Computer Related > Hijacking my WFH set up Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Bobby Replies: 15

Hijacking my WFH set up - Bobby
I have a twin monitor set up with my work laptop.
It is connected through a HP Displaylink 4k “Hub”. The laptop is connected by a USB-C cable that is hard wired to the hub.
I would like to use my laptop with the twin screens to do home stuff in the evening but my laptop is older and doesn’t have USB-C.
All other peripherals are plugged into the hub , keyboard, mouse and headphones.

Is there any way I can make this work with my laptop?
 Hijacking my WFH set up - tyrednemotional
...that would depend on the exact model of hub being used... (and the nature of the connection via the USB-C cable - i.e. is it actually "Thunderbolt").

If you're lucky, some models of the HP hubs appear to support use via a simple USB-A to USB-C converter.

e.g.

www8.hp.com/h20195/v2/GetPDF.aspx/4AA7-5549ENW.pdf
Mines looks pretty identical to this
 Hijacking my WFH set up - smokie
Simple converter - did you mean something like this?

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/194667354910?hash=item2d53141b1e:g:X7wAAOSwJ2thyGNO
Ah right so is that all I am needing then?
Worth giving it a try for that money. The original response looks like it should have been included in the box but don’t think I got that or if i did I have binned it!

So, in theory, just use that adaptor, plug into one of my laptop USB ports and it should work (once I set up the screens in windows obviously)
I don't know, I've successfully used adapters like that to plug USB sticks into my phone but I've no idea whether it'd support video. Depends how it's wired I suppose, not all USB cables are wired the same way (which is why one won't charge at high speed, or do data).

Also need to check male/female arrangement (oo'er) aligns with your need.

T&E will return to clarify no doubt but as you say, worth a try for that money.
 Hijacking my WFH set up - tyrednemotional
As I said, much depends on the hub itself, but the particular example I linked to above does appear to support USB A via an adapter. (Male A to Female C)

I think you may need to be careful which adapter you buy, however. The one Smokie linked to above might work, but I can find references on the web to adapters that specifically say they support video (as opposed to the prime target potentially being phone charging).

I would suspect that any video connection might also depend on your laptop (is it still working after the SSD upgrade and re-image?) having a usable USB 3.n port. (Which it probably would) and using a USB 3.n capable adapter (speed matters with video).

I still think you should find a cheap one.

(And, as Smokie says, not all leads are the same. Some are charging only, some are charging and data, etc.)
 Hijacking my WFH set up - sherlock47
And, as Smokie says, not all leads are the same. Some are charging only, some are charging and data, etc.

Has any one found a sure fire way of identifying the capabilities of a usb-microusb cable? Other than trial and error. I am surprised that there is not a labelling standard.

It's sort of worse too because some which charge don't Quick Charge and SWMBOs Moto has a later standard (Fast Charge I believe).

This para may be rubbish as I've not managed to verify it. But the colour of the plastic bit in the computer end of the socket (USB-A?) seems to be significant. Blue quick charges (QC) and purple Fast Charges (20W) as far as I can see. Obviously your equipment (both ends) also needs to support whichever standard you're trying to use, whether it's a charger or a computer. Doesn't help much with data though, but I suspect that cables supporting the later standards are more likely to also support data transfer properly.

Must admit I've stopped buying cheap cables, and binned those cheap ones which don't work properly for me.
 Hijacking my WFH set up - Stuartli
I acquired a LENCENT Quick Charge 3.0 Charger, 30W Main USB Wall Fast Charger Plug, 2 Ports and US/UK/EU Travel Adapter for Apple, iPhone, iPad, Galaxy, Note, LG a couple of years ago, which charges at a rate according to the capabilities of the device.

It doesn't seem to be on sale any more on Amazon, but no doubt there are other similar offerings.

Incidentally Xiaomi's phones over the last 18 months to two years will charge from zero to 100 per cent in around 16 minutes.....

Hijacking my WFH set up - Bromptonaut
Similar question from me.

On 01-04-21 I'm being transferred on TUPE terms from one Citizens Advice to another.

The current employer was content for me to use my own PC to access web based services and information storage on Google's cloud. The new outfit would prefer me to use their laptop and docking station and will provide a screen, keyboard etc.

I already have a decent sized screen for my own PC and enough desktop clutter. I am contemplating connecting the docking station to it and using my own keyboard and mouse via what I believe is called a KVM switch so they're shared with my own PC - a tower that lives under the desk.

Amazon etc have any number of KVM switches at a wide range of prices.

Are there brands to go for/avoid or any pitfalls I may be missing?

My own PC uses HDMI to connect the screen. Would a KVM allow input from a docking station with an old fashioned VGA connector while outputting via HDMI?
I used to use KVMs at work and home many years ago so I'm not up to date with them really but never worried about the brand, just went for the cheapest :-) and never had any problems with them.

However are you saying the new company laptop doesn't have HDMI output? I think most less than about 4 years old (maybe more) would have. A quick glance on Amazon shows most will take 2 HDMI inputs to one output. Under £30 seems reasonable.
>> However are you saying the new company laptop doesn't have HDMI output? I think most
>> less than about 4 years old (maybe more) would have. A quick glance on Amazon
>> shows most will take 2 HDMI inputs to one output. Under £30 seems reasonable.

I work in the charitable sector. We thrash IT kit until it dies on its feet; the tower PC I've used in the office today is badged 'Vista Ready'!!

I don't know yet whether the docking station will be new or re-allocated from somebody else.

Just covering the bases...
Ah yes - must admit in my last paid job in a bank they seemed to be heading towards doing the same rather than automatically replacing kit every x years. Partly because they were able to as the local PC had become more of a dumb terminal and partly because they were hoping to move to a BYOD (Bring Your Own Device) policy.

So if you need mixed video inputs or outputs that'll probably determine which KVM you need (if there is such a beast)
>> However are you saying the new company laptop doesn't have HDMI output? I think most
>> less than about 4 years old (maybe more) would have. A quick glance on Amazon
>> shows most will take 2 HDMI inputs to one output. Under £30 seems reasonable.

Picked up laptop and other stuff from a manager's car on a car park in Market Harborough. Lappy is a modern (new?) HP device with HDMI video output. Actually provided with a 'docking station' but seems just to be a black box to feed video, K/M data and headset audio to from the lappy over USB. Not bothered with it.

Simple KVM bought from Amazon:

tinyurl.com/zf56rncx

Works like a treat. Toggle between work and personal computer at the press of a button.

Configuring the lappy to work lid down and adding a Bluetooth headset means I can stow it under the desk so no extra clutter at all.
Did you get anywhere with this Bobby?

Only it's been suggested to me by a knowledgeable guy who reads here occasionally that the USB C to A converter idea could be a waste of time & money as

"it won’t support video because his docking station will be using Thunderbolt via the USB C socket. USB C is more than a protocol/plug because it also can carry video (DisplayLink) and power.

"In all likelihood the work laptop is using the Thunderbolt connection for both USB (keyboard and mouse) and display. Unless your own laptop has Thunderbolt (so a Mac or one of the small number of Intel based laptop with TB) then it will only work for keyboard and mouse."

I'd trust that info but someone else may have a different view.
Last edited by: smokie on Sun 10 Apr 22 at 09:26
Latest Forum Posts