Computer Related > RAM Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Robin O'Reliant Replies: 7

RAM - Robin O'Reliant
My desktop (Dell Inspiron) has only a measly 4Gb RAM which is choking it. I could add another 4 Gb but I was wondering if I could add 8 bringing it up to 12GB. But I seem to recall that at one time you had to have two matching size memory sticks, is that still the same?
 RAM - tyrednemotional
Much will depend on the particular PC/motherboard.

The requirement/recommendation for matching memory banks is generally to do with performance where the motherboard can run in dual-channel mode (and will only do so with matched memory, preferably in both capacity and other characteristics).

Many motherboards will cope with non-matched banks, albeit taking a performance hit over and above those that are matched, since dual-channel working will be inhibited.

Post the make/model of your Dell and I'm sure someone will be able to point you at recommendations.
 RAM - Robin O'Reliant
Inspiron 3881.
 RAM - smokie
I don't think so but two matching work faster IIRC. Have you got the manual for the motherboard, that might tell you the best configuration. Mine takes 4 sticks max and I am sure they don't all match, I think one pair do but the other two slots just have a couple of sticks I took from other machines.

4Gb isn't much these days and probably would give problems with Windows 10 but you could also spend a few minutes to try to identify anything which might be taking up lots of memory, using Task Manager and Resource Monitor.

EDIT: I had nearly finished typing this then got a call so T&E beat me to it, but we seem to broadly agree.
Last edited by: smokie on Mon 30 May 22 at 12:06
 RAM - sherlock47
With Dell machine in the past I have found that the DELL site gives you much of the info that you need. Assuming the DELL service Tag is still available.
 RAM - tyrednemotional
If you want to play, you could try anything, but it would be a risk if in contravention of documentation.

The specs for that machine state that it will run with a single bank of 4/8/16/32GB memory, or a dual bank each of 4/8/16/32GB modules (as a matched, dual channel pair).

It is DDR4 and likely to be DDR4/2666 (unless you have a core i7, in which case it just might be DDR4/2933. (the appropriate speed can be checked on the existing stick).

Whilst it is possible it might run with unbalanced bank capacity, I wouldn't want to risk it. I'm also very wary of running an unmatched pair (i.e. not identical) given the documentation.

I think your best bet is to either:

i) replace the single 4GB bank with a larger single bank of 8/16/32GB to choice, or

ii) better, IMO, throw the 4GB and install a matched pair at 2x4GB, or 2x8GB.

I'm also nowadays very careful about memory compatibility, and would choose based on the PC or memory manufacturer guaranteeing it. (though AMD tends to be more picky than Intel).

On that basis, and using "Crucial" as a benchmark, compatible 2x4GB matched would be around £32, rather better would be 2x8GB at around £63 (this latter being DDR4/3200 running at 2666).
Last edited by: tyrednemotional on Mon 30 May 22 at 12:37
 RAM - Zero
Knowing you as I do, and assuming you are a bit of a cheapskate, I'll bet you went for the Intel Celeron model. In which case sticking 12gb of memory on it is a bit like putting lipstick on a pig.

Either way, I doubt you are a power user, so 12gb is a bit of overkill.

Stick another 4gb in it to give you 8.
 RAM - Robin O'Reliant
>> Knowing you as I do, and assuming you are a bit of a cheapskate, I'll
>> bet you went for the Intel Celeron model. In which case sticking 12gb of memory
>> on it is a bit like putting lipstick on a pig.
>>
>>
>>

HAH!

It's a Pentium, so there.

I think I'll go for either another 4GB from Dell or a single 8GB from Crucial, can't be 'Arrised messing about.

Thanks all for the advice.
Latest Forum Posts