Computer Related > IE8 slow in closing down separate opened tabs Miscellaneous
Thread Author: VxFan Replies: 12

IE8 slow in closing down separate opened tabs - VxFan
I tend to open a few browser windows (ctrl + clicking on the link). After an evening of surfing, closing these tabs seems to get slower and slower to the point where it can take approx 10 to 15 seconds for an individual browser tab to close. There doesn't seem to be any pattern to when it happens or what website I am viewing at the time. It just seems to happen randomly with no warning.

I don't think it's a RAM issue (there's 2 GB of it). Pentium 4 3.20 GHz processor. WinXP Home SP3 operating system.

At the moment when it happens I have to reboot the PC to sort it out.

Any suggestions other than stop opening multilple browser tabs?
 IE8 slow in closing down separate opened tabs - Focusless
Have you looked at the Task Manager Processes tab to see if the CPU % is high, and whether it's IE if it is? If the % is low then it might be waiting for something over t'internet.

It's not going to solve anything but it might hint at what's happening.
 IE8 slow in closing down separate opened tabs - rtj70
This sounds re-produceable so if it were me:

- See if it can be made to happen in a browser apart from IE 7
- When the PC is running fine check how much free memory there is, page file used, and other processes
- Repeat step two when the problem occurs - compare states to see if you can spot what is happening

I would not be surprised if a process initiated via a web-browser session (e.g. Flash) is taking system resources and preventing things shutting down.
 IE8 slow in closing down separate opened tabs - ....
Other than using the IE8 Tools to clean up after itself do you do any other maintenance ?

Index.dat files fill up and never get cleared down. If you have user accounts you could try logging in as the Administrator and deleting the index.dat files from the user account(s).
There is also a utility I use from systenance.com which empties the contents of these files but will not reduce its size. This helps the performance.

I run a similar setup on one of our laptops. XP Media SP3 with 2GB RAM.
Last edited by: gmac on Sun 7 Mar 10 at 21:00
Thanks guys. You've given me a few things to try. Not done much browsing tonight so the problem hasn't yet occurred.

I did however do a bit of googling earlier and found a suggestion to open a Command Prompt window, then run the following command: regsvr32 actxprxy.dll and then reboot the PC. www.edbott.com/weblog/?p=2443 (among many websites making the suggestion)

Straight away I've noticed additional tabbed windows opening quicker, which was another problem I forgot to mention earlier. Sometimes the tab would just 'hang' and a website wouldn't open.

>> Other than using the IE8 Tools to clean up after itself do you do any other maintenance ?

I run CCleaner every few days.

I'll report back if the problem still occurs and try some of the suggestions made if it does.

Cheers.
 IE8 slow in closing down separate opened tabs - rtj70
IF that command has worked then it's reregistered a DLL related to ActiveX.
Touch wood, since running the command regsvr32 actxprxy.dll I've had no further problems.
>> Touch wood since running the command regsvr32 actxprxy.dll I've had no further problems.

Did I really say that some 3½ weeks ago? How wrong I was.

I might have fixed the IE8 tab closing problem by running the above line in a command window, but I don't think that was the real cause of the problem. My internet connection has been getting slower and slower. Some websites wouldn't even open, including this one, until I had refreshed the page several times. Some evenings it would be fine, others not. If I rebooted the PC then everything appeared to be ok for a little while again. I knew it wasn't my internet connection as when I use the laptop on the same connection everything was fine.

I uninstalled IE8 and reverted back to IE7. All ok for a little while, then the same problem again. I tried numerous 'fixes' found via a google search, all to no avail.

Tonight however I think I've traced the real culprit. My antivirus software, namely AVG. Following my hours of googling, I found several mentions of AVG's link scanner and Zone Alarm causing conflicts with one another. Having uninstalled and reinstalled AVG without the Link Scanner option everything now appears to be ok again. Time will tell.
Last edited by: VxFan on Sun 4 Apr 10 at 21:25
 IE8 slow in closing down separate opened tabs - merlin
AV software often cause systems to slow down. Malware (viruses) can also badly upset IE.

Out of interest why don't you try a different browser? Chrome is very good as is SRWare Iron which I've just started using. With ads blocked (sorry) and flash blocked it flies along even on my netbook with 30+ tabs open.
>> Out of interest why don't you try a different browser?

Opera was also experiencing similar problems. Also when I was checking my emails through Outlook Express, that would also hang as well.

As said though, the problem seems to point to a conflict between the Zone Alarm and AVG software.

forums.zonealarm.com/showthread.php?t=73429

forums.avg.com/ww-en/avg-free-forum?sec=thread&act=show&id=40485

Since stopping Link Scanner from installing when I reinstalled AVG, I've had no further problems with OE, IE8, and Opera.
Last edited by: VxFan on Mon 5 Apr 10 at 00:19
 IE8 slow in closing down separate opened tabs - Pat
Why not try Avast?

It's so much less obtrusive with the updates than AVG and I've never had any problems with it.

Pat
 IE8 slow in closing down separate opened tabs - Iffy
Avast works for me.

Microsoft Security Essentials is supposed to be quite good, too.

It ought to work well with Explorer.

www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/
>> Why not try Avast?

I may well do if AVG plays up again.
Latest Forum Posts