Computer Related > Mobile phone problems Miscellaneous
Thread Author: John Boy Replies: 10

Mobile phone problems - John Boy
My partner uses an Artfone CS182 mobile phone, which I think runs a version of Android. I call her using an iPhone XS. There's been a change recently which may have begun with a call from her, announced on my phone by her number, rather than her name. Now I and other iPhone users can no longer get through to her phone, although you can get through with another Android phone or a landline.

I get one of 2 messages when I try to call: "this person's phone is currently unavailable, please try later or send a text" or "this person's phone is switched off"

The instructions for her phone are minimal, but I've worked through the onscreen menus and done a reset without success. Any ideas, please? She's in a care home and my next chance to try anything else will be on Friday 23rd.
 Mobile phone problems - Biggles
Only thing I can think of is that your iPhone is set to hide caller ID and the android phone is set to block calls from hidden numbers. The problem seems to be at your end though.
>> Only thing I can think of is that your iPhone is set to hide caller ID and the android phone is set to block calls from hidden numbers. The problem seems to be at your end though.
>>
Neither of those settings are in use. The problem may be at my end, but it seems to be the same for other iPhone users.
 Mobile phone problems - Bobby
Won’t help with your main issue but previously I discovered that when a contact suddenly was only showing a telephone number then it transpired that for some reason I had the contact saved to both sim and phone and therefore duplicated, so the phone ID just showed the number rather than name.
 Mobile phone problems - car4play
Have you tried clearing the Android phone app data and cache? Maybe it’s got in a twist.
Settings->Apps & Notifications->Phone->Storage and data -> Clear
Then restart
>> Have you tried clearing the Android phone app data and cache? Maybe it’s got in a twist.
Settings->Apps & Notifications->Phone->Storage and data -> Clear
Then restart
>>
The phone Settings are crude compared to those, but I would have thought that a Reset would have given the same result. I certainly had to re-enter the names etc in the Phonebook.
 Mobile phone problems - smokie
Presume you can call everyone else OK? One time I had a problem which might have been to do with the SIM networks not playing together nicely in some way, but that was years ago and unlikely here.

If practical, could you swap sims in your phone with another or even with the Android and see how the problem changes, if at all?

Can any iPhones at all get through?

Can she call you OK? (Is her account all paid up and active...)

Do you mean you did a Factory reset on the iPhone or something else?

On iPhones there is, apparently, a Silence Unknown Callers option, it's not selected is it?

I also read that if you call *#31# from the iPhone it may fix it. However that simply withholds your number as far as I can see.

Other suggestions included

- On the Android (this was a Samsung) Go to settings, connections, mobile connections, enhanced LTE services, and uncheck the advanced HD voice and advanced communications box

- Go to Connections, Mobile Networks, turn off the VoLTE calls
Last edited by: smokie on Thu 22 Sep 22 at 00:11
Thanks for all of the suggestions so far. Trying to answer those from smokie:

I can call everyone else OK.

Sim swapping - I replaced her phone recently and still have the original and will try her sim in that tomorrow. If I can call that, then the problem must be in the new phone.

I've only been able to try one other iPhone so far.

She can call me OK. The account is paid up and active.

I did the Factory reset on her Android phone, not my iPhone.

Silence Unknown Callers is not set on my iPhone.

I'm reluctant to try *#31# at this stage.

I'll look into the other suggestions tomorrow, but I don't recall some of those options on the Android phone.
Update:
Finally sussed that Android is usually used on smartphones - the Artfone CS182 isn't one.

Ended up having an online chat with a Lebara agent (the Artfone is using a Lebara SIM). The agent asked for the number I've been calling. It turned out that there was a stray 2 in the middle of it, making it 12 digits rather than 11. The only callers who were getting through were those who got the number from my partner calling them.

I can't work out how I might have accidentally inserted the 2 into her entry in my phonebook, so the whole episode will remain a mystery.
 Mobile phone problems - MD
FFF :-)
 Mobile phone problems - T junction
Is that "Fat Finger Fault", or one of these acronyms.thefreedictionary.com/FFF
Latest Forum Posts