatted the card and used another good card.

The clips are in chronological order when I look at the individual files on the drive in my PC. I don't view them on the camera, I view them on my PC. Unfortunately, when I view them on my PC they are not in order.
 Trail Camera - Falkirk Bairn
How do I sort photos by time taken?
Go into the Picture folder and set the View to Detailed. Next Right-click on the Name column heading, and select Date Created, this will add a 'Date Created' column. Now just Left-click on the 'Date Created' column header and the pictures will be sorted by the date/time they were created.
 Trail Camera - No FM2R
In windows explorer, with the files displayed (detail, icon, name or anything), right click, choose "sort by" and then whatever you want.
 Trail Camera - VxFan
>> Unfortunately, when I view them on my PC they are not in order.

As pointed out, it's a setting on the PC that's causing that, and no fault with the camera at all by the sounds of it.
 Trail Camera - Robbie34
Thanks for all of your help. The problem is with the software; VLM. I bought another camera from Amazon -it's going back - with the same fault.

Can anyone recommend another piece of software. VLM was seemless, when it worked, and I would like something similar. By seemless, I meant that it scrolled through the clips automatically and I could move to the end of the clip and move to the next one. I have set the clips for two minutes.

With Windows Media Player I can't easily go to the end of the clip and then I have to click on the next file.
Last edited by: Robbie34 on Sat 9 Oct 21 at 17:00
 Trail Camera - Zero
Before you go changing, try removing it, then download and reinstall a newer version. It may fix the issue.
 Trail Camera - smokie
So you are wanting to view a folder full of video files, and play them continuously without interruption in date/time order, automatically skipping to the next file?

I sometimes use VLC Media Player for video stuff, which seems to do it if you open a folder of video (just tested it here), or a number of video files in a folder (Open Multiple Files). Unless that's what you're using (not VLM?). I think it's playing in alphabetical order.
 Trail Camera - Robbie34
Sorry, I meant VLC.
 Trail Camera - Robbie34
I uninstalled VLC and then downloaded the new version. Hey presto, this morning all is back to normal.

I have a new problem: I bought some AA lithium ion batteries, charged them and put them in the camera. On some of the clips it says low battery and then cut out. They indicate full on the camera and good on my EVO DX tester. However, I have put them in my smart charger and they appear to be charging. Any ideas?
 Trail Camera - Zero
AA L'ion batteries are nominally 1.25* volts, Alkaline are 1.5 volts.

with 4 of, the device is expecting to see 6v, but might only be seeing 5v

*some might be higher
 Trail Camera - Bromptonaut
>> AA L'ion batteries are nominally 1.25* volts, Alkaline are 1.5 volts.
>>
>> with 4 of, the device is expecting to see 6v, but might only be seeing
>> 5v
>>
>>
>> *some might be higher

Are there rechargeable AA Lithium batteries?

Those I buy for Garmin GPS and household weather station are single use and are nominally 1.5V
 Trail Camera - tyrednemotional
>>
>> Are there rechargeable AA Lithium batteries?
>>

...Yes..

Alkaline AA batteries will nominally deliver 1.5V

NiMh AA rechargeables will nominally deliver around 1.2V (which is why there are warnings on certain devices not to use rechargeables)

Li-on AA rechargeables will nominally deliver 1.5V (differentiating them from NiMh)

I do wonder, however, whether in this case an appropriate charger has been used. I suspect it's unlikely that a charger optimised solely for NiMh batteries (at 1.2V) would fully charge a Li-on unit to 1.5V.
 Trail Camera - Robbie34
All sorted. My charger was not suitable and despite being a smart charger was for 3.5 volt lithium ion batteries and not 1.5v AA. I used my phone charger and eventually all eight were fully charged.
Thanks for all of your help.
Latest Forum Posts